ADVERTISEMENT

Nice read on Nmswho's struggling football program by ESPN

I don't think they should move down to FCS. Football is what keeps the other sports afloat. They got over 27,201 fans for the first game- more than either of the first 2 UTEP games. NMSU does a fantastic job at marketing- that is how they got all those people for their first game. If UTEP did the same, they could get over 30k.

I don't think they should move down to FCS. Football is what keeps the other sports afloat. They got over 27,201 fans for the first game- more than either of the first 2 UTEP games. NMSU does a fantastic job at marketing- that is how they got all those people for their first game. If UTEP did the same, they could get over 30k.

NMSU only got those fans for the first game because local businesses agreed to buy the tickets and give them away. NMSU is just doing what it can to stay over the 12,000 Seat requirement set by the NCAA.

I think Martin is a good coach for them, but they should really consider moving down to FCS. Also, I had no idea Kansas State sucked that bad (similar to us) before Snyder--this tells me there is hope for us in UTEPIA.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-new-mexico-state-aggies-take-ole-miss-rebels

Oh yeah, Kansas State was an embarrassment and another NMSU of college football prior to 1989. They sucked rocks! UTEP was coming off a 88 Independence Bowl high and was actually better than Kansas State back then. But Stull left for Missouri and UTEP hired good ol' homer David Lee and dragged UTEP right back down to the lows that Stull took UTEP out of. Things got worse and worse during the Lee era and it was so bad that during one afternoon game against Hawaii, the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors (yup, that was their original name) were yelling at the UTEP Sean Gray led offense to look alive and play some football. Man, that was embarrassing as a Miner fan. Wait, it didn't get any better. UTEP then hired Charlie Bailey, another good ol' boy who accidentally, but stupidly, sent actual video of UTEP's game plan for...guess who...yup, Hawaii! What happened is that it is customary for teams to share video with each other before game day. Bailey's staff sent some video to them, however, on that same video towards the end was UTEP's game day plans for the Rainbow Warriors. It's all public news, just Google it. UTEP is not much a step above NMSU currently.

I am just glad Metz pulled that game out three weeks ago.

Sadly, NMSU is just like the famous book, "The Milagro Bean Field War" which takes place in southern New Mexico. Always got shafted by Santa Fe through out history.....always has, always will.

I sincerely hope that ESPN will not be doing a future, similar story on UTEP. I do not feel that we are in a position to gloat right now...

NMSU only got those fans for the first game because local businesses agreed to buy the tickets and give them away. NMSU is just doing what it can to stay over the 12,000 Seat requirement set by the NCAA.
At least their AD is tying new things to get fans to the games. Who cares if businesses buy the tickets or not. What does Stull do??????? Its hard to knock NMSU's attendance now because ours is just as bad.

Politically, UTEP has big money going to bat for them in Austin and it's paid good dividends the last few years... thank heavens! NMSU doesn't have that much luck. Don't get me wrong, NMSU has some big money boosters and rumor out of Los Crotches is that they are hitting them up hard during this difficult time.

However, Sunland Park Race Track is the programs life support and the race track is doing fine. As long as Texas remains a bunch of hypocritical Bible thumping goobers and keep betting illegal, NMSU will survive because of the race track.

And your point is? The seats for the basketball games next to me are sold and nobody ever goes to the basketball games. Local businesses here do it too- that's why you see a lot of empty seats sometimes.

Reactions: Epsilon00
Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT