ADVERTISEMENT

2024 CUSA Football Predictions

It’s year 1. I don’t expect them to beat anyone besides Southern Utah and Kennesaw St. As long as they don’t lose 77-0 every game, I would be okay with going 2-10. I’m more interested in seeing how many stupid penalties and wasted timeouts are done this year.
Fresh air of realism. Sounds more realistic than us losing Scotty to a P5 after year 1.

It’s year 1. I don’t expect them to beat anyone besides Southern Utah and Kennesaw St. As long as they don’t lose 77-0 every game, I would be okay with going 2-10. I’m more interested in seeing how many stupid penalties and wasted timeouts are done this year.
Don't have huge expectations, but I'd put UTEP a little ahead of NMSU. 3 or 4 wins would be my prediction if I had to throw one out there. Same as you I'm more interested in how they play.

Don't have huge expectations, but I'd put UTEP a little ahead of NMSU. 3 or 4 wins would be my prediction if I had to throw one out there. Same as you I'm more interested in how they play.
My minimum expectations is two wins with one of them beating Southern Utah. They should beat KSU, but if they substitute that win somewhere else, that’s fine too. With that being said, I think they can easily win 3 to 5 games, but I don’t expect that, nor should anyone else.

Kugler won 2 games his first year and Dismel won 1. Nord and Price won 8, I think that’s unrealistic, but still very possible. For sure they lose to Nebraska and Tennessee, but all the others are relatively “winnable”.

My minimum expectations is two wins with one of them beating Southern Utah. They should beat KSU, but if they substitute that win somewhere else, that’s fine too. With that being said, I think they can easily win 3 to 5 games, but I don’t expect that, nor should anyone else.

Kugler won 2 games his first year and Dismel won 1. Nord and Price won 8, I think that’s unrealistic, but still very possible. For sure they lose to Nebraska and Tennessee, but all the others are relatively “winnable”.
Liberty is definitely not winnable!

Liberty is definitely not winnable!
Yes, it is. The Miners will probably lose that game. Liberty is not Alabama. They’re not Ohio St. They’re not Oregon. They’re still a CUSA team. They’re a good team and a good program, but UTEP beating them, would not be shocking. They’re a conference opponent.

It is a winnable game. That doesn’t mean anyone should expect UTEP to beat them in 2024. UTEP will probably lose, but Alabama would beat UTEP 99 or 100 times out of 100 games. Liberty is not even close to that level. They don’t even play P4 teams.

Yes, it is. The Miners will probably lose that game. Liberty is not Alabama. They’re not Ohio St. They’re not Oregon. They’re still a CUSA team. They’re a good team and a good program, but UTEP beating them, would not be shocking. They’re a conference opponent.

It is a winnable game. That doesn’t mean anyone should expect UTEP to beat them in 2024. UTEP will probably lose, but Alabama would beat UTEP 99 or 100 times out of 100 games. Liberty is not even close to that level. They don’t even play P4 teams.
Ok, so interestingly you are always 99% down on UTEP and now you're defending them. Have you ever got checked for BP? Lol 😆 Or are you just turning over a new leaf and having a bit of hope? With your logic though then Nebraska is winnable. Liberty is definitely not Alabama, but they are bringing lots back from a team that played in the Fiesta Bowl. So they are better than Nebraska obviously!

Reactions: shyminer81
Ok, so interestingly you are always 99% down on UTEP and now you're defending them. Have you ever got checked for BP? Lol 😆 Or are you just turning over a new leaf and having a bit of hope? With your logic though then Nebraska is winnable. Liberty is definitely not Alabama, but they are bringing lots back from a team that played in the Fiesta Bowl. So they are better than Nebraska obviously!
Is there a reason why someone shouldn’t be down on a school that hasn’t been to the NCAA tournament in 14 years and has 1 bowl appearance since 2015?? With zero conference championships since then either?

There is some hope in football because of the new coach. That doesn’t mean they will be good next year, but at least Dana Dismel is gone.

Nebraska is a P4 and that isn’t “winnable” either, since UTEP can’t even beat Northwestern or any other P4s. Liberty is not a P4. They only beat and play trash schools. The are the tallest midget in CUSA.

Liberty made the Fiesta Bowl and lost 45-6 to Oregon. They had to play a real team for once. Instead of Bowling Green, UMass, Buffalo, Old Dominion or UTEP like they usually do.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Is there a reason why someone shouldn’t be down on a school that hasn’t been to the NCAA tournament in 14 years and has 1 bowl appearance since 2015?? With zero conference championships since then either?

There is some hope in football because of the new coach. That doesn’t mean they will be good next year, but at least Dana Dismel is gone.

Nebraska is a P4 and that isn’t “winnable” either, since UTEP can’t even beat Northwestern or any other P4s. Liberty is not a P4. They only beat and play trash schools. The are the tallest midget in CUSA.

Liberty made the Fiesta Bowl and lost 45-6 to Oregon. They had to play a real team for once. Instead of Bowling Green, UMass, Buffalo, Old Dominion or UTEP like they usually do.
Yeah, I didn't say you weren't correct to be down on UTEP Mens Athletics namely Football and Basketball. I just said it was surprising to here you be another than negative and actually hear a little hope in your post lol. I personally think Liberty would beat Nebraska! Oregon would've destroyed Nebraska as well last year!

I don't see any way UTEP can go into Lincoln and win in front of 90,000 fans. However, going into Lynchburg and winning in front of 20,000 doesn't seem nearly as daunting.
First game of the new era to boot. I know the players and coaches are working their butts off but it’s a tough task to expect them to go to Nebraska and get the W in week 1. I expect UTEP to have a ton of energy and intensity but I also expect them to make mistakes especially since there was so much turnover this offseason. This team is coming in like an expansion team with all the guys they brought in. For all the work they’re doing the one thing these guys can’t build right now is that “live fire” cohesion. Guys are going fold under the bright lights, others will step up, mistakes will be made but hopefully as the season goes on leaders will distinguish themselves and the team will find their stride.

Don't forget though that of the new guys a couple WR, a couple RB, and a QB all played this system under this coach. They may or may not be ready to play at this level, and the OL may make mistakes, but there should be "skill" players who know the system well. Even if other players start, having your backup know the system will help.

Not saying we're going to win more games than anyone is projecting, but I think it's entirely possible the offense looks more polished than you think. We may not be able to tell against Nebraska either way just because of being so physically overmatched, but against USU we may see it.

IDK if anyone knows what to think about the D. I hope they are running the hell out of them because they are going to be on the field a lot regardless. A good O will score quickly and a bad O will give it back quickly.

I don't see any way UTEP can go into Lincoln and win in front of 90,000 fans. However, going into Lynchburg and winning in front of 20,000 doesn't seem nearly as daunting.
The 90,000 is whatever, yes intimidating, but crowds don't win football games, teams do. 90,000 in Lincoln with the team they had in the 90s is Daunting to say the least. However this is not anything close to what they once were. UTEP will definitely lose to Nebraska and they will most likely lose to Liberty. The only difference is UTEP will probably be a better and more experienced team when they play Liberty. The biggest problem with Nebraska is it's the 1st game!

Reactions: MINER.JAY
The 90,000 is whatever, yes intimidating, but crowds don't win football games, teams do. 90,000 in Lincoln with the team they had in the 90s is Daunting to say the least. However this is not anything close to what they once were. UTEP will definitely lose to Nebraska and they will most likely lose to Liberty. The only difference is UTEP will probably be a better and more experienced team when they play Liberty. The biggest problem with Nebraska is it's the 1st game!
You might be right. After the beating in Lincoln and the tough game against FCS Utah, this team will be ready to face Liberty! Whether we play Nebraska in the first game or Tennessee in the second-to-last game doesn't matter. UTEP has shown they can't beat Power 4 teams—whether at home, road or against previous winless teams. In my opinion, that's the biggest problem why P4 teams are unbeatable, unlike Liberty.

Reactions: FedupMiner
You might be right. After the beating in Lincoln and the tough game against FCS Utah, this team will be ready to face Liberty! Whether we play Nebraska in the first game or Tennessee in the second-to-last game doesn't matter. UTEP has shown they can't beat Power 4 teams—whether at home, road or against previous winless teams. In my opinion, that's the biggest problem why P4 teams are unbeatable, unlike Liberty.
That's why I said we'll definitely lose to Nebraska. I understand there's a little more faith in Liberty, cause they're not a P4 and it's later in the season, but I'd say 98% we lose in Lincoln and 92% we lose at Liberty. So either way we aren't winning those 2 in all likelihood.

That's why I said we'll definitely lose to Nebraska. I understand there's a little more faith in Liberty, cause they're not a P4 and it's later in the season, but I'd say 98% we lose in Lincoln and 92% we lose at Liberty. So either way we aren't winning those 2 in all likelihood.
Have you looked at the schedule?

Sat., Aug. 31 at Nebraska- Not happening

Sat., Sept. 7 Southern Utah- Yes

Sat., Sept. 14 at Liberty*- No

Sat., Sept. 21 at Colorado State- Yes

Thu., Oct. 3 Sam Houston*- No

Thu., Oct. 10 at WKU*-Maybe

Wed., Oct. 16 FIU*- Yes

Tue., Oct. 22 at LA Tech*- Maybe

Sat., Nov. 2 Middle Tennessee*- Maybe

Sat., Nov. 9 Kennesaw State*- Yes

Sat., Nov. 23 at Tennessee- Nope

Sat., Nov. 30 at NM State*- Yes

4 to 6 wins, closer to 6 if the QB situation is figured out early in the season. I don't think, Walden is here to mess around like Dimel. He's going to have his team, ready to play. Will that translate to success, early on? Maybe.

Reactions: JCorona
Sat., Aug. 31 at Nebraska- Not happening

Sat., Sept. 7 Southern Utah- Yes

Sat., Sept. 14 at Liberty*- No

Sat., Sept. 21 at Colorado State- Yes

Thu., Oct. 3 Sam Houston*- No

Thu., Oct. 10 at WKU*-Maybe

Wed., Oct. 16 FIU*- Yes

Tue., Oct. 22 at LA Tech*- Maybe

Sat., Nov. 2 Middle Tennessee*- Maybe

Sat., Nov. 9 Kennesaw State*- Yes

Sat., Nov. 23 at Tennessee- Nope

Sat., Nov. 30 at NM State*- Yes

4 to 6 wins, closer to 6 if the QB situation is figured out early in the season. I don't think, Walden is here to mess around like Dimel. He's going to have his team, ready to play. Will that translate to success, early on? Maybe.
My prediction is similar to yours. I feel we go into Less Cruces with a bowl on the line. I think the qb situation has been settled. This is Cade’s team.

L
W
L
L
W
L
W
L
W
W
L
Idk everything on the line