ADVERTISEMENT

NM Bowl Thread UTEP vs Fresno St

I’m proud of what this team did. BUT I’m still disappointed that the same issues that plagued this team all year did them in today. Awful QB play, penalties and poor game management.

I am pretty sure we will have some yapping and moaning from people in here about today but they showed themselves well and I can say I am honesty happy with this season and looking forward to next year with some optimism for once in a very long time

Next year will be tough to open at OU, vs NMSU, at UNM, Boise St at home. We will see if Dimel is actually the answer or not. I have a feeling Senter probably already extended though.

It all started during that last possession of the first half. Miners can't finish and grass is green. I expected us to get blown out but I'm still pissed because this game was winnable in the end. Hope we can continue to improve for next year when we play a tougher schedule. Hardison has to work on his mid range passes and turnovers in clutch situations. This streak of not winning a bowl game is tiresome. I'm still pissed. Go Miners.

Last edited:
Reactions: minerfan_14
Always a couple of key mistakes, turnovers, penalties, allowing score before half. What separates UTEP from being a good team is they're not disciplined. While I blame coaching, the players are put into position and need to make the right decisions. All in all very impressed with how they played against a good Fresno team with their star QB playing!! Let's get em next season!

Last edited:
We all expected to be blown out. Despite everything we did wrong we still had a chance to win in the final minutes of the game. Expectations have been raised.

It will be interesting to see if Dimel enters his 5th yeat without an extension. Setting up a win or bust year.

But he has an NFL level arm..
I'd much rather have something to work with than someone who can't throw. Right now, he's a poor man's Josh Allen. If I recall, the knock on Allen in college was that he could throw it through a wall if he could hit the wall.

He should know his deficiencies by now, and hopefully he works on them in the offseason. But it's up to him. And he's still only a sophomore.

I'd much rather have something to work with than someone who can't throw. Right now, he's a poor man's Josh Allen. If I recall, the knock on Allen in college was that he could throw it through a wall if he could hit the wall.

He should know his deficiencies by now, and hopefully he works on them in the offseason. But it's up to him. And he's still only a sophomore.
Can’t put this all on him. I thought for the most part he was outstanding today

Expected a bigger loss, but turmoil in the Fresno program certainly played a factor.

We sqeaked by D2 and lower level D1 programs, and got handled by good D1 programs. Overall, game could have looked a lot worse

Why not? You didn’t get there riding his mediocre arm. Jacob Cowing and that defense put in work all season and they’re the ones who carried this team.
He's a loyal guy. Gavin is the fifth qb in UTEP history to reach 5k yards and the first in 7 years to have a winning season. Hardison is playing until he graduates or is injured.

He's a loyal guy. Gavin is the fifth qb in UTEP history to reach 5k yards and the first in 7 years to have a winning season. Hardison is playing until he graduates or is injured.
Look at his stats in all of their losses:

Against Boise: 12/24 for 233 yards 1 TD and 3 Ints
Against FLA Atlantic: 23/46 327 yds 2TDs and 2 Ints (garbage time padded his stats)
Against UTSA: 13/30 240 yds 3 TDS and 0
Ints
Against UNT: 15/29 273 YDS 1 TD and 1 INT
Against UAB: 21/34 204 YDS 1 TD and 1 INT
And against Fresno: 12/26 252 YDs 1 TD and 1 INT.

So in UTEP’s losses Hardison completed 51% of his passes for an average of 254 ypg, to go with 9TDs and 6 INTs. Those are not good numbers.
Aside from 2 minutes in garbage against FAU Hardison’s arm didn’t carry the team. I hate to be Captain Obvious over here but you can’t win with a QB who’s going to complete 50% of his passes while throwing the same number of picks as TDs in 5 of 6 losses.

Reactions: JCorona

Against FLA Atlantic: 23/46 327 yds 2TDs and 2 Ints (garbage time padded his stats)
Ints

So in UTEP’s losses Hardison completed 51% of his passes for an average of 254 ypg, to go with 9TDs and 6 INTs. Those are not good numbers.
Aside from 2 minutes in garbage against FAU Hardison’s arm didn’t carry the team. I hate to be Captain Obvious over here but you can’t win with a QB who’s going to complete 50% of his passes while throwing the same number of picks as TDs in 5 of 6 losses.
I agree with you but all Dimel sees is the yards and the 10-10 the last 2 years in the regular season since Hardison became the full time starter.

Today Hardison shrank when we needed him the most. Had two chances at the end to take the lead and fumbled them both times.

Ints

Agree with this ^^^

But also know Corona's first sentence is true. Dimel is a loyal guy

Reactions: JCorona
Attendance was 16,422. Officially the lowest crowd of the NM Bowl history. If you don't count the 2020 covid season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT