ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Athletes and Social Media Numbers

kickballpro

MI Miner Maniac
Mar 24, 2006
Fili is ahead of his time.

Just came back from a Clinic in Dallas and one of the presenters was from an NIL start up company in Dallas that consults young athletes.

So they told a story of an athlete who is at UCF playing WR and receiving $48000. They worked on his social media, helped get him to 80k followers and now is getting $450000 as a marketer influencer/college football player.

They’re working with Blue Chip High School Freshman and cleaning up their social media, gain followers so they can be worth more to University NIL deals and Collectives. In 26 states, High School athletes can receive NIL deals. And a lot of what you can earn depends on the number of your followers.

If UTEP can get a guy with a hundred thousand followers, tweets from that player reaches a lot more people than an ad and mean a lot more to the athletic department. Hence worth more $$$.

Pretty fascinating stuff and pretty fascinating how quickly NIL related start up companies are leeching on to athletes and creating a new industry.

Very interesting. Times are definitely changing. It’s crazy but it is what it is. Hopefully our sorry excuse of an AD is trying to adapt to this new world of college athletics instead of just bashing the NIL on social media.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Very interesting. Times are definitely changing. It’s crazy but it is what it is. Hopefully our sorry excuse of an AD is trying to adapt to this new world of college athletics instead of just bashing the NIL on social media.
I wouldn’t put any money on him.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
If UTEP can get a guy with a hundred thousand followers, tweets from that player reaches a lot more people than an ad and mean a lot more to the athletic department. Hence worth more $$$.
It means absolutely nothing to the athletics department. The followers care more about the players look and personality and are mostly younger people. They’re not going to go to the Sun Bowl and pay $15 to see him play Liberty, when they can watch his Instagram reel for 20 seconds while they take a shit.

It means absolutely nothing to the athletics department. The followers care more about the players look and personality and are mostly younger people. They’re not going to go to the Sun Bowl and pay $15 to see him play Liberty, when they can watch his Instagram reel for 20 seconds while they take a shit.
Just go ahead and piss on everything, as per usual....
This wasn't about getting fans in the stands, knucklehead. It's about getting players paid.

In other words we’re about to get left behind so far that in 30 years we’ll be talking about how we used to be conference mates with Sam Houston.
We will be sharing a conference with Sul Ross by then... hell, they'll probably be in a conference above us too.

Just go ahead and piss on everything, as per usual....
This wasn't about getting fans in the stands, knucklehead. It's about getting players paid.
How does that benefit the athletics department? According to kickballs post, a UCF WR is making $450,000 because some clinic in Dallas is paying him. UCF isn’t paying him. Who is the player? Without looking it up, I bet you can’t even name 1 UCF WR.

How is that benefiting the school? Are they getting more season ticket holders? Are they getting monster ratings for their television games? Is that clinic donating to the school?

Answer those questions and see if that’s “pissing on” it.

How does that benefit the athletics department? According to kickballs post, a UCF WR is making $450,000 because some clinic in Dallas is paying him. UCF isn’t paying him. Who is the player? Without looking it up, I bet you can’t even name 1 UCF WR.

How is that benefiting the school? Are they getting more season ticket holders? Are they getting monster ratings for their television games? Is that clinic donating to the school?

Answer those questions and see if that’s “pissing on” it.
You are unbelievable....

His point appears to be UCF is benefiting from social media. Their players can make NIL money from succeeding on social media, therefore they "might" draw in better players. Better playes might mean better teams. Better teams might mean better records. Better records might mean for fans. More fans might mean more revenue.

You ONLY want to post UTEP sucks and nothing else. You take EVERY topic and spin it negatively. Why don'y you set the example and donate a million towards our athletic department? Oh, and of course, we need proof you donated anything.

I don’t think our assistant coaches make 450k. Don’t see any player at UTEP ever getting anything close to that amount.

In other words we’re about to get left behind so far that in 30 years we’ll be talking about how we used to be conference mates with Sam Houston.
Had a similar thought yesterday, but it was Utah Tech, Southern Utah and Utah Valley State. I had hardly even heard of those schools a decade ago. Now I'm feeling like they are on the upswing while we're rapidly going the opposite way. SMH.

And 30 years is quite possibly being conservative with that prognostication.

A lot of layers to it. The company, Activate NIL, is not paying players in fact they’re taking money from athletes for their service and helping them. The wr name was never given but was an example.

The guys that run it are TCU professors and they explained that High School kids are getting NIL deals now in 26 states. How do you prepare your tax returns when the child you claim just received 250k?

How does an athlete have a clean social media account that isn’t going to bite a collective or company in the ass down the road?

If you’re a gorgeous Volleyball player with a million followers, how do you negotiate more money because you are worth more in influencer marketing?

LSU has a gymnast that is blowing up their revenue. She is a Gold Mine for the University. How does she negotiate her NIL deals?

And as it pertains to the Athletic Department, the Athletics Department at TCU is making it mandatory for all their athletes to meet with Activate NIL. Gary Patterson was out in front of this working with Activate NIL.

Influence Marketers are valuable to the a collective and to corporate interests. Influence Marketers are extremely valuable to a school. A shirt they’re wearing could move merchandise, drive interest in enrolling in a college, bring in new fans possibly.

In this new NIL space, an athletes social profile is going to determine their worth. The investors into the collectives know as well as the Athletic Departments.

<throws hands up> regarding the evolving collegiate athletic landscape

EDIT: regarding the evolving athletic landscape - cuz it now includes high schoolers!!

Middle schoolers next?

You are unbelievable....

His point appears to be UCF is benefiting from social media. Their players can make NIL money from succeeding on social media, therefore they "might" draw in better players. Better playes might mean better teams. Better teams might mean better records. Better records might mean for fans. More fans might mean more revenue.

You ONLY want to post UTEP sucks and nothing else. You take EVERY topic and spin it negatively. Why don'y you set the example and donate a million towards our athletic department? Oh, and of course, we need proof you donated anything.
How is UCF benefiting? Show me how they benefit from someone else paying this WR money.

UCF is already in the Big 12, has been in the Top 25, made a big bowl game. How do they benefit from this. UTEP isn’t competing with UCF anymore. They have already passed us, pre-NIL.

I don’t have $1,000,000 so how could I donate it to UTEP? It’s not negative, this just doesn’t lead to what you think it does.

<throws hands up> regarding the evolving collegiate athletic landscape

EDIT: regarding the evolving athletic landscape - cuz it now includes high schoolers!!

Middle schoolers next?

Two NAIA, basketball coaches have told me, that most college coaches keep tabs on, or have assistants do it, 6th graders that attend their camps. Those two coaches also talk about NIL deals and social media now at their bball camps, with middle schoolers in attendance. It's a brave wild new frontier out there.

• Sad
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Fili is ahead of his time.

Just came back from a Clinic in Dallas and one of the presenters was from an NIL start up company in Dallas that consults young athletes.

So they told a story of an athlete who is at UCF playing WR and receiving $48000. They worked on his social media, helped get him to 80k followers and now is getting $450000 as a marketer influencer/college football player.

They’re working with Blue Chip High School Freshman and cleaning up their social media, gain followers so they can be worth more to University NIL deals and Collectives. In 26 states, High School athletes can receive NIL deals. And a lot of what you can earn depends on the number of your followers.

Pretty fascinating stuff and pretty fascinating how quickly NIL related start up companies are leeching on to athletes and creating a new industry.

I thought this was going to be about social media stats?? You were going to post numbers? Like who has the most followers??

This is nothing new anyone with a brain knows social media is important.

How long is it going to take, before people realize they are throwing their money away on nothing. If we go in to a depression like many economists predict, all that money is going to disappear and a bunch of lawyers are going to be the ones hitting the jackpot.

Reactions: kickballpro
I thought this was going to be about social media stats?? You were going to post numbers? Like who has the most followers??

This is nothing new anyone with a brain knows social media is important.
Is Tortuga’s still open on the westside? This place was a Miner hangout.

Reactions: MinerFan79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT