ADVERTISEMENT

OT but UTEP related: No guns in UTEP professors classroom

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
I say good for him. You know what happens a lot on college campuses? Love gone bad and sadly becomes violent (usually a female is the victim). Why do think college coaches sometimes hide the (domestic) abuse of their players from the public? Because it happens more than you think. Allow a gun on campus and that's just a recipe for more violence, IMO.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/features...pires-UT-professors-207778.shtml#.VgAwaTZRGUk

I'm not necessarily a proponent of the idea that guns should be permitted everywhere. In packed places like sporting events and movie theaters, for example (and that might or might not include classrooms), carrying guns might be counter-productive, as I don't see a way of squeezing off a shot without significant danger to innocent people.

That being said, the fact that entire campuses have been gun-free zones has allowed crazed gunmen (see Virginia Tech) to wreak havoc. It's not the legal carriers who cause such havoc and the hope is they would provide a bit of deterrent against the clearly illegal variety that aspire to shoot up campuses.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. The people who have the permits are mostly the responsible ones.

As the offspring of an Army officer trained to help South American governments help to fight (pre narco) terrorist. Guns don't deter, they invite.

As the offspring of an Army officer trained to help South American governments help to fight (pre narco) terrorist. Guns don't deter, they invite.

Like I stated before, guns don't kill people, people kill people. If somebody wants to kill somebody, they will kill somebody (whether it is or isn't a gun free zone and whether or not they have a permit).

If you think violence goes up in areas where guns are legal, you are 100% wrong. There is more violence in gun free zones.

"well, that gives me about as much hope as a hitchhiker at night" John Karges; (Texas) Conservationist

Like I stated before, guns don't kill people, people kill people. If somebody wants to kill somebody, they will kill somebody (whether it is or isn't a gun free zone and whether or not they have a permit).

If you think violence goes up in areas where guns are legal, you are 100% wrong. There is more violence in gun free zones.

I dont post here a lot but I do read from time to time. The bolded statement has always been funny to me. If guns don't kill people, people kill people.... then guns don't save people either, people save people

I dont post here a lot but I do read from time to time. The bolded statement has always been funny to me. If guns don't kill people, people kill people.... then guns don't save people either, people save people

Why is the statement funny to you? What don't you agree with?

Like I stated before, laws don't matter for people that want to kill somebody. I laugh when I hear people say that gun violence will go up if carrying a gun is legal because the facts show that is not the case.

Not sure Chi, but how in the world are these statements stating facts?
You are TRYING to argue about something.....anything....debate class...

thread derailed....shocking

Not sure Chi, but how in the world are these statements stating facts?
You are TRYING to argue about something.....anything....debate class...

thread derailed....shocking

Here are the facts. Go read them. If you need any more information, just let me know.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2012/12/14/connecticut-school-shooting-gun-control/1770345/

http://eaglerising.com/1842/guns-dont-kill-gun-free-zones/

http://americangunfacts.com/

An analysis of the FBI crime statistics found that states that adopted
concealed carry laws REDUCED:

8.5%
Murders
5%
Rapes
7%
Aggravated Assaults
3%
Robberies

Reactions: Epsilon00
Saying guns kill people is like blaming the alcohol for imparing judgement when an idiot kills someone in a DWI. Its not the idiots fault for deciding to get behind the wheel while drunk, its the alcohols fault for imparting his judgement when he was driving.
Pretty much all of these mass shootings are premeditated, so if guns were illegal/banned, they would have still found one.

How is the thread derailed? The original comment was about guns and we are talking about guns. Just because you don't know how to respond and not smart enough to respond with anything coherent, you just come up with "the thread was derailed".
Most people on here only want to accept the facts they want to accept, if not they label you as a troll. They live in fantasy land.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/gun-free-zones-mass-shootings

Won, comparing the US to Mexico? I hope you see the issue with that. Let's take the UK, ie a first world, industrialized country with the resources and will to enforce their laws. Gun ownership is frowned upon so much there that even the cops aren't armed for the most part. There were 44 gun related murders there in the last year that I cared to look for (2012). That represents a day and a half in the US.

If guns guarantee our safety, then why isn't the US the safest place in the world? We do lead the world by a large margin in the rate of private gun ownership.

Reactions: develman
Either we're a country of laws, or we're Vietnam. Just because some professor doesn't like the people's laws doesn't mean he can ignore them with impunity.

Chi, my ONLY point to you is you want to argue. It's that simple. You use THIS board to argue/debate.

I don't think Oliva meant funny as in haha, but as is odd. I'm fairly certain he wasn't laughing, but of course you need to debate the topic.

I'm not here to debate stupid crap with you to help you get your jollies. Kids these days....

And if you like to compare intelligence levels, well never mind.....

I will agree....guns don't kill people. Idiots holding the guns do. Other circumstances do fall into play, but whenever we find a cure for mental disease, then we can reduce stupid homicides.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/gun-free-zones-mass-shootings

Won, comparing the US to Mexico? I hope you see the issue with that. Let's take the UK, ie a first world, industrialized country with the resources and will to enforce their laws. Gun ownership is frowned upon so much there that even the cops aren't armed for the most part. There were 44 gun related murders there in the last year that I cared to look for (2012). That represents a day and a half in the US.

If guns guarantee our safety, then why isn't the US the safest place in the world? We do lead the world by a large margin in the rate of private gun ownership.

The United States has about 5 times the people of the UK.

Chi, my ONLY point to you is you want to argue. It's that simple. You use THIS board to argue/debate.

I don't think Oliva meant funny as in haha, but as is odd. I'm fairly certain he wasn't laughing, but of course you need to debate the topic.

I'm not here to debate stupid crap with you to help you get your jollies. Kids these days....

And if you like to compare intelligence levels, well never mind.....

I will agree....guns don't kill people. Idiots holding the guns do. Other circumstances do fall into play, but whenever we find a cure for mental disease, then we can reduce stupid homicides.

Message boards are all about debating. This would be a very boring board if everybody agreed with everything.

It's funny that you now say it's "stupid crap" because you aren't intelligent enough to come up with anything. You people make me laugh who act big and call people out and then hide in a corner when they are called out and don't have anything intelligent to add.

Last edited:
The United States has about 5 times the people of the UK.
Fine. Then like a week's worth of killing in the United States? You could also say that the UK is 6 times more densely populated than the US. So, it ought to be a lot easier to find someone to shoot and kill in the UK or less likely in the US.

Oh, and guns don't kill people? I guess that explains the thriving black market for knives and swords and bayonets and really heavy rocks. Lord help us if ISIS ever runs into that giant cache of lances they've been looking for. In fact, the average person probably doesn't even need a gun. There's more than enough cutlery in one's home to defend it.

Like I stated before, laws don't matter for people that want to kill somebody. I laugh when I hear people say that gun violence will go up if carrying a gun is legal because the facts show that is not the case.

It's funny because it can be switched around as I did. saying " guns dont kill people, people kill people" it's a simple play on words. the fact of the matter is that no matter what you do, just by owning a gun you are more likely to experience gun violence than someone who does not have one

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...e_the_risk_of_homicide_accidents_suicide.html

There is nothing wrong with owning guns. The problem is that we allow ridiculous types of ammunition to be sold and it's way too easy to get a gun. Another problem is that we believe everyone has to own a gun in order to save others. Don't give me that " oh if they're a criminal they don't follow the laws anyways". Not every good citizen that buys a gun legally stays a good citizen

Last edited:
Credible reports indicate that there were students on that campus that were permitted to have CCW. Oregon law allows for CCW on college campuses. These incidents happen so fast - there's little or no time to react to an angry or sick individual's desire to destroy.

I Think some of you gun control advocates have lost the point. The debate of gun ownership was never about whether it deters or encourages violence among citizens. The second amendment was designed to keep the balance of power in control of the citizen.

A govt who has no fear of a legitimate uprising, is one that has no fear of implementing oppressive law.

Now, we can argue all day about the likelihood of our gov't turning into a controlling and oppressive system, but what can't be argued is that an unarmed population is at a disadvantage when it comes to balance of power.

People are too quick to hand over all their tools of empowerment to governments, even though these governments ( including our own) willfully abuse the power given to them....

You were saying?
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199310073291506

Read the study.... Keeping a gun in the home carries a murder risk 2.7 times greater than not keeping one.
I dont know about that study. If an unbalanced person wants to kill some one at home there are many things they could do to commit a crime. They are going to do it anyway. I love drinking beer. I keep it in my fridge. I enjoy a cold one here and there. But I'm not an alcoholic. Some genius can make a study that says that people that have beer in their house are most likely to have a DWI or go on a drunken rage and beat their wife.

I dont know about that study. If an unbalanced person wants to kill some one at home there are many things they could do to commit a crime. They are going to do it anyway. I love drinking beer. I keep it in my fridge. I enjoy a cold one here and there. But I'm not an alcoholic. Some genius can make a study that says that people that have beer in their house are most likely to have a DWI or go on a drunken rage and beat their wife.

Exactly. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Alcohol doesn't create DWI's, people do. etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT