ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
I think anyone who has spent significant time in El Paso as an adult, should be skeptical or cautious about anything the city is involved in. The only major project I can remember being completed on time, is the ballpark. The children’s museum will be “ready” in August, but when was it supposed to be done? How is that street project on Pellicano going? Of course we have the lovely downtown “arena” debacle.

Anyone claiming “big acts” are coming is full of shit. Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, etc, they’re still not stepping foot in El Paso. This venue will attract Korn, Disturbed, Bruno Mars, and anyone that has ever played Speaking Rock or the Coliseum.

My daily life is spent growing and expanding El Paso to create a better life for everyone (even you Nattybry). My negative take on the amphitheater is a realistic one based on how our City Govt. literally chases the headline and then pushes the project aside letting it fail. I hope this project turns out to be a Class-A project and brings entertainers to El Paso that we have never been able to pull.

The hotels next to the project at the Candlewood and Towneplace Suites. Both are total dumps and not hotels that would be part of any major project like this. I know that a local developer was in talks to bring a high-end hotel to this project but the City was so difficult to work with that he terminated discussions.
Maybe they can resurrect that Great Wolf Lodge plan that was scrapped and build it near the new amphitheater.

I think anyone who has spent significant time in El Paso as an adult, should be skeptical or cautious about anything the city is involved in. The only major project I can remember being completed on time, is the ballpark. The children’s museum will be “ready” in August, but when was it supposed to be done? How is that street project on Pellicano going? Of course we have the lovely downtown “arena” debacle.

Anyone claiming “big acts” are coming is full of shit. Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, etc, they’re still not stepping foot in El Paso. This venue will attract Korn, Disturbed, Bruno Mars, and anyone that has ever played Speaking Rock or the Coliseum.
Those musicians that you named sellout football stadiums and nobody expects them to come to a 12.5k venue. However, it wasn't that long ago that Peso Pluma was at the Coliseum. He would have much rather played in front of 12.5k than the amount of people at the Coliseum he played in front of. He's definitely not my type of music but he's a major act. As a matter of fact he was one of the final acts at the Coachella main stage a few weeks ago. I'm guessing that they're going to focus on a lot of those types of acts which makes sense. A big act to you isn't the same as a big act to everyone else. Many people in this town would much rather see Peso Pluma than Justin Timberlake.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT