ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SMU Basketball program gets the hammer brought down on them

surprise_meter.jpg

Reactions: MinersWon
Could have been worse much like, cuse they dodged a bullet. The one year ban hurts because they were a legitimate threat to get to a final four. In the big picture not much effect on SMU. They continue to bring in top talent year after year. They have the best basketball facilities and atmosphere in Texas. SMU hoops is here to stay.

Could have been worse much like, cuse they dodged a bullet. The one year ban hurts because they were a legitimate threat to get to a final four. In the big picture not much effect on SMU. They continue to bring in top talent year after year. They have the best basketball facilities and atmosphere in Texas. SMU hoops is here to stay.

Sarcasm? This is Brown's third cloud. They had an administrative assistant take an online course for a player. I think they just lost nine scholarships.

Last edited:
The scholarship reduction will have a huge impact on recruiting. NCAA hit them hard. Based on this punishment, UNC will get the death penalty. HA!!! Like that will ever happen.

Reactions: develman
I thought they would get a Baylor type penalty. I think they got off easy. The scholarships arent that big a deal in basketball. It only takes one player to elevate your program. The scholarship reductions havent hurt cuse and i dont think they will hurt SMU.

Brown has turned them around since they left CUSA. Now we no how. But to say it will not hurt is not totally true. They did lose nine scholies and post season ban. This WILL hurt, They're SMU, not UNC.

Remember the Henry Hall affair between he and Paul Strelzin? That was over high tops and Don Haskins gave a recruit a ride home from practice which too was a violation. Nothing, nothing, nothing remotely close to SMU. It was the beginning of the end for The Bear. He never really could recover and when Stull was hired at UTEP, there was massive change within the athletic and SID department and UTEP basketball suffered for it.

The difference here is the money SMU has invested into their program. The coach who replaces Brown will be a big name coach. They will pay 3 -4 million a year. Their facilities are second to none. In a pro sports town they have managed to make SMU basketball an event. They dont recruit projects or rejects from other schools. They recruit blue chips that wont change. This aint your fathers SMU basketball. They have made a commitment they are here to stay.

Brown was cited for lack of control. Which means he can be hired to the next program at the highest price. SMU won't be the same - great facilities & all....a pig with lipstick.

The difference here is the money SMU has invested into their program. The coach who replaces Brown will be a big name coach. They will pay 3 -4 million a year. Their facilities are second to none. In a pro sports town they have managed to make SMU basketball an event. They dont recruit projects or rejects from other schools. They recruit blue chips that wont change. This aint your fathers SMU basketball. They have made a commitment they are here to stay.

I don't question the investment, but you're forgetting what the college world of basketball thinks of SMU. I realize the allure of the Preston Hollow, Highland Park neighborhood in Dallas has over the El Paso sports media makes them drool with delight but not the serious recruit that still has UNC on their short list, because they're UNC, which a whole different animal.

Besides, it's not like they're going to win a national championship to bring back to Texas.

Larry Brown is a scum bag...just look at his track record. He turned SMU into a winning program by cheating. Smu has a bad reputation of cheating scandals and this will definitely have a negative impact on their program. I thought smu got off easy on the punishment they received.

Larry Brown is a scum bag...just look at his track record. He turned SMU into a winning program by cheating. Smu has a bad reputation of cheating scandals and this will definitely have a negative impact on their program. I thought smu got off easy on the punishment they received.
Agree with this.

But your not going to convince the Highland Park/SMU Dallas lovers of El Paso or anywhere in Texas, otherwise. People give up their first born to live in that Ken and Barbie land. I literally feel sick to my stomach when I visit there. At UTEP, if Floyd pulled that crud Brown did, he'd be gone. Over there, "scum bag" has a different meaning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT