ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Tubby Smith in a big mess

Memphis is a top 20 college hoops job. I think they really missed on Smith. They could've got a much better coach.

Memphis aint no top 20 coaching job. I could probably think of 30 better jobs.

In terms of coaches pay, facilities, all the high school basketball talent around Memphis, and history, Memphis is easily a top 20 coaching job.

Memphis is a top 20 college hoops job. I think they really missed on Smith. They could've got a much better coach.

I agree that it WAS a top 20 coaching job until about 2-3 years ago. They were constantly top 10 in attendance and always had a top 20 recruiting class. The only thing that posed a hurdle for them was/is conference affiliation....and losing Calipari. Memphis is a program that has been in steady decline, however slow it has been, since Pastner arrived. Under Tubby, due to some poor choices, the program has taken a hard nose dive and it may take a while before the trajectory goes upwards again.

At Memphis. 8 of his players are transferring.
1n57pb.jpg

Reactions: liebestraum
The only thing that posed a hurdle for them was/is conference affiliation....and losing Calipari.
When they made the Final Four, they were still in CUSA... If anything, they've taken a step up in conference affiliation, for basketball at least. A conference with UConn, Memphis, and Cincinnati, historical basketball powers all, should be a very strong foundation for a basketball conference, not to mention recent success from SMU. Houston and Tulsa have had their share of success, too. It's a solid basketball conference and I don't think that's what's holding them back.

Agreed about Calipari.

When they made the Final Four, they were still in CUSA... If anything, they've taken a step up in conference affiliation, for basketball at least. A conference with UConn, Memphis, and Cincinnati, historical basketball powers all, should be a very strong foundation for a basketball conference, not to mention recent success from SMU. Houston and Tulsa have had their share of success, too. It's a solid basketball conference and I don't think that's what's holding them back.

Agreed about Calipari.

I agree with you that the AAC is a step up from CUSA. A couple steps up even. But I think conference affiliation STILL affects them. Which is why I said "was/is". The American only got two in this year, right? Compare that to the P5 conferences and Big East. It's apples to oranges. No comparison. Better, yes. Strong, nah. It's only part of Memphis' downfall, though. In fact it's only a factor because of several other factors that precede it.

If memphis cant steal coach from one of the power conferences then its not a top 20 college job.

Duke
Ketucky
UNC
Arizona
UCLA
Uconn
Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio State
Cuse
Maryland
Indiana
Texas
Baylor
Cinncy
Georgetown
Florida St
Florida
Oregon
Georgia Tech
Gonzaga
Iowa
NC State
Wisconsin

From top of my head. These jobs are better than Memphis.

If memphis cant steal coach from one of the power conferences then its not a top 20 college job.

Duke
Ketucky
UNC
Arizona
UCLA
Uconn
Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio State
Cuse
Maryland
Indiana
Texas
Baylor
Cinncy
Georgetown
Florida St
Florida
Oregon
Georgia Tech
Gonzaga
Iowa
NC State
Wisconsin

From top of my head. These jobs are better than Memphis.

Memphis is a great job. They can pay as well as anyone. Their support is great. They have in the past outdrawn the grizzlies. Very few college teams could outdraw an nba team. Their facilities are top ten. Great local talent.great tradition.

These are the only jobs i think are better.

Kentucky
Louisville
UNC
Duke
Maryland
UCLA
Arizona
Syracuse
UCONN
Kansas

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts