ADVERTISEMENT

OTIS FRAZIER III

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Very strange. Looking at his bio; he averaged 2.6 ppg and 8 minutes/game high game was apparently 10pts . How would these kind of numbers attract a scholarship? Holy cow boys; he's our leading scorer through 3 games and looks fantastic. So glad we've got him.

I'm hoping that Coach Golding has something in common with Coach Haskins in that he can do more with the talent he brings in than most coaches. It has always been difficult to recruit to UTEP in any sport, but a coach like that will give us chicken salad and lemonade instead of the other stuff. Go Miners.

Reactions: miner1liner
Bc we have a coach by the name of Joe GOLDing. He knows how to make use of there talent better than anybody. Terry would have sucked with this group
Except for last year apparently. Finished 4th in the west division of a bad conference and lost to the likes of Bradley, Marshall, UC Riverside, and Southern Utah at home. He’s the next John Wooden!

I recognize that Golding is something special and I'm thrilled to have him, but with Frazier so far away geographically speaking
and with no resume; how could Golding know that he even existed?
He is far and away the biggest all around player on the roster. "Z" is doing amazing and I'm so glad he's done a 180 from last year. I think we all felt that Hardy, Solomon and McKinney would be the keys, but they have not performed up to their there resumes. Once Golding arrives at fixed player rotations I think there will be a marked improvement in the the overall quality.
I'm feeling kinda giddy about the "State of the union".

Reactions: MinersWon
I wouldn't make too much of one good scoring game against a D3 team, but I do have to admit that he has done a lot more than I expected. He must be practicing well too to get the nod over Sibley so far. He's a very athletic.

I can’t remember when I heard it but I have been listening to Teicher during the games and I believe he said that when Otis decided to transfer, he didn’t have any real game footage to send out, so he sent his practice footage instead. When the Golding staff saw his practice footage, they jumped on him.

“….another player to watch at the wing spot could be Otis Frazier III, a 6-foot-6 combo guard/forward that is a sophomore transfer from George Mason. Though he was buried in the depth chart at George Mason, Frazier III could end up being a formidable option at the 3…..
Sibley is doing good," said Golding. "He's making strides in the right direction. We need him to be a leader. We need him to become an everyday guy. He's had an okay summer. We're obviously moving him to the perimeter. It's not different for him, he's done it before but he hasn't done it here. He spent a lot of time for us last year at the 4."

3 Takeaways from the First Week of UTEP Basketball Practice

Reactions: MinerManiac
People have posted all the time on here about guys who barley touch the floor at UTEP and go light it up elsewhere. Anthony Tarke for example. In 3 games he looks like a pretty good player. Hopefully he makes George Mason look like they missed out.

Sibley to me is disappointing he has all the tools to be a great player but doesn’t use them… he’s got a good shot but doesn’t shoot

Sibley to me is disappointing he has all the tools to be a great player but doesn’t use them… he’s got a good shot but doesn’t shoot
I think he will be fine as the season progresses. When he is deliberate and aggressive offensively he has shown since last year that he can be pretty good. It is still early in the year, but he has looked hesitant to shoot like you said. He is a solid defender because of his length. This team is a little too unselfish at times.

Too Early to make any real projections on where a player is. Coaches always give guys a look in game situations early in the year, Golding is no different. A lot of players are getting looks but by mid-season they may have a cut in minutes. Others like Sibley may be taking a backseat until this plays out. He's talented and coach has had a year to evaluate him and I think you will see his PT increase as the season progresses. As for the others hard to judge right now if Frazier et al continues to have big nights in the next 5 games or so we might have something, I need more than domination of Sul Ross and a win over NMSU who appears to be still adjusting their game to give have a opinion.

I think a limiting factor in Sibley's transition to the 3 offensively is his inability to drive to the basket; i.e. beat his man off the dribble. Frazier is a natural 3, who is more explosive off the dribble than Sibley and can attack the basket. That said, after 3 games, Sibley is still averaging more minutes than Frazier, so there shouldn't be an issue of playing time. Once dos Anjos returns, it will be interesting to see how the minutes will be divided.

I think a limiting factor in Sibley's transition to the 3 offensively is his inability to drive to the basket; i.e. beat his man off the dribble. Frazier is a natural 3, who is more explosive off the dribble than Sibley and can attack the basket. That said, after 3 games, Sibley is still averaging more minutes than Frazier, so there shouldn't be an issue of playing time. Once dos Anjos returns, it will be interesting to see how the minutes will be divided.
I also think Sibley struggles with confidence (hesitant to take wide open shots and subsequently air ball).

He's had 9 Texas 6 NMSU then 23 against a D3 school. It's too early to tell how good he'll be yet. He has been a nice surprise though so far. I think Hardy will ultimately be our best offensive player. Givance, Solomon and Sibley have had slow starts and hopefully will pick it up. Defensively though this team has bought in!

I am pleasantly surprised by this team. The glaring weakness is the lack of scoring from our guards.

Compare these game results.
UT 72. UTEP 57

UT93. Zags 74

Zags 88
Kentucky 72

My point is that based on these scores; one could say that we look good enough to compete with the Big Dawgs

Reactions: Rot
Frasier is a junior. He'll be back.
Powel, Dos Anjos, Hardy and Soloman are the only seniors.
Terrell, Horton and Jones have been Freshmen of the Week for CUSA.
I don't think "Freshmen of the Week" awards carry much weight anymore. Sometimes our freshmen just need to show up to get the award because it's slim pickens as most schools don't recruit freshmen anymore

My point is that we have good freshmen who continue to improve.
Unfortunately, with the transfer portal, you can't count on being able to keep guys from getting poached by bigger schools. With the likely removal of the two time D1 transfer rule, a guy like Elijah Jones (or Frazier) could transfer without having to sit out a year. While I don't see a huge market for any of the freshmen, stranger things can happen. Plus, they can just decide to transfer for other reasons like playing time, etc. Again, it is the reason many coaches have gone away from recruiting a bunch of freshmen at this level. Every year is essentially a rebuild, and the upcoming year will be no different for Golding.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, with the transfer portal, you can't count on being able to keep guys from getting poached by bigger schools. With the likely removal of the two time D1 transfer rule, a guy like Elijah Jones (or Frazier) could transfer without having to sit out a year. While I don't see a huge market for any of the freshmen, stranger things can happen. Plus, they can just decide to transfer for other reasons like playing time, etc. Again, it is the reason many coaches have gone away from recruiting a bunch of freshmen at this level. Every year is essentially a rebuild, and the upcoming year will be no different for Golding.
And Golding doesn't have the recruiting chops to keep up either.

And Golding doesn't have the recruiting chops to keep up either.

This next recruiting cycle is the biggest of Golding's tenure at UTEP, barring some miracle run in the CUSA tourney; which is wide open due to mediocrity. I doubt he would consider altering his staff, but that may be needed. We know the status quo is not working.

This next recruiting cycle is the biggest of Golding's tenure at UTEP, barring some miracle run in the CUSA tourney; which is wide open due to mediocrity. I doubt he would consider altering his staff, but that may be needed. We know the status quo is not working.
Golding has proved he's a fiery and motivated guy, but can't recruit here. Teams year and year in and year out at or even below Utep's level out recruit him. I do think he'll get another year unfortunately, but nothing has shown he'll have this team competing for an NCAA bid while he's here. That's what he was brought here for and since it's not working out, I think next year is his last unless he has a miracle season and makes the NCAA next year. This year is already a huge disappointment I'm year 3 and hom bringing back a lot of his players!

Golding has proved he's a fiery and motivated guy, but can't recruit here. Teams year and year in and year out at or even below Utep's level out recruit him. I do think he'll get another year unfortunately, but nothing has shown he'll have this team competing for an NCAA bid while he's here. That's what he was brought here for and since it's not working out, I think next year is his last unless he has a miracle season and makes the NCAA next year. This year is already a huge disappointment I'm year 3 and hom bringing back a lot of his players!
I agree Natty, except for the part of Golding needing to make the NCAA tourney in order to stick around. Senter has already shown that is not a requirement in order to get extended at UTEP.

Going into next year, I would think any competent AD would at least question Golding’s choice of assistants. Like Golding, the trio of Cox, Spriggs, and Boykins haven't gotten it done recruiting either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT