ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele picks UTEP to be one of most improved FB teams in 2016

According to reports, there is supposed to be some badass TE joining the team and can play this season. Any word?

Reactions: ChompChomp24
The challenge for the UTEP fan base is how to define "improved"? Better record? Appearance in a meaningful mid-major bowl (e.g. Armed Forces Bowl)? Appearance in any bowl (e.g. NM Bowl)? Putting a competitive, entertaining product on the field? It's simply fact that UTEP's 2016 schedule may be the softest in the FBS, Miners could well win 6 - 8+ games this year without defeating a team with a winning record. And after four recruiting classes and headed into his fourth season, UTEP better be improved or Stull's gamble on Kugler will may hit about DEFCOM 4 with the fan base. So again, how do you define improvement?

My personal litmus test (read, opinion) for gauging meaningful improvement for UTEP this season includes all of the following:

(1) Start stomping mud holes on teams that should be mud stomped. Don't just win, but look good winning. Playing North Texas, Houston, Baptist, UTSA, etc. close just ain't gettin' it done.

(2) Stop getting curb stomped and embarrassed by teams with equal or superior talent, especially on regional/national TV. Even when outgunned, at least be competitive.

(3) Play well on the road.

Stated differently, improvement to me looks like look good winning and don't look bad losing.

Peeling the onion back even further, how Kugler uses his available talent will also speak volumes about how he and this program has/has not evolved. Plinke is a talent, will he be misused/underused like Tomlinson? Will the offense continue to just simply abuse Aaron Jones or put him in a position to make plays. Will he ever develop a QB? Showers literally fell into Kugler's lap his first two seasons, some will say his talent was wasted - and he certainly was/is talented.

Again, just my opinion. We'll see...

Last edited:
how many times have we heard that the Miners will be improved? when you suck, improvement isn't that difficult. it is the degree of improvement that is important.

I'm not going to fall for the same old preseason hype that never materializes. prove it on the field, boys.

how many times have we heard that the Miners will be improved? when you suck, improvement isn't that difficult. it is the degree of improvement that is important.

I'm not going to fall for the same old preseason hype that never materializes. prove it on the field, boys.

Have to agree with this grizzled old buzzard. Tired of the hype. We need demonstrate improvement on the field.

I'm holding my breathe, I've learned not to believe the hype. On paper though if they can get decent QB play and not be decimated by injuries an 8-4 season should be the minimal expectation with a Bowl Win. The schedule is weak and they have 7 home games, less than 8 will be a disappointment for sure. I honestly am looking for 9-3 and a Bowl win, but I think as Miner fans we'll even take 7-5 if they could muster a Bowl win

I think one of the reasons for the early pom-pom waving is for the first time during Kug's tenure, he's got himself a real OC and I'm hoping a DC that'll be able to coordinate some schemes beyond just man defense. I'm buzzed, but I'm reserved on the positions with questions.

1. OLine. Big but they need to be better. If they can't man block, then I'm hoping for more zone blocking. Anything that'll help them move a DL off the block, I'm for.

2. QB. This is - by far, my biggest question mark. But given where Greenlee is coming from, I'm expecting a lot of upside with him.

3. Defense. Of course I'm going to say from front to back. DLine needs to get more pressure on the QB, LBs need to be better in space and the trauma the DB core experienced should be healed with some better coverage options (maybe like disguising it sometimes!).

Outside of that, I certainly expect more variety in play calling this season. However, if that first game is Jones first through third down, I'm going to fold up and put my Miner's flag back in the closet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT