ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: What Should Senter do About Golding?

What Should Senter do About Golding

• Terrell and Jones prove he can recruit, we lead the nation in steals. Give him more time.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Senter can't fiscally afford to fire him, he gets another chance only because of our budget.

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Golding has failed, we're losing fans, Senter needs to search for a replacement NOW

Votes: 29 59.2%

• Total voters

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
The loudest voices on this board, mine included, believe that Golding has failed as our basketball coach, and needs to be replaced ASAP. Another commonly stated opinion is that we can't afford to fire him now, and, for financial reasons only, he should get another season to prove himself. Somewhat lost in all the shouting, but still there, are the opinions that Golding is doing a good job building the program, and just needs more time. Those who feel this way might be reluctant to speak up, not wanting to be shouted down by others. To get a feel for what posters here actually think, I've created this poll. Responses, of course, will be anonymous, but feel free to reply with your opinion if you desire. For the record, I'm going with choice #3.

For better or worse, Golding will be here for the next 2 years. He will announce a new "plan" to recruit a couple of shooters and another guard next to ensure a .500 season for the next two years. the next two years is going to look just like this year, unless he develops a new offense strategy. less dribbling and more mid-range shoots..
I expect at least 3 players to transfer this year, but hoping the three freshman stay.
As I see it, Golding is going nowhere for the next two years.
But on other hand, since UTEP is really a football school it looks like a Miner Nation rainbow of orange and blue will be shinning bright over the Sun Bowl after each of our victories...
Lets face it, football pays the bills ...
We must stand proud..

Reactions: kickballpro
I've watched and analyzed every game I could view for the last 35 years. This year I decided life is too short to watch really bad basketball. It's not just an inability to shoot. It's bad play backed by bad coaching. I've checked out, and if I've checked out then I know the average El Pasoan doesn't give a shit anymore. I was a big advocate of the Golding hire. I was dead wrong.

I voted #3 and I think Senter should go too as soon as we are out of the conference tournament.

CG is a below average recruiter AND a bad Xs and Os coach at this level. It's not going to change either. He's either too stubborn to change or too scared because he doesnt know anything different. I think that has become abundantly clear.

If he does get a 4th year then Senter's job should be tied to Golding's.

Ok, I'm a minority here. I will give Golding one more year.

Don't get me wrong, this is a full blown catharsis. Bleeding fans, bleeding money, bleeding support, etc, etc....

Last place in a much weaker conference than previous CUSA iterations. Trend of regression through 3 years under Golding. The same issues in year 2 either stayed the same or got worse in year 3. I don't think you can justify keeping Golding outside of not being able to afford the buy out.

Golding is not a good fit for a lower mid major like UTEP where we have high mid major expectations. There's going to be another mass exodus of transfers after this season and does anyone trust Golding to be able to recruit that many players, again?

Golding belongs at a lower mid major in a lower conference like the Southland. You look at his resume and realize he never had a great opportunity to develop into a recruiter. And really didn't develop as a good Xs and Os guy either. He's reliant on lower level of competition and being able to keep a core of players for multiple years. That is just not happening at UTEP.

I like Golding but he is not getting the job done. We also can't afford to fire him so sucks to be us.

Both of them need to go. Sadly, they’ll both still be here when 2024-2025 comes around. 🤡

Here ya go Fili my boy.
Ok, I'm a minority here. I will give Golding one more year.

Don't get me wrong, this is a full blown catharsis. Bleeding fans, bleeding money, bleeding support, etc, etc....
You really are impressed by the bs UTEP sells you. We finished second to last in 2023 and are currently tied for dead last. Give the guy another year cuz we lead the nation in steals!

If you had the choice of firing Senter and keeping Bronzing another year, which would it be? What contract does Senter have? He is the one that really needs to be fired.

Reactions: JCorona
If you had the choice of firing Senter and keeping Bronzing another year, which would it be? What contract does Senter have? He is the one that really needs to be fired.
In August he will have completed 3 of the 5 year extension he received. His salary is 350k. I’m assuming 700k for him to leave before the start of the football season.

Basketball is so much more different than football. With smaller rosters and all the transfers I think Golding has had ample time to build a winner here at UTEP. You hear these rumors that the big money boosters feel like Basketball is the crown jewel of UTEP Athletics and if they truly feel that way then UTEP should really be looking at making a change. We’ve always been notoriously slow at giving the axe to coaches and all it’s done is prolong the misery and it’s cost us every time conference realignment rolls around. Senter and everyone else need to get on the front foot, be proactive and bring in someone who can get the job done. If they fire Senter the only thing I ask is we don’t hear Gillispe, Sadler or Barbee’s names being brought up.

Basketball is so much more different than football. With smaller rosters and all the transfers I think Golding has had ample time to build a winner here at UTEP. You hear these rumors that the big money boosters feel like Basketball is the crown jewel of UTEP Athletics and if they truly feel that way then UTEP should really be looking at making a change. We’ve always been notoriously slow at giving the axe to coaches and all it’s done is prolong the misery and it’s cost us every time conference realignment rolls around. Senter and everyone else need to get on the front foot, be proactive and bring in someone who can get the job done. If they fire Senter the only thing I ask is we don’t hear Gillispe, Sadler or Barbee’s names being brought up.
How about Floyd and have Kappy do the interviewing?

You really are impressed by the bs UTEP sells you. We finished second to last in 2023 and are currently tied for dead last. Give the guy another year cuz we lead the nation in steals!
No Corona, I am not impressed. I’m disappointed with this year.

Reactions: JCorona
No give this guy another (assuming he can keep the freshman) because he has brought us a decent freshman class that can develop in Horton , Terrell and jones (although I think jones is gone).. lee those guys together and get some decent shooters and he could turn it around next year ….. lose those guys and I agree it’s time for change

Reactions: groundrounds
No give this guy another (assuming he can keep the freshman) because he has brought us a decent freshman class that can develop in Horton , Terrell and jones (although I think jones is gone).. lee those guys together and get some decent shooters and he could turn it around next year ….. lose those guys and I agree it’s time for change
Each basketball coach has 13 scholarships to fill. There isn't any coach for whom every recruit pans out, but in order to be successful a coach has to have at a minimum seven players, preferably at least eight, that can contribute at a high level. Golding has had three recruiting classes, yet hasn't been able to bring in the seven or eight guys he really needs. For me, and apparently most here, three freshmen with promise after three recruiting classes just doesn't cut it.

Beyond that, his offensive scheme is atrocious, and the defense that all the announcers laud produces a lot of turnovers, but gives up a ton of layups. Look at the WKU game. We forced 16 turnovers, which is near our average, but gave up 90 points on 57% shooting. Look at LA Tech. Having Hamilton hedge left Batcho open for several layups in the last few minutes, which was the difference in the game. And with Golding he's never not going to have his big man running out 20 feet from the basket to try to disrupt the passing lanes, leaving the basket unprotected.

Another issue is that Golding is the 2nd coach in a row who has baffling substitution patterns. And it goes way beyond the whole Jones issue. I don’t know how many times I see him take out a guy who's being productive to replace him with a guy who practically never produces.

I might be a little envious of those like you who still have faith in this current staff, as you still have hope. I've lost it. And to me it's obvious that I have good reason to.

Each basketball coach has 13 scholarships to fill. There isn't any coach for whom every recruit pans out, but in order to be successful a coach has to have at a minimum seven players, preferably at least eight, that can contribute at a high level. Golding has had three recruiting classes, yet hasn't been able to bring in the seven or eight guys he really needs. For me, and apparently most here, three freshmen with promise after three recruiting classes just doesn't cut it.

Beyond that, his offensive scheme is atrocious, and the defense that all the announcers laud produces a lot of turnovers, but gives up a ton of layups. Look at the WKU game. We forced 16 turnovers, which is near our average, but gave up 90 points on 57% shooting. Look at LA Tech. Having Hamilton hedge left Batcho open for several layups in the last few minutes, which was the difference in the game. And with Golding he's never not going to have his big man running out 20 feet from the basket to try to disrupt the passing lanes, leaving the basket unprotected.

Another issue is that Golding is the 2nd coach in a row who has baffling substitution patterns. And it goes way beyond the whole Jones issue. I don’t know how many times I see him take out a guy who's being productive to replace him with a guy who practically never produces.

I might be a little envious of those like you who still have faith in this current staff, as you still have hope. I've lost it. And to me it's obvious that I have good reason to.
Yeah I agree I don’t like the substitution patterns at times … and maybe I am being too nice but to me next year is my make or break year for him…. It will be his fourth year which to me is his third year — I never count the year they are hired because it’s usually extremely difficult to recruit any talent at that point…. I really wish he would use Hamilton more and adjust the defense so Hamilton wouldn’t be such a liability

Yeah I agree I don’t like the substitution patterns at times … and maybe I am being too nice but to me next year is my make or break year for him…. It will be his fourth year which to me is his third year — I never count the year they are hired because it’s usually extremely difficult to recruit any talent at that point…. I really wish he would use Hamilton more and adjust the defense so Hamilton wouldn’t be such a liability
You’re ok with the team regressing from year 1 (2) to year 2 (3)? Mind you that the league also regressed. Last season we played 8 conference games vs q1/q2 teams. This season we’ve only played 1! Our net was 182 last year and now we’re at 227. I don’t know but it kind of looks like the opposite of progress.

You’re ok with the team regressing from year 1 (2) to year 2 (3)? Mind you that the league also regressed. Last season we played 8 conference games vs q1/q2 teams. This season we’ve only played 1! Our net was 182 last year and now we’re at 227. I don’t know but it kind of looks like the opposite of progress.
This ****ing comment all day!
Swipe Up GIF
The writing is on the wall, all we need is the Mr. Magoos at the AD to put on their reading spectacles.

Tell you one thing, Coach Golding has made me appreciate my wife again, The Hallmark Movies I watch with her are scintillating. Thanks, Joe. o_O
Bingo. LOL!

Cary Grant (and James Stewart) was an amazing actor and the mold for DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, and especially Clooney who basically rips off Grant's style.

So after reading this, how does UTEP get the next McCasland (when he was at UNT, Ark St) but can recruit like a Barbee/Billy/Terry? McCasland can flat out coach like Billy can but Barbee, Terry and Billy were excellent recruiters, IMO. Barbee can find that "diamond in the rough" literally in the backyard of really good D1 schools. He did in Memphis (Culpepper) and plucked Julyan Stone who was literally surrounded by all the WCC SoCal and PAC 12 schools. Billy can get great JUCO's and international players. McCasland was a thorn in the side of all CUSA coaches. Barbee elevated his players. Terry can get uber athletes but his coaching was frustrating, just like Golding's.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT