ADVERTISEMENT

Promotion-relegation

There’s no way in hell this happens. There is zero incentive for any of the big schools would ever accept a relegation system. They’re making shitloads of money. This Boise AD is just chatting nonsense to get his school in the door.

It does beg the question, though, as to why the rest of the world uses promotion/relegation but the USA does not, not even for soccer. If promotion/relegation were ever to be introduced here, I would expect it to start with soccer.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
It does beg the question, though, as to why the rest of the world uses promotion/relegation but the USA does not, not even for soccer. If promotion/relegation were ever to be introduced here, I would expect it to start with soccer.
It’s simple. Pro/rel was established 100 years ago when soccer wasn’t a big business. That is just the way it’s been. Teams weren’t worth anything. Soccer didn’t become a business overnight.

The US has no pro/rel. All the top leagues are “closed” and new teams only come around when there’s a new media market to be had.

Let’s use the El Paso Locomotive as an example. Their owners paid a low 7 figures for the team. I don’t even know if that is correct, but it is around there. The new San Diego MLS team reportedly paid $500M for their team. How fair would it be for SD to be relegated because they had 1 bad season and EP had 1 good one?

If you’re the owner of EP, that’s awesome, but for the owners of SD, they paid $500M and would be playing in the 2nd division. That’s why it won’t happen here.

If you want pro/rel, you have to blow it up and start from scratch. Make it part of the rules. Can’t just start it up after the fact.

It’s simple. Pro/rel was established 100 years ago when soccer wasn’t a big business. That is just the way it’s been. Teams weren’t worth anything. Soccer didn’t become a business overnight.

The US has no pro/rel. All the top leagues are “closed” and new teams only come around when there’s a new media market to be had.

Let’s use the El Paso Locomotive as an example. Their owners paid a low 7 figures for the team. I don’t even know if that is correct, but it is around there. The new San Diego MLS team reportedly paid $500M for their team. How fair would it be for SD to be relegated because they had 1 bad season and EP had 1 good one?

If you’re the owner of EP, that’s awesome, but for the owners of SD, they paid $500M and would be playing in the 2nd division. That’s why it won’t happen here.

If you want pro/rel, you have to blow it up and start from scratch. Make it part of the rules. Can’t just start it up after the fact.
People look st promotion/relegation like it’s a great thing but clubs have gone bankrupt fighting for promotion, or because they got relegated. Because the money isn’t guaranteed like American sports a lot of clubs have been destroyed because they can’t keep up with the Joneses. These College athletic programs run up unreal debt and they’re in major conferences. Imagine if Cal gets relegated? This Boise AD is an idiot.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
People look st promotion/relegation like it’s a great thing but clubs have gone bankrupt fighting for promotion, or because they got relegated. Because the money isn’t guaranteed like American sports a lot of clubs have been destroyed because they can’t keep up with the Joneses. These College athletic programs run up unreal debt and they’re in major conferences. Imagine if Cal gets relegated? This Boise AD is an idiot.
People claim it’s adds interest and that it makes every game more meaningful. I believe it really doesn’t.

Pro/rel people are always punching up. It’s someone from USL or NISA, you won’t ever hear an owner from the Colorado Rapids wanting it.

You’re right, a school like Cal would never agree to it. Just like if Manchester United had their way, they would abolish pro/rel too.

What owner is going to spend billions or millions to go to the minor leagues
What sec team would accept going to the Sun belt or worse yet CUSA
None. That’s why it won’t happen in the US. Rich people don’t want to be on the same level as average or poor people.

Fans don’t want it either. UTEP has in a sense been relegated. You don’t see anyone on here claiming they’re glad to be seeing Sam Houston St instead of SMU or Colorado St now.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
People claim it’s adds interest and that it makes every game more meaningful. I believe it really doesn’t.

Pro/rel people are always punching up. It’s someone from USL or NISA, you won’t ever hear an owner from the Colorado Rapids wanting it.

You’re right, a school like Cal would never agree to it. Just like if Manchester United had their way, they would abolish pro/rel too.
I watch the EPL and it it does give fans of losing teams a reason to keep supporting their teams as the season wears on. Teams at the bottom of the table risking relegation, their fans are out there in force trying to push the team to get any points they can to stay afloat. I’ve seen fans rush the field because they beat the drop on the last day whereas you look at most American sports, even UTEP once the season turns south fans stop caring because there’s nothing to play for. Even if you don’t win the league you’re hopefully challenging for European qualification or to stay afloat. So there’s always something to play for.

And I agree with what you’re saying in terms of the people who want promotion relegation are always the people on the outside looking in. A lot of these MLS clubs are investing major money in facilities and what not, so there’s no way in hell they’re going to risk losing all of that to benefit teams from the outside. And don’t forget TV rights. What would happen if MLS lost a major market because the team(s) got relegated?

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I watch the EPL and it it does give fans of losing teams a reason to keep supporting their teams as the season wears on. Teams at the bottom of the table risking relegation, their fans are out there in force trying to push the team to get any points they can to stay afloat. I’ve seen fans rush the field because they beat the drop on the last day whereas you look at most American sports, even UTEP once the season turns south fans stop caring because there’s nothing to play for. Even if you don’t win the league you’re hopefully challenging for European qualification or to stay afloat. So there’s always something to play for.

And I agree with what you’re saying in terms of the people who want promotion relegation are always the people on the outside looking in. A lot of these MLS clubs are investing major money in facilities and what not, so there’s no way in hell they’re going to risk losing all of that to benefit teams from the outside. And don’t forget TV rights. What would happen if MLS lost a major market because the team(s) got relegated?
Right. Even though Apple has MLS rights, it is to everyone’s benefit that NY and LA teams are in the league. Imagine being a Red Bulls fan and you’re relegated to playing Hartford and Tampa Bay, Red Bull Arena would be even emptier than it is now.

On the other hand, it doesn’t really matter which teams are 18,19, and 20 in EPL. They’re interchangeable and people will watch their games regardless. Just as if the NFL kicked out the Arizona Cardinals and replaced them with some XFL team. People would still watch every week.

I agree that relegation “battles” can be intriguing and fans still attend the games. Don’t you think that’s because they might not see Liverpool for a couple of years, and will be seeing QPR and Sunderland instead? Once you’re relegated, those games are just as worthless as a late season Miner game.

Right. Even though Apple has MLS rights, it is to everyone’s benefit that NY and LA teams are in the league. Imagine being a Red Bulls fan and you’re relegated to playing Hartford and Tampa Bay, Red Bull Arena would be even emptier than it is now.

On the other hand, it doesn’t really matter which teams are 18,19, and 20 in EPL. They’re interchangeable and people will watch their games regardless. Just as if the NFL kicked out the Arizona Cardinals and replaced them with some XFL team. People would still watch every week.

I agree that relegation “battles” can be intriguing and fans still attend the games. Don’t you think that’s because they might not see Liverpool for a couple of years, and will be seeing QPR and Sunderland instead? Once you’re relegated, those games are just as worthless as a late season Miner game.
Well it depends on the team. If you’ve got a team like Norwich or Lutton Town this year, they come up just to go back down, I can see where the fanbase knows the reality of the situation so like you said they’re probably enjoying the ride. There’s always 1 team that for sure is going down.

If you look at last year’s EPL table it was only 6 points separating Leicester who got relegated in 18th place and 14th place West Ham. They probably weren’t in serious relegation danger but that’s a difference of just 2 wins on the season. And you’ll see teams spend big trying to stay up on players and coaches in the winter transfer window.

If even if it were in place, rich teams can skirt the issue like in Liga MX, when it had promotion and relegation. The relegated team just buys the promoted team's spot and its business like usual.

How long you give it until we’re relegated to FCS? 10 years or less. How much time after that would we find ourselves relagated to D2 or JC. Yeah we suck and we’re always fighting to stay out of last place but f that. It doesn’t make it more exciting if we’re fighting to stay in CUSA instead of the south land.

Run this by bowl committees? You may want to close the doors.

deliveryService

The next person who suggests promotion/relegation for American sports is getting shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT