ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Aaron Jones and other ex players...

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
That went pro???

I know they dont owe UTEP anything. I'm talking about the players that got big contracts. Like Aaron Jones, Roy Robertson Harris and even in the old days like Antonio Davis and Tim Hardaway.

Do you think these athletes should feel obligated to donate to Utep?? If yes?? How much??

Do we know of any former players that have given back??

That went pro???

I know they dont owe UTEP anything. I'm talking about the players that got big contracts. Like Aaron Jones, Roy Robertson Harris and even in the old days like Antonio Davis and Tim Hardaway.

Do you think these athletes should feel obligated to donate to Utep?? If yes?? How much??

When you hear on ESPN or any college sports story of past players looking back on their college life and notice it goes back to one person, their coach and the character of the coach. The wins don't have to necessarily be there, but character does.

For example, Coach David Lee. He didn't win a lot of games and his game plan was anemic at times. However, his players respected him and thought well of him. He was a disciplinarian who ran good practices and put up with no bs I have heard and read from players and read in stories from years back. Exact same thing goes for Kugler. His players loved him.

My point is, coaches like that leaves an indelible mark on the player who feels more tied to the community/university and hence, gives back.

That went pro???

Obligation (and tax consequences) are the bottom two reasons why a person is motivated philanthropically. Believe it or not, there's peer reviewed research to back this up.

That went pro???

AJ is a little young to start giving away his money.

When you hear on ESPN or any college sports story of past players looking back on their college life and notice it goes back to one person, their coach and the character of the coach. The wins don't have to necessarily be there, but character does.

For example, Coach David Lee. He didn't win a lot of games and his game plan was anemic at times. However, his players respected him and thought well of him. He was a disciplinarian who ran good practices and put up with no bs I have heard and read from players and read in stories from years back. Exact same thing goes for Kugler. His players loved him.

My point is, coaches like that leaves an indelible mark on the player who feels more tied to the community/university and hence, gives back.

I dont think you answered my question. Are you saying former players owe their coaches??

Obligation (and tax consequences) are the bottom two reasons why a person is motivated philanthropically. Believe it or not, there's peer reviewed research to back this up.
another head scratcher....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think former great players can help more with their continuing public support of the program (recruiting).

Well, no one tells me how to spend my money so it's not on me to think anyone should feel any obligation to give.

If they do, great.. if not then oh well

I think Brian Young used to hold a football camp at UTEP. The thing is that UTEP has to reach out to the players and make things happen. There are several ways to start prodding the fires of interest, for example, setting up a fundraising golf tournament with former players to return and be a part of every four-person team. Make the entry fees a little pricier and get local businesses to sponsor holes. The revenue won't be as big as a big donor BUT it will generate excitement and get the name going again.

As far as players returning, I would love to see Jordan Palmer return to UTEP and coach our quarterbacks!

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I think Brian Young used to hold a football camp at UTEP. The thing is that UTEP has to reach out to the players and make things happen. There are several ways to start prodding the fires of interest, for example, setting up a fundraising golf tournament with former players to return and be a part of every four-person team. Make the entry fees a little pricier and get local businesses to sponsor holes. The revenue won't be as big as a big donor BUT it will generate excitement and get the name going again.

As far as players returning, I would love to see Jordan Palmer return to UTEP and coach our quarterbacks!
Or at least hold a week camp for them, if allowed by the NCAA. Probably isn’t and we would get the death penalty just for thinking about it..

Reactions: PicksForPaydirt
That went pro???

You answered your own question. Shut the thread down.

You answered your own question. Shut the thread down.

All right i guess UTEP can just make its money from charging high ticket prices. While other schools get big dontaions from ex players. Durant didnt owe Texas anything but he still gave back. What is UTEP doing wrong with its ex players?? Why dont ex players come back??

Last edited:
Well, no one tells me how to spend my money so it's not on me to think anyone should feel any obligation to give.

If they do, great.. if not then oh well

Thats why UTEP not moving up, they dont go ask their former players for help. Senter needs to go out there and ask former players for some donations. Isnt that what his job is??

AJ just got his 1st big contract. Give him some time.
Draymond Green donated when he got his first big contract.

But only reason i bring up AJ because he is current. There have have been plenty of Utep players in NFL and NBA. People here are always complaining about Senter. Why isnt he out there getting big donations? A Aaron Jones Indoor Practice Facility sounds nice. Like the one Kevin Durant got at Texas.

Draymond Green donated when he got his first big contract.

But only reason i bring up AJ because he is current. There have have been plenty of Utep players in NFL and NBA. People here are always complaining about Senter. Why isnt he out there getting big donations? A Aaron Jones Indoor Practice Facility sounds nice. Like the one Kevin Durant got at Texas.
Maybe it's coming. Donating is a personal matter and often private. It's not to be forced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
I’ve read stuff where former players feel UTEP pretty much forgets about them once they leave. For instance, sending them care packages while at training camp. Apparently other schools do this to their former players. Small things make a big difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT