ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking current QB's on the roster

LTMiner61

All Star
Gold Member
Apr 15, 2004
Since I live 1,300 miles away from El Paso, I don't have a chance to catch practices/games, but for those of you that are there, I'd like to hear what you think of the current QB's on the roster as we go through fall practices. Besides GH, I've not seen anyone else who's currently on the team while at UTEP. I have seen Jake McNamara play here in TN a number of times and he was mighty impressive on and off the field. For an undersized QB I love his character, football intelligence, quickness and strength.

GO MINERS!

Reactions: utep2step
Brownholtz got some snaps as a running QB, giving our offense another package for opponents to worry about. I wonder if there's another QB on the roster who could fill that role with Brownholtz gone.

Reactions: LTMiner61

I was unaware of the fact that UTEP doesn’t have a full-time QB coach on the staff to coach and mentor the most important position on the football field!! What a joke! Article states that Dimel, in addition to his head coaching and offensive play calling responsibilities is also the QB coach.

No wonder hardison has shown little to no improvement as a QB since arriving at UTEP as he continues to struggle with his decision making, footwork and accuracy. Dimel is his coach! That would seem to explain his shortcomings as a QB.

With the departure of Warner, why not hire a full time QB coach, or at the very least get Jordan Palmer here to coach the kid for a few weeks every summer?

I wonder how many other programs haven’t invested in a QB coach. I bet not many.

Last edited:

I was unaware of the fact that UTEP doesn’t have a full-time QB coach on the staff to coach and mentor the most important position on the football field!! What a joke! Article states that Dimel, in addition to his head coaching and offensive play calling responsibilities is also the QB coach.

No wonder hardison has shown little to no improvement as a QB since arriving at UTEP as he continues to struggle with his decision making, footwork and accuracy. Dimel is his coach! That would seem to explain his shortcomings as a QB.

With the departure of Warner, why not hire a full time QB coach, or at the very least get Jordan Palmer here to coach the kid for a few weeks every summer?

I wonder how many other programs haven’t invested in a QB coach. I bet not many.
It's not uncommon for the OC to be the QBs coach. Dimel appears to be such a control freak that he wants to call plays instead of the OC and apparently he also acts as the QB coach. I'm not exactly sure what UTEP's OC actually does.

No need to worry, our head coach is an elite offensive mind

Gavin has had a QB coach every year except this year. Also, Dimel is the sole play caller this year for the first time. They don't have the money to bring in the guys he was looking at. Hopefully next year they'll have the money to bring in who he wants and he can go back to his preferred role.

Mike Price was a good QB coach. He did well with Jordan Palmer and Trevor Vittatoe. One of his sons saw Trevor as a High School senior and saw his potential. But I haven't seen that Dimel or any of his offensive coaches has anything special to offer a young QB coming up. That's why we're still waiting for Gavin to have that breakout season even with his being a redshirt senior and having the best arm in the conference.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT