ADVERTISEMENT

Report: UTEP on the precipice of joining the Mountain West

Time for the Administration and the community to step up their support of UTEP athletics.
Based on the figures linked below (not the latest), UTEP would be at the bottom in terms of athletics budgets in the MWC. This is the area where Wilson needs to make a commitment, and hopefully that was part of the negotiations. The new NIL legislation, in which the schools pay the athletes directly, has to be taken into account as well.

Based on the figures linked below (not the latest), UTEP would be at the bottom in terms of athletics budgets in the MWC. This is the area where Wilson needs to make a commitment, and hopefully that was part of the negotiations. The new NIL legislation, in which the schools, pay the athletes has to be taken into account as well.

I'm not that smart, but won't the additional revenue from a better conference also help the budget?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Don’t get me wrong I’m happy with this move. But I can’t shake the feeling that it paves the way for Texas State to join the PAC. Where else are they going to find teams?
UConn for football only or the AAC. Seems strange to me that Texas St would be the travel partner of Colorado St or SDSU.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Time for the Administration and the community to step up their support of UTEP athletics.
The community steps up when they can that’s a non issue for me, it’s not the responsibility of the community but the responsibility of the administration to step up and support the coaches and athletes with money.

Everyone is popping champagne over this, but yet no one in the media will press Senter about committing resources and money. to becoming legit in football which is the only way success will happen in a new conference. Basketball is in a good place and Golding is primed to do well this year, but football is close to 1990’s UTEP football production and desperately needs cash pumped in so we don’t hire the Dimel’s and Walden’s of the CFB world and if we do make terrible hires like these at least we have cash to hire legit assistants instead of bringing along FCS level assistants. UTEP is way behind most in MWC in terms of football and will be swimming upstream if Senter doesn’t do his job better.

The community steps up when they can that’s a non issue for me, it’s not the responsibility of the community but the responsibility of the administration to step up and support the coaches and athletes with money.
Where else does the admin get money other than from the community which plays a part. Can't all be relying on major doners/boosters like a broke kid asking for a handout.

Support ($$ to buy tickets even if the product sucks) goes both ways. It's an investment. It seems like a poor investment to most, but you want something nice? Put the time and money into it.

Regular alumni don't care, no one wants to buy tickets because "the product is poor". If this isn't an advertisement for "you get what you pay for" as in having a Dimel or Walden, idk what is

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Where else does the admin get money other than from the community which plays a part. Can't all be relying on major doners/boosters like a broke kid asking for a handout.

Support ($$ to buy tickets even if the product sucks) goes both ways. It's an investment. It seems like a poor investment to most, but you want something nice? Put the time and money into it.

Regular alumni don't care, no one wants to buy tickets because "the product is poor". If this isn't an advertisement for "you get what you pay for" as in having a Dimel or Walden, idk what is
I agree to a point and really feel the community supports, 40k to watch FCS vs FCS?? The community is not the problem, it’s UTEP’s job to put a product worth investing in. (We’re talking football)

It’s the fact that UTEP has put such a poor product that Senter has messed this up by not adding more major donors or boosters or corporate sponsorship and has had two major chances to entice fans to come but his coaches suck and get whipped in front of big crowds so yes they need to keep asking for handouts because honestly Senter doesn’t deserve any support from the fans with the products he puts on the football field and completely ignored the fans and hired who he wanted to hire instead of the guy fans wanted.

You’re asking a community with a median income of $44,431 to support an inferior product priced super high in both basketball and football, the average EP UTEP fan will pick going out to eat or go get drunk at a family members crib before picking to go to the SB to watch mighty Sam Houston State or Kennesaw State. All end zone tickets could be 10 bones. We are not Austin, Houston, Dallas when it comes to income and alumni base here in EP. El Paso is not a legit sports town anymore like it was in the early 2000’s, it’s a family event and chill at the crib or bar to watch sports town. UTEP has to earn that back in my opinion.

I think the fans do their part, this admin and previous admins haven’t done shit and that is a big concern I have going forward.

El Paso is not a legit sports town anymore like it was in the early 2000’s

That's not true at all. The Locomotive were 8/24 in attendance in 2023. They drew 112,038 (6,517 for 17 games). The Chihuahuas were 2/10 in attendance in 2023. They drew 507,907 (6,772 for 75 games).

UTEP football and basketball attendance isn't bad, compared to a lot of other schools.

That's not true at all. The Locomotive were 8/24 in attendance in 2023. They drew 112,038 (6,517 for 17 games). The Chihuahuas were 2/10 in attendance in 2023. They drew 507,907 (6,772 for 75 games).

UTEP football and basketball attendance isn't bad, compared to a lot of other schools.
Too many facts. You’re going to confuse the negativity

• Haha
Reactions: utep1966
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT