ADVERTISEMENT

Some D-line and linebackers returning. I'm assuming we run a 4-3 defense?

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
Does anybody know if Richardson is still around? I beleive he was considered our best interior lineman prior to becoming academically ineligible for 2017.

DL:
Richardson?
Chuwukelu
Mascorro
Sota
Buckinghams
Elsner
Sullivan
C. Johnson

LB:
Van Hook
J. Smith
Hughes
Griffin
Parsee
Forrester

McKee and C. Johnson both played ILB in high school too.

I think there are a few guys there that can play well and few younger ones we haven't seen like Tupou and Herring at LB. Our depth is poor. I'm hoping for at least 2 DL and 2 LB in this year's class or some suprises from the young guys.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
The DE transfer saw very limited action at KSU so he comes in with a big question mark. He has NFL size but lacks minutes. As far as the LB are you taking about the LB from a South Carolina CC? He originally went to Western Carolina and then juco. Good size and provides depth but he is no Alvin Jones.

IMO, Kugler brought in solid talent. His coaching at FBS level left him on an island and to a 0-12 record. I would not be surprised at all if Dimel has success with this crop of Kugler recruits. and/or if Dimel led UTEP to second place in CUSA West. That's how highly I think of Kug's recruits. It's like Price's over-achievement with Nord players when he arrived because Nord was a helluva recruiter who could gems in a pile of rocks.

IMO, Kugler brought in solid talent. His coaching at FBS level left him on an island and to a 0-12 record. I would not be surprised at all if Dimel has success with this crop of Kugler recruits. and/or if Dimel led UTEP to second place in CUSA West. That's how highly I think of Kug's recruits. It's like Price's over-achievement with Nord players when he arrived because Nord was a helluva recruiter who could gems in a pile of rocks.
Except that Price couldn't win this year, not a single game, with Kugler's players. If Price could do so much with Nord's players (and Nord DID focus on developing talent with his 5-year plan), how come Price whiffed so badly with Kugler's supposedly solid talent?

Kugler has developed a handful of very solid NFL-caliber players, and he deserves credit for that, but it doesn't seem like he developed anybody else. But maybe that's because most of his recruits had such a low ceiling.

The DE transfer saw very limited action at KSU so he comes in with a big question mark. He has NFL size but lacks minutes. As far as the LB are you taking about the LB from a South Carolina CC? He originally went to Western Carolina and then juco. Good size and provides depth but he is no Alvin Jones.

I hope you're right about the talent Kugler brought in but his record sure doesn't support it. Kugler did his best to convince anyone that would listen that recruit rankings didn't matter and while I don't think they mean everything, after 5 years of being last in C-USA and the nation in recruiting, the results of that showed up on the field. I do think a better coaching staff can win some games with the current team by adding some solid skill players and using schemes that have a shot at succeeding. Looking forward to finding out this fall.

Reactions: El Paso 777
I'm biased towards UTEP's roster. Good kids. Good hearts.

Kug is gone and probably already has a home in Cherry Creek in Denver, so no sense hashing that history.

From our current roster, there are 2 players who we really haven't seen yet, that I am really interested in watching. I think Busey might be the best WR on our current roster and Josh Dunn was a legit 3 star recruit, with matching high end offers(Wisconsin, Virginia, Etc.), coming out of high school.

I am also interested in seeing if the new staff is able to effectively use Walter Dawn. I think he can be a playmaker if used properly/differently than he was this past year.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT