ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Kugler Radio Show thoughts.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Kugler had his first radio show last night. For anyone who missed it, @F5_UTEP_MINERS posted it today in 4 segments. The first segment is at the bottom of this post. Here are a few things that stuck out:

- Teicher said that this will be UTEP's 100th year of football. I would have thought that we would have heard more about that?

- Kugler was happy that our Program is now playing at a full scholarship count. He said that we had 63 scholarship players his first year, 72 his second year, 80 his third year, and now the maximum 85 scholarship players in years four and five.

- Kugler talked about how the roster is now full of guys that he recruited and knows.

- Out of the 44 players on our 2 deep depth chart, 25 are new players did not play for us last year. Thus we have 25 new players who either Freshmen(Sullivan, Mascorro), haved worked their way up the depth chart(I.E. Parsee, Dawn, Dove), sat out last year(I.E. Lewis, Elsner), are Grad Transfers(Tuley-Tillman, Jackson), or JC Transfers(Smith, Lucero, Busey).

- Kugler, Mason, and Teicher each said that we are noticeably bigger and faster on defense.

- Mason called Luke Elsner our best d-lineman and the "surprise of camp". They thought his career was over due to injury and he essentially hasn't played in two years. I actually saw him walking in the stands at the Spring Game just 5 months ago, now he is back and healthy.

- Kugler and Mason both talked about how gopd True Freshman Mascorro is. Mason thinks that he might start at Nose Guard by mid-season.

- Mason seemed really happy that Lewis is back after redshirting last year due to academics.

- Mason said that Van Hook has the potential to be a "high round draft pick" by the time he leaves UTEP.

- Mason said that the Transfer Jackson has been impressive and is getting better every practice. He also mentioned the scheme changes at Wake Forest that led him to transfer.

- They talked about how two of last year's starters on the d-line(Sota and Logan) have been passed "by no fault of their own" by "faster and more athletic" players and they are both now running third team.

- Mason said that Sullivan could be an NFL player in 3 to 4 years.

- Mason said that Parsee will really be something before he is done at UTEP.

- Both Coaches love Jamar Smith and Mason said he might be the best "overall football player" on the team.

- They said that Needham makes a play every day. Kugler said that he has had one of the best camps and could be an All-Conference Corner.

Thanks for the review of the show, and your insight in general UTEPDefense. I think Kugler also mentioned that Wadley could be back by conference play, which in my opinion, would be big. I don't see either Dove or Dawn as great options at starting running back. I think Wadley is a more complete player, but he also needs to really improve his ball security. If the line play on both sides of ball is truly a strength this year, that will go a long way towards an improvement this season.

- Out of the 44 players on our 2 deep depth chart, 25 are new players did not play for us last year. Thus we have 25 new players who either Freshmen(Sullivan, Mascorro), haved worked their way up the depth chart(I.E. Parsee, Dawn, Dove), sat out last year(I.E. Lewis, Elsner), are Grad Transfers(Tuley-Tillman,Jackson), or JC Transfers(Smith, Lucero, Busey).

If over 50% of our two deep chart is replaced by new players, what assumptions can you make about the players they have replaced, recruiting and player development? I'm not drinking the orange cool aid any longer.
FIRE STULL!!

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Thanks for the review of the show, and your insight in general UTEPDefense. I think Kugler also mentioned that Wadley could be back by conference play, which in my opinion, would be big. I don't see either Dove or Dawn as great options at starting running back. I think Wadley is a more complete player, but he also needs to really improve his ball security. If the line play on both sides of ball is truly a strength this year, that will go a long way towards an improvement this season.
Would be great I like Wadley. Does that mean by week 2 or like the middle of the season?

Bloomquist reported last week that his shoulder won't be cleared for contact until early October.

Now he will us the 25 as a reason if we lose. And I don't like the fact that our best DL was not playing for 2 years and in the stands at the spring game. I hope we can develop a passing game to help out our running game.

- Kugler was happy that our Program is now playing at a full scholarship count. He said that we had 63 scholarship players his first year, 72 his second year, 80 his third year, and now the maximum 85 scholarship players in years four and five.
Wow, I wasn't aware of that! If that's true, UTEP really has been operating under a handicap and that's quite a hurdle to overcome.

The FCS scholarship limit is 63 players. So when Kugler took over, that would mean that he essentially took over the equivalent of an FCS program and had to build it into an FBS program. Think about that. I'll cut him a bit more slack if that's really true.

Reactions: MinerJo
So in all these years, he wasn't able to fill the scholarships until now? Oh and 1/3 are local kids....

Depends how you look at it and through which pair of glasses. Right North Dakota State?!

Is he just stating a fact? Yes. But I'm not buying it as a supplemental that rides the coat tails for the reason of last year's total letdown. This is like politician speak..."Yeah! Well POTUS So n So did it so we're doing the opposite".

You can put walkons on ships. That's how KU got caught up from Weis dumb ass. There are ways of getting them up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT