ADVERTISEMENT

Something Miner fans haven't heard or read in a while...

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
"Imagine professional wrestling on a 94-foot-long, 50-foot-wide wooden court.

That's what Marshall's 91-68 loss to UTEP before 6,781 disgruntled fans in an often raucous Henderson Center resembled Saturday night.

Nobody got hit with a steel chair..and no one was suplexed through a wooden table.

But otherwise?

It looked like a game played in the "squared circle."

It was physical, physical and more physical. That didn't bode well for an under-sized, height-challenged Herd trying to deal with the tag-team of 7-foot-1 Matt Willms and 6-11 Kelvin Jones.

"It was real physical," said Marshall's Austin Loop, who had two of MU's paltry total of only three 3-point field goals. "Their bigs were tough.

"We're a little undersized. When guys like that are playing physical, it's tough for us." [herald-dispatch.com]

http://www.minerrush.com/2017/1/29/...gs-we-learned-from-the-wku-marshall-road-trip

Reactions: Uteper
Been wanting to see them on the court at the same time more. I get that being undermanned means more foul trouble. Glad to see both have improved in health and play lately.

I know we want to speculate whether or not he will be here next year, but my gut feeling is that Floyd returns. If they wanted to fire him I feel like they would have done it already, especially since he is still bringing in recruits. I think the Floyd experiment has run it's course but there was a lot of pressure on Stull to can Floyd one month ago and he weathered that out. I have a feeling that UTEP will play tough down the stretch and they will take a CBI Invite and a home game to not only smooth it over with the fans but to say that Floyd turned the season around and lead the team to a post season tourney.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I know we want to speculate whether or not he will be here next year, but my gut feeling is that Floyd returns. If they wanted to fire him I feel like they would have done it already, especially since he is still bringing in recruits. I think the Floyd experiment has run it's course but there was a lot of pressure on Stull to can Floyd one month ago and he weathered that out. I have a feeling that UTEP will play tough down the stretch and they will take a CBI Invite and a home game to not only smooth it over with the fans but to say that Floyd turned the season around and lead the team to a post season tourney.
I agree with everything except the post season invitation. Even the CBI has standards. In their nine year history the worst team record wise to play in the tournament is a couple of 15-17 teams.

As good as we have been in winning four out of the last five I don't see anyway UTEP finishes better than 12-20. Would the CBI accept us? Would Floyd's pride let him play in a post season tournament with such a record?

I think we can not only extrapolate the last 4 games to predict the rest of this season, we can extrapolate to predict the next couple of seasons. So to that end, not only can we play a post season tournament this season but probably make the dance next year and possibly win it the year after. So yes, keep Floyd. We don't want to miss out on all that success.

I think we can not only extrapolate the last 4 games to predict the rest of this season, we can extrapolate to predict the next couple of seasons. So to that end, not only can we play a post season tournament this season but probably make the dance next year and possibly win it the year after. So yes, keep Floyd. We don't want to miss out on all that success.
What? Surely you're not serious?

Utep sneaks into Big Dance at 13-20 after winning C-USA Tourney and then beats Gonzaga, to become first #16 seed to beat a #1 seed! I've been drinking, Obviously!

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT