ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB.

What a kick in the nuts to end the week. No shade at Skyler, but Cade is clearly the better passer and the best option.

Terrible call by Walden.

Neither guy stood out when I watched the spring game, but I’m excited to see what Locklear can bring to the table. If you need a running QB to unlock this offense then I respect the decision. Good or bad McConnell was in the mix up until the end and if something happens to Locklear we have a guy who can step in and compete.

Is Cade really the better passer? Do we know enough of Locklear to determine that?
What we do know is Skyler was a back-up QB for an fcs school, and has a grand total of 59 yards. He’s under 6 feet tall. He’s going to have a hard time seeing over that line.

What Cade did at the end of the year can’t be discounted. The hand at play here was start Cade and bring Skyler in to run.

Reactions: utep-piggy
What a kick in the nuts to end the week. No shade at Skyler, but Cade is clearly the better passer and the best option.

Terrible call by Walden.
How do you know it’s a terrible call? Have you been at the practices, are you familiar with how much Locklear has a grasp of the offense, have they played a game yet? Just wondering how you know it’s a terrible decision and wondering if you own a crystal ball perhaps and if I could borrow it.

I don’t know much about Locklear, but hope he gives us our best chance to win. Locklear obviously knows the offense well, but he’s not a big guy and Nebraska has a strong defense and will be hard to run against them. We know Cade has a good arm, but is not much of a runner. It looks like Locklear’s style is better suited for Walden’s type of offense. I think both QBs will play on Saturday and we’ll have to see who plays better.

Last edited:
How do you know it’s a terrible call? Have you been at the practices, are you familiar with how much Locklear has a grasp of the offense, have they played a game yet? Just wondering how you know it’s a terrible decision and wondering if you own a crystal ball perhaps and if I could borrow it.
It’s a message board, it’s my opinion—relax. I hope I’m wrong and Skyler wins the heisman.

My opinion is you it owe to Cade to start him if it was so close. Then you bring in Skyler for the change of pace. Unless Skyler was promised the job before he set foot on campus…

It appeared that Cade was much more accurate in the spring game. To me, it seems that in today's games, completing passes is much more important than being able to run as a QB.
Meh. We will see tomorrow. :)

It’s a message board, it’s my opinion—relax. I hope I’m wrong and Skyler wins the heisman.

My opinion is you it owe to Cade to start him if it was so close. Then you bring in Skyler for the change of pace. Unless Skyler was promised the job before he set foot on campus…
I get ya and I like Cade, but clearly Locklear know the offense that Walden runs better and is more mobile. I don’t know much about his arm to make a judgement yet. We just gotta see them in game action.

Reactions: Firstdowndash
Is Cade really the better passer? Do we know enough of Locklear to determine that?
He passes the eye test from the footage I've seen of him.

The big concern I have is Locklear's size. He looks small. Dude better slide out there or we might have another Ryan Metz situation.

Reactions: utep-piggy
It seems like the QB situation is unsettled and could be a weak point this season. Walden seems to be recruiting well, but still needs to land a guy that can take over at QB as the obvious #1. He also needs to win enough games to keep the fan base and recruits interested. There will be a lot of upperclassmen playing this year so I'm suspecting that if we start winning the portal will play a much bigger role for next year's team.

It seems like the QB situation is unsettled and could be a weak point this season. Walden seems to be recruiting well, but still needs to land a guy that can take over at QB as the obvious #1. He also needs to win enough games to keep the fan base and recruits interested. There will be a lot of upperclassmen playing this year so I'm suspecting that if we start winning the portal will play a much bigger role for next year's team.
Shay Smith with be the starting QB as a sophomore. No doubt he gets some playing next season as a Redshirt Frosh though.

I’m more concerned with the linemen. It’s unbelievable the amount of talent Dimel had on the oline and couldn’t do shit.

You're right about Dimel and linemen. He was a former lineman himself and recognized talent. The trouble wasn't the talent but his poor play calling that doomed us. Now if Walden can keep the talent level up and do a better job with game planning, we might have a shot.

Shay Smith with be the starting QB as a sophomore. No doubt he gets some playing next season as a Redshirt Frosh though.

I’m more concerned with the linemen. It’s unbelievable the amount of talent Dimel had on the oline and couldn’t do shit.
Maybe that’s one of the reasons Locklear is the guy. If the O line is in question, wouldn’t it be much better to have a mobile QB?!

If you watch those Austin Peavey games Walden leans heavily on the RPO, so it makes sense he would go with the better runner and the guy who has played in this system.

Plus, if Walden wants to snap the ball quick he’s got to keep running the ball in order to keep the clock moving. I don’t think Nebraska is going to budge on defense and if you’re going to go 3 and out throwing the ball the game could get ugly real quick if we’re burning less than 20 seconds a possession.

Reactions: FedupMiner
Who knew Nebraska would have been a B10 contender going into this game with the national top HS QB who is compared to Mahommes? The past few years we read the struggles of Nebraska. But now, all the pressure is on the team and Coach Rhule.

Nothing is expected of UTEP. Just go out, play the game and have fun.

If this was UTEP v Huskers in basketball, be honest, we all would EXPECT a win.

Okay so we know who is QB number 1 & 2. But who is number 3? I think we will see 3 QBs play this season.

Am I reading this right. One rushing attempt for 2 yards? Wow if true. Nebraska better be ready for that.

Who knew Nebraska would have been a B10 contender going into this game with the national top HS QB who is compared to Mahommes? The past few years we read the struggles of Nebraska. But now, all the pressure is on the team and Coach Rhule.

Nothing is expected of UTEP. Just go out, play the game and have fun.

If this was UTEP v Huskers in basketball, be honest, we all would EXPECT a win.
You expect us to beat the team that finished 3rd in the big 10 last year?

• Haha
Reactions: minerfan_14

I trust Coach Waldens judgement. He wants to win and sees both of these guys every day

Reactions: FedupMiner
He was clearly the better of the two... Neb is BIG on both lines, and if you look at the depth chart, they were much bigger everywhere! I would have liked to see Shay Smith throw a pass, not just wildcat stuff... Smith has 3 more games to play in.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
He was clearly the better of the two... Neb is BIG on both lines, and if you look at the depth chart, they were much bigger everywhere! I would have liked to see Shay Smith throw a pass, not just wildcat stuff... Smith has 3 more games to play in.
I don’t think Cade came in at the most opportune time. Running game was non-existent. So Cade comes in and everyone knew we had to pass.

I will tell you this, Locklear appears to have a stronger arm, and has more speed for sure. His accuracy isn’t all there.

Cade is slower, more of a pocket passer, more accurate yet throws a slower ball too.

Shay is the future. Hopefully he gets significant minutes in the 4th Quarter next week after we put that game to bed by the 3rd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT