ADVERTISEMENT

Steven Montez best QB from El Paso...

Ugh, this is bittersweet to quote from wiki because he played for the gags, but for historical purposes it should be mentioned....

"Sal Olivas (born c. 1946) was an American football player. A native of El Paso, Texas, Olivas attended Cathedral High School in that city.[1] He played college football for the New Mexico State Aggies football team from 1964 to 1967.[2][3] As a senior in 1967, he led all NCAA major college players in both total offense yards (2,190)[4][5] and passing yards (2,225),[6] and ranked second in the NCAA in pass attempts (321) and passing touchdowns (19).[" [Source: Wikipedia]

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Also, Metz has to be a an El Paso top 10 EP all time QB while at Andress. He was a damn good qb who could've played d1 anywhere but the Kugler era blurred his talent and it just caught up to him because he is not made for pistol or "option read" offense ("option read". What BS!! Call it what it is you damn sport casting car salesmen!)

Anyone know if his younger brother is good enough to play D1 qb? Should UTEP go after him?

Anyone know if his younger brother is good enough to play D1 qb? Should UTEP go after him?
I struggle when evaluating his little brother. He puts up good numbers against good competition, but is still raw at times but has improved greatly since his sophomore year. He is def a student of the game, but is more suited to D-2 level or spending a year or two at JUCO to continue his development. Basically he's not a D-1 caliber player right now, but he shows flashes of D-1 potential if that makes any sense.

Reactions: JCorona
I struggle when evaluating his little brother. He puts up good numbers against good competition, but is still raw at times but has improved greatly since his sophomore year. He is def a student of the game, but is more suited to D-2 level or spending a year or two at JUCO to continue his development. Basically he's not a D-1 caliber player right now, but he shows flashes of D-1 potential if that makes any sense.
Too bad we couldn’t see what kind of stats he would have put up against Hutto. That would have been a stiff test and a good gauge of his talent against superior talented teams.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Kai Locksley has been over 62% in each of the last 2 games and he is at 48.5% for the entire season.

Montez has played in 26 D1 games and he has made 19 D1 starts. Kai has played in 5 D1 games and he has made 4 D1 starts.

Kai is not even close to being as accurate of a passer as Montez is, which makes his improvement to over 62% in only his 3rd and 4th starts even more impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdubb66 and EPTUTEP
Am I correct that he chose baseball at the collegiate level?
If you're talking about Seth Ochoa, he was a really good quarterback, but more of a system quarterback, and yes he signed with Texas Tech, he's one hell of a middle infielder. Could have been an FBS prospect in an air raid system, very raw, but uber athletic for his size and lack of experience in football.

If you're talking about Seth Ochoa, he was a really good quarterback, but more of a system quarterback, and yes he signed with Texas Tech, he's one hell of a middle infielder. Could have been an FBS prospect in an air raid system, very raw, but uber athletic for his size and lack of experience in football.
My bad he committed to Texas Tech but is at Howard. Guess Tech didn’t honor his scholly after he hurt his kneee

My bad he committed to Texas Tech but is at Howard. Guess Tech didn’t honor his scholly after he hurt his kneee

Baseball is not a full scholarship sport. Most scholarships are shared by four guys. You're still on the hook for 75% of your college expenses. Howard might have given him a better financial aid package than Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT