ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl

Jaylon Smith blowing his knee out last year v Ohio State didn't help. I can understand why these players dont want to risk an injury because of the money they are risking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Is Mitch Trubisky playing? I think Mel Kiper has him high on his draft board....it would be interesting to see him play since my Bears will be getting a high draft pick....

Jaylon Smith blowing his knee out last year v LSU didn't help. I can understand why these players dont want to risk an injury because of the money they are risking.

Notre Dame played Ohio State in that game (Fiesta Bowl), but point taken. I still think it's a Bush League decision.

I have no idea who this guy is. Can honestly say I've never heard of him.
He has a web site and I just send him a great e-mail thanking him for his support of El Paso and the Sun Bowl. Every year someone from the media has to bash this city. I'm tired of it. This clown has probably never been here before and he wants to go on twitter a speak poorly of our well respected Bowl game. He can kiss my a**.

Is this an insult to the Sun Bowl (and El Paso)? I'd have to think he'd be playing if Stanford were in a New Years bowl.

If he took the scholarship money this season, why wouldn't he be obligated to play? The coach and teammates are really on board with this?

Yeah he'd play if it was a more meaningful bowl, like the Rose or the college playoffs. But the Jaylen Smith injury last year was a bell ringer for most of these kids when it comes to this.

Here's where we're splitting hairs, regarding him being "...obligated to play...". He's a student-athlete first and foremost. His "season" is technically over. The bowl game is practically a freebie. There's no bonus in it for him to be in it. Now that's not a defense of him, or a body slam either. Him not being in the bowl isn't going to hurt his draft stock (there's enough film of him vs top rated talent). I'd suspect we'll see more of this in the future with big name players.

Reactions: UTEP05
The era of I, Me, Mine. What happened to Jaylen Smith is unfortunate of course. But through the course of sports history, how many NFL bound players have had a serious injury in the last game of their career, particularly a Bowl game?

And Woody Paige is a total tool, even before his tweet.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
So after all is said and done the Stanford band will not be at the game and neither will McCaffery. I admit, I'm hoping McCaffery goes to the Browns or 4th and 9ers so he'll have the same success as fellow Stanford alum Tommy Vardell.

Anyone going to the game?

I'll go if I get some freebies or some cheapos after all this news on these guys not playing. I think bowls that arent part of the playoff are just getting more worthless by the day. Expand the playoff baby!

Aaron Jones was quoted on a tweet by ABC 7 Darren Hunt saying he would play but he also understands his position not to play; I wish Jones had that dilemma and 100 post response thread here for just such a topic. Damn Kugler.

Insulting other people and communities to move to the top of the sports media dung heep is required but doing it with slight of hand diplomacy is an art.

It doesn't look like there's a good crowd at the Sun Bowl...maybe 33k people. It doesn't look good on tv. I'm sure McCaffery not playing and the cold weather contributed to the low attendance.

I'm tired of douche bags like Woody Paige dissing our beloved city. Idiots like him is the reason why people who have never been to El Paso have a negative perception of our city.

Nah it's filled up nicely. You guys should know there is always a nice walk up crowd and late shows. Definitely around 40-42k.

Love how El Paso community supports the Sun Bowl. UTEP should try to learn how to get the community to do the same for UTEP athletics.

GO MINERS!

Seems like you have to wait until end of 1st qtr anymore to judge attendance. When the game started it looked like 30-35k and by early 2nd qtr it looked like 40-45k. Not filled but not bad.

42,166 official attendance.

So far ranked 4th in attendance.

1. Texas Bowl 68,412
2. Holiday Bowl 48,704
3. Russell Bowl 48,625
4. Sun Bowl 42,166

Last edited:
But the Alamo bowl had Ok State and Colorado, both driving distances for fans. There was a heck of a lot of Orange in the stands for that game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT