ADVERTISEMENT

The obvious question..

I actually wouldn't be totally surprised.

Omega is good, but Floyd may not want to deal with grade issues.

It was caldwell.His brother mention something on facebook about how his brother had to sacrifice for Jones to be a miner. I think a lot of us should say thanks to him.That's what you call a team player.

If the Caldwell story is true. It shows a lot of character on his part.
I am sure Caldwell will get some financial help or a grant.
But now that Omega is out Caldwell could keep the Scholly.
Who knows but I would like to see Omega back on the team.

Go miners...

Sucks about Omega and Matt. Still, this is going to be a very interesting team. Plus kudos to Tevin!

So what is the roster at this point im lost? Do you think Jones starts right away. I dont think he would come if he wasnt going to start. I wonder how the other players might feel. Not only Caldwell is affected but other players minutes have just been cut. I could see other players looking to transfer.

So what is the roster at this point im lost? Do you think Jones starts right away. I dont think he would come if he wasnt going to start. I wonder how the other players might feel. Not only Caldwell is affected but other players minutes have just been cut. I could see other players looking to transfer.

I think it'll be Morris, Moore and Artis...but not at all sure about who gets the PT between Jones, Winn, Thomas and Romine. Would love to see some meaningful minutes from Flaggart, Touchet and Vint. Obviously if McSwag is here, he'll be a major contributor off the bench...but where is he? Does anyone have basis for comparison between the new bigs including Winn?

Some people in here were saying they might redshirt Romine. With Jones coming now it may not be a bad ideal. I think Omega will get his grades in order by Mid December and we take CUSA.

GO MINERS

Its kinda messed up that Caldwell redshirts, works on his game, earns a scholarship and then its taken away.

I think he comes from a Military Family so maybe benefits from his father are being handed down to him and he didn't need it.

I feel bad for Caldwell, he's going on his 3rd season here, and just when he thought he was a "full-ride" College Basketball player, Floyd pulls it from him to sign someone else.

Its not messed up its life. I bet he new the risk of coming to Utep. He is prolly not good enough to be playing at this level. If he was at another school he prolly wouldnt have been given the chance for a scholarship. Basketball is a business cant take it personal.

Its not messed up its life. I bet he new the risk of coming to Utep. He is prolly not good enough to be playing at this level. If he was at another school he prolly wouldnt have been given the chance for a scholarship. Basketball is a business cant take it personal.
Having declared NCAA sports a business, how much should players get paid ? Scholarships aren't considered income .

Having declared NCAA sports a business, how much should players get paid ? Scholarships aren't considered income .

This sort of stuff happens in all levels of basketball and every other sport. If you are not good enough you will get replaced. It happens in the work force it happens all the time. And yes college sports is a business. The players do get paid. There wasnt enough money to give to Caldwell.

Carlos can you please pull your head out of your ass??? I know it's way up there but for the sake of the board just give it a good yank

Very interesting take. "its life."

We have a coach who has kicked guys off the team for character issues. He has players that have served suspensions for games here and there for violating team rules. Several guys have been benched for unknown reasons. Tim Floyd has made it pretty clear he wants his players to exhibit high character and that it is his way or the highway.

That's why I find it fascinating that he would ask a walk-on to redshirt. Then the same walk-on is then offered a 'full ride.' And it was a big deal to him. But Floyd's word means nothing because he later takes it away. The very same coach who got in a fight in the Bahamas.

Even though he takes alot of things personal, his athletes aren't supposed to cause 'its a business.' Do as I say not as I do. I wouldn't have as much as a problem if it was a new recruit that was released and could get picked up somewhere else. But this kid is in year 3 of the program and had earned it. Very surprising to me to hear that, "its life."

It was caldwell.His brother mention something on facebook about how his brother had to sacrifice for Jones to be a miner. I think a lot of us should say thanks to him.That's what you call a team player.

Caldwell, this is for you!

Makers_Mark.jpg

This sort of stuff happens in all levels of basketball and every other sport. If you are not good enough you will get replaced. It happens in the work force it happens all the time. And yes college sports is a business. The players do get paid. There wasnt enough money to give to Caldwell.

I'm sorry, show me where Student Athletes "get paid."

The difference with your example with the workforce is that you applied for the job, not the other way around. No job came to you and recruited you to move only to go out each and every year afterwards looking for someone to replace you. No company worth their weight could survive a turnover in personnel like that. You're letting your personal feelings get in the way of looking at the situation objectively.

Reactions: develman
I'm sorry, show me where Student Athletes "get paid."

The difference with your example with the workforce is that you applied for the job, not the other way around. No job came to you and recruited you to move only to go out each and every year afterwards looking for someone to replace you. No company worth their weight could survive a turnover in personnel like that. You're letting your personal feelings get in the way of looking at the situation objectively.

I think he's suggesting they are compensated with a college education and opportunity for a degree, which has proven economic value in the marketplace.

Reactions: PURPLEFIRE
The whole college scholarship "agreement" is, next to an NFL contract, one of the most lopsided agreements in the history of contracts.

1. A coach recruits a player to play for him/her at their school. That student athlete is forbidden to leave unless they submit a transfer request and it is approved by the school and the NCAA.

2. The student athlete is required to sit out a year (out of conference) or two years (in-conference) from their sport because of a transfer. For what rationale reason is that - and don't say so they're not exchanging "company secrets."

3. The NCAA limits the number of meals (glad this was repealed and adjusted) a school can serve a student athlete.

4. The NCAA owns the rights to an athlete's image in-perpetuity. This is part of the foundation of Ed O'Bannon vs. NCAA lawsuit.

I think he's suggesting they are compensated with a college education and opportunity for a degree, which has proven economic value in the marketplace.

A college education via a degree in what? International Educational Studies? lmao. Student Athletes in the more popular sports (meaning revenue generating) are given foo-foo classes and artificial coursework with degrees in meaningless disciplines. I'm not being disrespectful, but I'm laughing at the "proven economic value" part of your post. A few months ago, HBO Real Sports aired a segment on athletes supposedly getting their education but got it through manufactured degrees in subjects that have zero marketability. Sports Illustrated did a three-five part piece, two years ago I believe, on the student athlete educational process. They paid particular attention to Auburn, Oklahoma State, etc. I highly recommend Googling those articles if you're not familiar with them. Even the Real Sports segment is worth watching as well. There are athletes that "graduate" with degrees that they can't do anything with (there goes that proven economic value thing) or no one has ever heard of. But the majority don't even finish school because their scholarship isn't renewed and why? Because they fell out of favor, a coaching staff change or they become outcasts because they were injured and can't play anymore and their ability to perform has been substantially degraded.

All of this falls backwards with FiliUtep's post. If a student athlete is annually subjected to potentially losing their scholarship because a newer, shiner one is found - or Heaven forbid the previous coaching staff leaves and the new coaching staff doesn't like them or their ability - how many of those athletes actually have the opportunity to finish school? Not many.

This is just the educational component. We haven't even touched on the injury part and how that impacts a student athlete remaining a "student athlete."

Last edited:
Tribal,

You sir are wasting your time putting facts and common sense in your post. The only thing you need to know is that Tim Floyd is a God and you don't know anything unless you have season tickets.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
The whole college scholarship "agreement" is, next to an NFL contract, one of the most lopsided agreements in the history of contracts.

1. A coach recruits a player to play for him/her at their school. That student athlete is forbidden to leave unless they submit a transfer request and it is approved by the school and the NCAA.

2. The student athlete is required to sit out a year (out of conference) or two years (in-conference) from their sport because of a transfer. For what rationale reason is that - and don't say so they're not exchanging "company secrets."

3. The NCAA limits the number of meals (glad this was repealed and adjusted) a school can serve a student athlete.

4. The NCAA owns the rights to an athlete's image in-perpetuity. This is part of the foundation of Ed O'Bannon vs. NCAA lawsuit.

5. If she/he is a dedicated student they get a free college education and degree in exchange for the above.

Are you saying they're exploited victims?

A college education via a degree in what? International Educational Studies? lmao. Student Athletes in the more popular sports (meaning revenue generating) are given foo-foo classes and artificial coursework with degrees in meaningless disciplines. I'm not being disrespectful, but I'm laughing at the "proven economic value" part of your post. A few months ago, HBO Real Sports aired a segment on athletes supposedly getting their education but got it through manufactured degrees in subjects that have zero marketability. Sports Illustrated did a three-five part piece, two years ago I believe, on the student athlete educational process. They paid particular attention to Auburn, Oklahoma State, etc. I highly recommend Googling those articles if you're not familiar with them. Even the Real Sports segment is worth watching as well. There are athletes that "graduate" with degrees that they can't do anything with (there goes that proven economic value thing) or no one has ever heard of. But the majority don't even finish school because their scholarship isn't renewed and why? Because they fell out of favor, a coaching staff change or they become outcasts because they were injured and can't play anymore and their ability to perform has been substantially degraded.

All of this falls backwards with FiliUtep's post. If a student athlete is annually subjected to potentially losing their scholarship because a newer, shiner one is found - or Heaven forbid the previous coaching staff leaves and the new coaching staff doesn't like them or their ability - how many of those athletes actually have the opportunity to finish school? Not many.

This is just the educational component. We haven't even touched on the injury part and how that impacts a student athlete remaining a "student athlete."

I wasn't aware that schools chose the majors for their athletes.

Tribal,

You sir are wasting your time putting facts and common sense in your post. The only thing you need to know is that Tim Floyd is a God and you don't know anything unless you have season tickets.

Actually it's you that's incapable of nuanced thinking.

5. If she/he is a dedicated student they get a free college education and degree in exchange for the above.

Are you saying they're exploited victims?

I'll definitely cosign the exploited part. However, you can decide whether or not they meet your threshold of being a victim or not.

NY Times:

"The pay gap between college graduates and everyone else reached a record high last year, according to the new data, which is based on an analysis of Labor Department statistics by the Economic Policy Institute in Washington. Americans with four-year college degrees made 98 percent more an hour on average in 2013 than people without a degree. That’s up from 89 percent five years earlier, 85 percent a decade earlier and 64 percent in the early 1980s."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/2...h-it-clearly-new-data-say.html?referrer=&_r=0

NY Times:

"The pay gap between college graduates and everyone else reached a record high last year, according to the new data, which is based on an analysis of Labor Department statistics by the Economic Policy Institute in Washington. Americans with four-year college degrees made 98 percent more an hour on average in 2013 than people without a degree. That’s up from 89 percent five years earlier, 85 percent a decade earlier and 64 percent in the early 1980s."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/2...h-it-clearly-new-data-say.html?referrer=&_r=0

That article talks about regular college students. We're talking about student athletes. Doesn't seem like a difference on one end, but they are two different ends of the same animal. Just FYI, there are more articles talking about the plight of student athletes, ie graduation rates, etc. than there are about how successful some have been after college.

Nice article just the same.

That article talks about regular college students. We're talking about student athletes. Doesn't seem like a difference on one end, but they are two different ends of the same animal. Just FYI, there are more articles talking about the plight of student athletes, ie graduation rates, etc. than there are about how successful some have been after college.

Nice article just the same.

I agree that a key success metric for an athletic program should be student-athlete graduation rates, which this study says are on the rise:

95480-GSR-Infographic-web-02.jpg

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/graduation-rates

Last edited:
I'm sorry but since when is it not enough to get a free four year education for putting a round ball in a hoop? I sure as hell know I wouldn't complain if someone took care of my college tuition!!!.....

I'm sorry but since when is it not enough to get a free four year education for putting a round ball in a hoop? I sure as hell know I wouldn't complain if someone took care of my college tuition!!!.....

No none would. However, they do not offer four year scholarships (although some P5 schools have announced they would). They are one year renewals. Second, the amount of time spent in preparation (conditioning), practice (even limited by NCAA rule) and the season - not to mention any tournament time reduce the amount of time student athletes have for internships, jobs, etc.

I agree that a key success metric for an athletic program should be student-athlete graduation rates, which this study says are on the rise:

95480-GSR-Infographic-web-02.jpg

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/graduation-rates

Yup. Remember that "schools picking their players majors" thing? Part of ensuring athletes finish school and graduate is ensuring they're taking classes they can pass. I know that sounds like a backhanded slap that all student athletes are stupid - they are not. But coaching staffs and the schools are pressured to raise their grad rates and API scores. Part of doing that is making sure your starting center isn't taking Aeronautical Engineering during the season.

I HIGHLY recommend watching that HBO Real Sports segment. You'll faint when you hear what some schools have done; namely North Carolina, Memphis, etc.

In the meantime here's a couple of articles to read. The OSU one is a four part series and the Auburn one is just flat out embarrassing.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/sports/ncaafootball/06auburn.html?_r=0

http://www.si.com/college-football/2013/09/11/oklahoma-state-part-2-academics

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo.../unc-academic-fraud-report-detials/in/1336310

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT