ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP could possibly be sending WKU HC Coach Mike Sanford Jr. packing?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
"At the start of this week, the Bowling Green Daily News reported that Mike Sanford Jr.’s future as WKU’s head coach is dependent on how the team finishes these last two weeks...."

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/201...eview-prediction-sanford-football-miners-tops

Just my "not even worth a cup of coffee thoughts", you have to give a division 1 coach three yeas at the very least, especially if you bring in a totally new offense and defense.

WKU was Boise State like three years ago but like the majority of CUSA, they don't offer enough to keep the success going so you rebuild off the seniors who raised the bar high.

I don't know. This is a game UTEP can and should win.

I don’t agree with needing to give a coach at least three years. If the program is in turmoil and a rebuilding is needed then yes 3-4 years at least. If the coach inherited a conference championship program, then the leash should be much tighter. USM was a top 25 team that made a bad hire and ended the following year winless. WKU was also a top 25 conference championship team that has now regressed to being tied for last place. Giving a coach too much time when the team is not showing any improvements is how UTEP athletics ended up in the situation we are in. I hope we beat WKU and they fire their coach and get a new one that takes them back to the top of the standings.

I don’t agree with needing to give a coach at least three years. If the program is in turmoil and a rebuilding is needed then yes 3-4 years at least. If the coach inherited a conference championship program, then the leash should be much tighter. USM was a top 25 team that made a bad hire and ended the following year winless. WKU was also a top 25 conference championship team that has now regressed to being tied for last place. Giving a coach too much time when the team is not showing any improvements is how UTEP athletics ended up in the situation we are in. I hope we beat WKU and they fire their coach and get a new one that takes them back to the top of the standings.
Good point. However, I expect to see Dimel succeed in this conference (there is absolutely no excuse he can not) and possible Top 25 other than WKU. It can be done and it has been proven it can be done with Stull and Price and Nord winning a conference championship and not settling for a New Mexico Bowl or mirror a program like Rice where Kugler had the bar set at.

Good point. However, I expect to see Dimel succeed in this conference (there is absolutely no excuse he can not) and possible Top 25 other than WKU. It can be done and it has been proven it can be done with Stull and Price and Nord winning a conference championship and not settling for a New Mexico Bowl or mirror a program like Rice where Kugler had the bar set at.
I agree with Dimel being able to have success and at a much faster rate than expected. This conference is full of examples of teams going from rags to riches (FAU, FIU, UAB, & UNT) overnight. And the opposite also going from first to worst (WKU & USM) in one season. We’ve played every conference opponent close so far. We should win some of those toss up games by next year.

3 years HAS to be the minimum time given to a coach unless year 2 is an utter disaster, probably including reasons beyond the W-L column. Otherwise you run the risk of scaring off any future quality candidates. Most coaches know that this UTEP team wasn’t a two year turn around. WKU was obviously really good in 2015, however they lost so much production from that team it was basically like a rebuild. They lost a 5000 yard passer, over 2200 yards in two of their leading rushers, over 2000 from their leading two receivers, not to mention what they lost in the trenches...and that’s just the offense. Not saying he’d succeed with another year but he deserved that much time to build the program back up.

Those are just my meaningless two cents worth.

This year obviously will not have many wins. Hoping still for 1 or 2 more. However this is a much better team than last year despite the injuries we've been dealt with on O-line. I like the direction and there's hope I think for the future of the program.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Three years is fair. IMO if a university has the financial backing and wants to let their standards of football be known to all future candidates by firing an under performing coach I respect that approach as well. If a potential coach is afraid they can’t do better than finish in last place by year two in a very bad FBS conference, then I’m sure that university doesn’t want him applying anyway.

This all on the assumption that UTEP beats them and they lose at La Tech how they’re supposed to.

WKU has hired good football coaches since moving up to FBS. Sometimes an AD will make a bad hire. I’m not saying this is one. Sanford could go either way if given another season. From the CUSA boards it seems WKU wants to pay to not wait a year and find out. We’ve seen some successful hc’s bolt after two years for a P5 program so they shouldn’t be shocked if a university wants to buy out their contract after two years but for the opposite reason.

Well, whatever the AD says on Monday one thing is for sure, his Burgoo stew will taste sweeter today.

(I don't know what Burgoo stew is? It's a Kentucky thing. I know they can lick my Bourbon Balls)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT