ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Defense

PicksForPaydirt

High school stud
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2019
Preface: I am a fan speaking from a fan's perspective and I do not intend to criticize the coaching or the players. I simply want to point out few things I have noticed for some good discussion.

Last week, I drove to Lynchburg to watch UTEP at Liberty. While I walked away completely pissed because we lost, I finally cooled my emotions and realized that UTEP matched up very well with Liberty. That being noted, the defense did seem to take a step forward, but I do have some questions on the match ups. I have never been a fan of a three man front defense, especially in college where it is extremely difficult to get a prototype three man front (big enough to take up the o-line). Our defense is quick and takes good angles to the ball, but they are a bit undersized. Has the switch to a three-man front, made it is difficult for Westmoreland to return to last year's productivity? Westmoreland is an awesome player and athlete but I haven't seen him have the same success as he previously had. I know that offenses are game planning against Mo, so what adjustments can be made to help get him free make big plays? Kory Chapman is also a beast. He was in lock step with Liberty's first string running back until he got injured. When Liberty starting using their two alternate running backs, we simply could not keep up with them. At this point in the season, would it be a good idea to give an opportunity to players like Shuffelt, Taylor-Barrocks, Brown-Turner, and Meadows? They were all highly recruited and it would be nice to see what they can do.

Like most on this page, I am frustrated that we are not winning. I'm still upset that we lost at home, to Southern Utah but as a life-long fan, I have a hard time not being optimistic.

I would like to see some other RBs. Why is Jackson getting all the carries?? Also what happened to Goodman wasn't he Austin Peay best wr last year??

I did notice that Utep has 2 players in top 10 tackles.

Reactions: PicksForPaydirt
I would like to see some other RBs. Why is Jackson getting all the carries?? Also what happened to Goodman wasn't he Austin Peay best wr last year??

I did notice that Utep has 2 players in top 10 tackles.
Only the Peay players are getting reps. The Dimel guys are riding the pine. Expect some guys to sit out completely after 4 games to preserve their year and transfer out. I really don't blame them.

Every time one of my teams switched to a 3 DL base defense, they got worse. I don't know if it's because it's hard to recruit the needed personnel to make it work at this level, or if the defense itself is crap.

But I'm not too optimistic about it.

Reactions: PicksForPaydirt
Only the Peay players are getting reps. The Dimel guys are riding the pine. Expect some guys to sit out completely after 4 games to preserve their year and transfer out. I really don't blame them.
I'll be honest that I have thought the same. I wanted to keep that close hold but its good to know that I'm not the only one that is feeling that way. I think at QB, Skylar is an athlete who is talented but in three games, he hasn't put points on the board. I would like to see a change. If both QBs were so close in the competition, then there really shouldn't be a drop off....

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I'll be honest that I have thought the same. I wanted to keep that close hold but its good to know that I'm not the only one that is feeling that way. I think at QB, Skylar is an athlete who is talented but in three games, he hasn't put points on the board. I would like to see a change. If both QBs were so close in the competition, then there really shouldn't be a drop off....

Skylar did score points, against Southern Utah he had a passing, rushing, and receiving TD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT