ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP President

WestTx12

Rookie
Jul 31, 2018
Does anyone have any insider knowledge on who is/are the finalist(s) to replace Natalicio?

Why not???
Hes not qualified. Maybe Athletic Director yes (and even then, it's probably a bad hire).

As much as we like sports. Wins on the field shouldn't be the top priority or expertise of a University President.

I'm hoping for a university president molded after the president from the Univeristy of Houston who see's athletics as an asset and not a liability like Ms. "More with Less". Houston's President has pumped millions into athletics, invested tens of millions in new athletic venues and upgrades, and she is making a serious attempt to get Houston into a P5 conference. Compare that to the utter contempt and distain for UTEP athletics by its own University President for the last thirty years. No wonder UTEP has hit rock bottom. SUCCESSFUL UNIVERSITY ACADEMICS AND ATHLETICS ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE! Good riddance Natalicio!!!

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a university president molded after the president from the Univeristy of Houston who see's athletics as an asset and not a liability like Ms. "More with Less". Houston's President has pumped millions into athletics, invested tens of millions in new athletic venues and upgrades, and she is making a serious attempt to get Houston into a P5 conference. Compare that to the utter contempt and distain for UTEP athletics by its own University President for the last thirty years. No wonder UTEP has hit rock bottom. SUCCESSFUL UNIVERSITY ACADEMICS AND ATHLETICS ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE! Good riddance Natalicio!!!
I wouldn't say good riddance at all. Tier 1 status is a huge achievement. However, there is a happy medium between the Penn State, Miami, and Baylor model (just win, who cares who gets hurt along the way) and Natalicios philosophy of treating it like an annoying side project.

As cool as Tier 1 is, I'm pretty sure we could've won a few more games along the way with better leadership. 90% of the blame goes to Stull, 9% goes to Natalicio for not firing him 5 years ago, 1% everything else.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I don't think Natalicio was really against Athletics. She probably knew little about it and preferred not to be hands on in the running of it. Her main fault was letting Bob Stull have a free hand in the Athletic Department. While Stull made some good hires in various sports, he allowed coaches to stay much too long past their hey days. And Stull seemed not to do enough to get donations to improve the Athletic Department. Who gets credit for getting the basketball practice facility built? That was the one good thing that got built during Stull's tenure. It was a systemic lapse that put UTEP's AD into the toilet rather than any one person doing it all. Let's hope the new president continues Natalicio's academic improvements while hitching up Athletics to the band wagon. We can have both.

Very nice hire. She has a very impressive background. The biggest winner in this hire is UTEP's Military Science Department. They should have no problems getting what ever they need now.

This affects me in two ways: I currently work as a Department of the Air Force civilian, and, of course, she will become the next president of my alma mater. She is obviously very capable, and I think that this is a great choice. It will also provide a lot of media attention to UTEP. Good hire.

She’s impressive, but she’s a REPUBLICAN!

shocked-gif-3.gif

She can finally get UTEP Athletics into the MWC! As former Secretary of the USAF all she has to do is threaten the MWC schools with a few air strikes. I think the tactic may work.
A little persimmon humor ... I like it.

Bigwood, we're getting our new Prez. All three major military schools run the triple option. Could there be hope, still?

Bigwood, we're getting our new Prez. All three major military schools run the triple option. Could there be hope, still?
Not sure, I was being silly.

But I do hope someone does ask her about the athletics program, I think this is a fair question the media should ask.

I'd ask like this.....

It's not a secret that UTEP athletics has struggled and under performed in recent years Dr. Wilson, how much of a hands on approach would you like to have towards athletics, or is that something you will fully trust Jim Senter to turn around?

Very impressive hire. I like the fact that she left a prestigious government position to take over as UTEP’s president. I think the Board of Regents believes she will be a great leader like former UT Chancellor and retired Navy Admiral McRaven. He was highly regarded at UT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT