ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP President

I'm very Liberal, but political views shouldn't matter in these type of hires.

Wilson ran a University before.
She ran a huge operation in the Air Force.
She represented Albuquerque which is very similar to El Paso.

Wilson has a great resume. Seems like a home run hire.

I just hope if she is good, she gives us 10 years because she does seem to hop from one job to another.

Adrian Broaddus said she helped some directional state school in the dakotas move from NAIA to Div II.

A great hire! Sad to see her leave the AF. She was a HUGE improvement over the previous Secretary and she not only was having an impact on our AF’s lethality but pushing the AF to do more with public universities instead of relying primarily on the AF Institute of Technology for our advanced degrees. I see her bringing more federal and private research dollars to UTEP.

Disappointed in the El Paso Times story, choosing to get Veronica's Escobars take and really trying to ignite the political aspects of the hiring.

All that's important is qualifications. It has nothing to do with the Border Wall. I don't know why Escobar and her extreme left agenda had to take up 3 paragraphs of the article.

Disappointed in the El Paso Times story, choosing to get Veronica's Escobars take and really trying to ignite the political aspects of the hiring.

All that's important is qualifications. It has nothing to do with the Border Wall. I don't know why Escobar and her extreme left agenda had to take up 3 paragraphs of the article.
The EP Times has gone full whack

Reactions: WestTx12
I'm very Liberal, but political views shouldn't matter in these type of hires.

Wilson ran a University before.
She ran a huge operation in the Air Force.
She represented Albuquerque which is very similar to El Paso.

Wilson has a great resume. Seems like a home run hire.

I just hope if she is good, she gives us 10 years because she does seem to hop from one job to another.
This is odd since you as a liberal think this is a good hire and her politics should be overlooked for this job while I as a conservative have a different take.

She is a conservative republican and El Paso/UTEP is heavily liberal democrat.

She has views, as do many, that marriage should only be between 1 man and 1 woman while liberals and gays have strong views to the contrary.

She is an Anglo while El Paso/UTEP are heavily Hispanic.

I think she would be a great university president with her background but at an institution and community where her views and race were more appreciated. I just don't see the El Paso/UTEP community overall, accepting her to the degree she will need in order to be successful. I wish her well but it might be a good idea for her to rethink this.

This is odd since you as a liberal think this is a good hire and her politics should be overlooked for this job while I as a conservative have a different take.

She has views, as do many, that marriage should only be between 1 man and 1 woman while liberals and gays have strong views to the contrary.

I think she would be a great university president with her background but at an institution and community where her views and race were more appreciated. I just don't see the El Paso/UTEP community overall, accepting her to the degree she will need in order to be successful. I wish her well but it might be a good idea for her to rethink this.
Well, I wouldn't vote for her, but politics shouldn't bleed into everything.

I agree she is out of step with the community on a lot of issues, but as long as she advocates for UTEP and it's students, that's okay with me.

She's going to have to convince some people, but no one was going to be accepted by everyone.

If she kicks butt and brings a bunch of contacts to UTEP no one will care about her record in Congress.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

When Dr. Natalicio announced her retirement, I never once concerned myself with the political party her replacement. Nor did I care whether or not her replacement was politically conservative or liberal. Or with their position on gay marriage. The ethnicity of said replacement also never entered my mind.

I don't care about any of the above. Nor do I care about the next UTEP President's positions on abortion, gun control, taxes, or a myriad of other topics.

I care that we get a president that is a good leader. One who will make good hires for key positions and create a environment where they can succeed. One who will reward subordinates for their successes, and hold them accountable for their failures. I want a president that can continue to build UTEP as a top notch research institution, and who can find multiple ways to bring dollars into this university. I believe that Dr. Wilson, with her intelligence, knowledge, and experience, can do these things. I believe that she will prove to be a great hire.

Last edited:
R
When Dr. Natalicio announced her retirement, I never once concerned myself with the political party her replacement. Nor did I care whether or not her replacement was politically conservative or liberal. Or with their position on gay marriage. The ethnicity of said replacement also never entered my mind.

I don't care about any of the above. Nor do I care about the next UTEP President's positions on abortion, gun control, taxes, or a myriad of other topics.

I care that we get a president that is a good leader. One who will make good hires for key positions and create a environment where they can succeed. One who will reward subordinates for their successes, and hold them accountable for their failures. I want a president that can continue to build UTEP as a top notch research institution, and who can find multiple ways to bring dollars into this university. I believe that Dr. Wilson, with her intelligence, knowledge, and experience can these things. I believe that she will prove to be a great hire.
Right on Maniac on all counts. There will always be some negative Nancys. Seems like a perfect hire: so far.

Reactions: minermx07

Agre completely. I write to Veronica expressing similar concerns.

Completely disagree

RG0BS1U.gif

Ignore the media. For all the challenges facing UTEP today, we must maintain proper focus ... The newcomer's views on gay marriage are totally immaterial to me. A grain of sand in the desert.

Somebody today sent me an electronic blast, asking me to denounce the new president's appointment. I declined. Ain't got time to borrow trouble.

We alums, boosters and fans cannot be distracted by the media's focus on a tiny, microscopic aspect of the University president's job description.

Academics, research, athletics, serving the region. These should be the hallmarks of UTEP.

Last edited:

If liberal people are thought to be 'more accepting', then why don't you think she would be more accepted? You don't fight fire with fire.

Reactions: Dmanminer
If liberal people are thought to be 'more accepting', then why don't you think she would be more accepted? You don't fight fire with fire.
More accepting? Like conservatives are "more family values" why did they vote for a philandering lying sack a shit?

Everything is so damn political anymore. Not EVERYTHING has to do with being on one side or the other. If people would accept others views as being THEIRS without having to try to correct them, we'd all be better off.

I don't give a rats ass her past views on gay rights. (I am personally in support of those rights) To me, it has zero bearing on her ability to lead UTEP very well. Her resume is strong.

Everyone seems entitled these days. It's nuts.

What time of day was this photo? And shouldn't many of these adolescents be in school?
You are correct.

As for Bob, I liked the dude for years. I actually worked with him. Since he was forced out of the Times, he has shown he is faaaar left. He pushes agendas so his articles get picked up and he gets paid. He didn't run the Times into the ground, but he sure the hell didn't help save it either.

Bob will push everything democratic as it helps HIS standing and paychecks. I understand survival, but c'mon man.....

Yaw-w-w-w-n. If the Miners were doing better in football and basketball, this forum would have greeted this non-event at the airport with the attention it deserved. Zero.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT