ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP to play Oregon (MBB) + other OOC news

I guess I have never thought about it, but is 85k a good payout for playing OOC on the road? I only think of the huge football payouts.

I guess I have never thought about it, but is 85k a good payout for playing OOC on the road? I only think of the huge football payouts.
Depends on travel and if you think you can do better playing at home. UTEP paid McNeese St $50,000 for the 12/16/21 home game and had “5,522” in attendance.

I believe I saw UTEP paid $10,000 to one of their D2 opponents this year.

Lobos paid $90,000 for a game against Houston Baptist in 2019. https://athleticscontracts.unm.edu/...-contracts/12.22.19---mbb-vs.-houston-baptist

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
The Miners should be able to play 15 Non-Conference games in 2023-24. They only played 11 last year. With the loss of NMSU as a non-conference opponent, that’s 6 more games they have to schedule for next season.

1. At Oregon
2. At WAC team
3. Vs WAC team
4. Vs Sun Bowl Tournament
5. Vs Sun Bowl Tournament
6. Vs Jim Forbes Classic???
7. Vs Jim Forbes Classic???
8. Vs Jim Forbes Classic???

Still nothing to update for UTEP. Found this interesting.

UTEP last hosted a P6 on 12/9/17 vs Washington St. Before that 12/19/14 vs Arizona. Also hosted Oregon on 12/19/12 and Nebraska on 12/23/12 as part of the Sun Bowl invitational.

One of the WAC games will be at ACU

1. At Oregon
2. At ACU
3. Vs WAC team

Reactions: Lil_Train
One of the WAC games will be at ACU

1. At Oregon
2. At ACU
3. Vs WAC team

Cool we can leave him there.

The Miners should be able to play 15 Non-Conference games in 2023-24. They only played 11 last year. With the loss of NMSU as a non-conference opponent, that’s 6 more games they have to schedule for next season.

1. At Oregon
2. At WAC team
3. Vs WAC team
The Jim Forbes Classic was a Multi Team Exempt event by NCAA rules. A school can only play in the same event once every four years. This will not be taking place next year. UTEP will most likely be playing in an MTE but not in El Paso. I believe they are in one in Southern California.

The Jim Forbes Classic was a Multi Team Exempt event by NCAA rules. A school can only play in the same event once every four years. This will not be taking place next year. UTEP will most likely be playing in an MTE but not in El Paso. I believe they are in one in Southern California.
That’s weird. I wonder how Pacific and Central Arkansas hosted MTEs last year and are doing so again this season. I guess that rule doesn’t apply to powerhouse schools such as them…

That’s weird. I wonder how Pacific and Central Arkansas hosted MTEs last year and are doing so again this season. I guess that rule doesn’t apply to powerhouse schools such as them…
Instead of always being a smartass maybe you could just look it up yourself.

Screenshot-2023-06-06-200521.jpg

The Gulf Coast Showcase would be the Miners MTE this season. Not official yet, but we will see. The sucky thing about it, is that it’s broadcast on FloSports.

At Oregon
2. At ACU
3. Vs WAC team
6. Vs Gulf Coast Showcase
7. Vs Gulf Coast Showcase
8. Vs Gulf Coast Showcase

November 20 & 22, 2023​

San Juan Capistrano, Southern California​

Last edited:
Much better field than the Gulf Coast one.
Not really. UTEP will also get 1 home game versus a team to be determined. The Gulf Coast tournament had a balanced field.

Cal is absolutely awful. Tulane and Bradley are fine. It’s an okay field, but not a team that stands out. You can argue that UTEP might be the worst team. Especially if Cal hits on their transfers.

1. At Oregon
2. At ACU
3. Vs WAC team
6. vs So Cal Challenge- home game
7. Vs Cal/Bradley/Tulane
8. Vs Cal/Bradley/Tulane

Not really. UTEP will also get 1 home game versus a team to be determined. The Gulf Coast tournament had a balanced field.

Cal is absolutely awful. Tulane and Bradley are fine. It’s an okay field, but not a team that stands out. You can argue that UTEP might be the worst team. Especially if Cal hits on their transfers.
Do you ever do any research?
Tulane and Bradley are fine?
Bradley won the Missouri Valley Conference and Tulane was third in the AAC behind Houston and Memphis.
CAL had a historically bad team last year but they are still a Power 5 school who will most certainly be better.
You say UTEP may be the worst team in the field while saying the Gulf Coast had a better field.
Clueless.

Do you ever do any research?
Tulane and Bradley are fine?
Bradley won the Missouri Valley Conference and Tulane was third in the AAC behind Houston and Memphis.
CAL had a historically bad team last year but they are still a Power 5 school who will most certainly be better.
You say UTEP may be the worst team in the field while saying the Gulf Coast had a better field.
Clueless.
Tulane and Bradley didn’t make the NCAAs last year. Tulane didn’t even make the NIT. Bradley got blown out by barely .500 Wisconsin in the NIT and wasn’t in consideration for an at-large bid.

Cal hasn’t been to the NCAAs since 2016. They have sucked for a long time. Do you ever do any research?

And yes, the Gulf Coast’s current 6 team field is more balanced, which I claimed. I never said better. Maybe you should actually try reading what I wrote.

Is it though? Lol
Went to Xavier
Went to TCU - think he redshirted
Went to UTEP
Went to Vandy - for a month
Went to Memphis
Currently at Cal
Kennedy played his freshman year at TCU, then redshirted at UTEP the following year.

He was a grad transfer with two years eligibility when he left UTEP. I guess grad transfers on a second transfer don't need a waiver. Seems like he should need to sit out a year at Cal, but the NCAA works in mysterious ways. With the NIL in place, alot of these guys are better off staying in "school" and collecting a paycheck. In Kennedy's case, he may be better off having to sit out next year, then finishing up as a 25/26 year old. Crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Kennedy played his freshman year at TCU, then redshirted at UTEP the following year.

He was a grad transfer with two years eligibility when he left UTEP. I guess grad transfers on a second transfer don't need a waiver. Seems like he should need to sit out a year at Cal, but the NCAA works in mysterious ways. With the NIL in place, alot of these guys are better off staying in "school" and collecting a paycheck. In Kennedy's case, he may be better off having to sit out next year, then finishing up as a 25/26 year old. Crazy.
Just going off memory, I thought Kennedy played his freshman year at Xavier, then committed to TCU but never stepped on the court in a Horned Frog uniform?

1. At Oregon
2. At ACU
3. Vs WAC team
4. Vs Norfolk St
5. Vs Wyoming/South Dakota St
7. Vs Cal/Bradley/Tulane
8. Vs Cal/Bradley/Tulane

1. At Oregon
2. At ACU
3. Vs WAC team
4. Vs Norfolk St
5. Vs Wyoming/South Dakota St
7. Vs Cal/Bradley/Tulane
8. Vs Cal/Bradley/Tulane
Isn't ACU the WAC school we're playing? Or are we playing two WAC schools?

Decent pre conference schedule so far. No Sul Ross(es) or Northern New Mexico State College(s)…yet.
Still 7 games left to fill, 1 WAC team TBD and a home game for the So Cal tournament, which will be a garbage team. Last year, the “Sand” teams were Central Michigan, High Point, CSUN, and Tennessee St.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT