ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Volleyball

Coach Wallis is building something special at UTEP. He’s created a winning culture that frankly wasn’t there. The players have bought into his coaching philosophy and he gets them to play their best. We’re a couple of players away from being a conference powerhouse.

Utep showed heart the other night against Rice. After those first two sets, they could’ve called it quits, but they fought back before losing the third. They still have a ways to go to beat the WKU and Rice’s of the world but what Coach Wallis has done, is amazing. They even said on the broadcast, that he is such a good recruiter and is getting some looks from top recruits.

On a personal note, I have a very close family friend, whose daughter was being recruited by UTEP. She absolutely loved Coach Wallis and even said that he was one of her favorites but she decided to go to an AAC program that is a much more respected university. And I know we said it about basketball and football recruiting but she wouldn’t even visit the campus because it was in El Paso. She even asked me is it was true that UTEP had a 100% acceptance rate. It’s really such a shame that there is such a negative stereotype of El Paso.

Utep showed heart the other night against Rice. After those first two sets, they could’ve called it quits, but they fought back before losing the third. They still have a ways to go to beat the WKU and Rice’s of the world but what Coach Wallis has done, is amazing. They even said on the broadcast, that he is such a good recruiter and is getting some looks from top recruits.

On a personal note, I have a very close family friend, whose daughter was being recruited by UTEP. She absolutely loved Coach Wallis and even said that he was one of her favorites but she decided to go to an AAC program that is a much more respected university. And I know we said it about basketball and football recruiting but she wouldn’t even visit the campus because it was in El Paso. She even asked me is it was true that UTEP had a 100% acceptance rate. It’s really such a shame that there is such a negative stereotype of El Paso.

Depending on what circles you are in, a high acceptance rate is not a bad thing. I have a family member that works for an NAIA school, and they tell me that the school president quotes Dr. Natalicio a lot and wants to model their university after UTEP.

Reactions: MinerManiac

I guess it's a valid point to some, but I'm not sure what the acceptance rate has to do with accepting a volleyball scholarship. Not wanting to come to El Paso for whatever reason is a different story.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I guess it's a valid point to some, but I'm not sure what the acceptance rate has to do with accepting a volleyball scholarship. Not wanting to come to El Paso for whatever reason is a different story.
So if you’re a scholarship player and you get multiple offers and are getting a free education, some may take scholarship to play somewhere like Tulane versus UTEP just for the prestige of the university. Acceptance rate does matter to some.

Reactions: minerfan_14
So if you’re a scholarship player and you get multiple offers and are getting a free education, some may take scholarship to play somewhere like Tulane versus UTEP just for the prestige of the university. Acceptance rate does matter to some.
Also field of study. Let’s say someone wants to get into aviation but has a choice between UTEP and OK State. They would for state since they have an aeronautical program

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
Then IMO acceptance rate has nothing to do with it then. If she thought another school was more prestigious (or if they have her field of study), then that was probably the choice all along once offered. Nice to hear that our coach is a good recruiter though.

Not trying to argue, just saying it would make no difference to me. There are other way more important factors including what you and minerfan listed

Then IMO acceptance rate has nothing to do with it then. If she thought another school was more prestigious (or if they have her field of study), then that was probably the choice all along once offered. Nice to hear that our coach is a good recruiter though.

Not trying to argue, just saying it would make no difference to me. There are other way more important factors including what you and minerfan listed
So she actually said to me…oh they take everybody that enrolls and laughed.

Reactions: minerfan_14
UTEP Volleyball playing their season finale tomorrow against NMSU. Strange schedule since both teams have already finished conference tournaments.

So she actually said to me…oh they take everybody that enrolls and laughed.
That comment is a reflection of the her as a student, not the university athletics.

WKU beat Tulane in basketball. Acceptance rate to WKU is 98%, but WKU coach is probably a better recruiter. Just saying...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT