ADVERTISEMENT

Where is The Maniac?

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Intriguing that there has been nothing but silence from MINER MANIAC. No comments, evaluations, opinions etc., since last week's excitement. You are usually quick to pronounce your thoughts on results of meaning events; pro or con or neutral.
If you did express sentiments; I missed it.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Hey 1liner, I've just been busy. Here are some miscellaneous thoughts on the events of last week:

- Unfortunately, I was unable to go to either game last week due to the fact that I was in Dallas for my brother-in-law's wedding. I was at the reception during the Marshall game, and thought that it would be bad form to listen to the game on the Tune-In app during that time. I checked the score with a minute or two left, and ended up clandestinely listening to the end of the game.

- My wife and I were out shopping with the newlyweds on Saturday while the Western Kentucky game was on. This time I listened to a good portion of the first half, all of the second half, and the OT. When we went down by 19 I told myself that if the Miners didn't make a move quickly I would close the app. Fortunately they did just that. I was able to keep the fact that I was listening to the game secret (I was listening via Bluetooth) until late in regulation, when I shouted out loud at Moore's "and 1" to tie the game while I was driving to a restaurant. It was obvious during dinner that I was listening to the OT.

- The games were definitely both incredibly exciting, and I am both relieved and ecstatic that we won Saturday's game during the 50th anniversary festivities.

- While I agree with Nolan Richardson's opinion that he would rather win 119-118 than lose 59-58, I would similarly prefer to win 59-58 than lose 119-118. Winning is always exciting. Losing always sucks.

- I think that it's obvious to everyone that this team plays much better at an up-tempo pace. One thing to note, though, is that while increasing the tempo likely means that your opponent will score more due to having more possessions, it does not mean that you don't have to play defense (despite what the guys on the team may think). Truly good up-tempo teams play great defense. If we are to have any chance in the CUSA Tournament we have to keep up this style of play, and play better defensively.

- The excitement of the last couple of games does appear to change a couple of posters' opinions on Coach Floyd. This isn't surprising, as sports fans always overreact to the last game they saw. But it apparently didn't sway most voters here. Those in favor of keeping Floyd still obviously support him, while those who have him on a short leash continue to do so. This is appropriate in my opinion.

- I really would like this team to make two breakthroughs before season's end: beat a quality team at home, and beat anybody on the road. Hopefully we can do the latter twice this week.

- I never give up on player during their freshman year, but I was hopping to see something more from Jones and Thomas right now. Of the two, Jones seems to be getting more time lately, and does appear to be a better shot blocker. Thomas, however, seems better at everything else. Neither has shown me anything that makes me excited about them next year, however.

- Where has this Morris been all season?

- Like him or hate him, booing Barbee was tacky.

I've got to go. Here's to hoping that we finally break through on the road this weekend. And do it twice.

Hey 1liner, I've just been busy. Here are some miscellaneous thoughts on the events of last week:

- Unfortunately, I was unable to go to either game last week due to the fact that I was in Dallas for my brother-in-law's wedding. I was at the reception during the Marshall game, and thought that it would be bad form to listen to the game on the Tune-In app during that time. I checked the score with a minute or two left, and ended up clandestinely listening to the end of the game.

- My wife and I were out shopping with the newlyweds on Saturday while the Western Kentucky game was on. This time I listened to a good portion of the first half, all of the second half, and the OT. When we went down by 19 I told myself that if the Miners didn't make a move quickly I would close the app. Fortunately they did just that. I was able to keep the fact that I was listening to the game secret (I was listening via Bluetooth) until late in regulation, when I shouted outhad at Moore's "and 1" to tie the game while I was driving to a restaurant. It was obvious during dinner that I was listening to the OT.

- The games were definitely both incredibly exciting, and I am both relieved and ecstatic that we won Saturday's game during the 50th anniversary festivities.

- While I agree with Nolan Richardson's opinion that he would rather win 119-118 than lose 59-58, I would similarly prefer to win 59-58 than lose 119-118. Winning is always exciting. Losing always sucks.

- I think that it's obvious to everyone that this team plays much better at an up-tempo pace. One thing to note, though, is that while increasing the tempo likely means that your opponent will score more due to having more possessions, it does not mean that you don't have to play defense (despite what the guys on the team may think). Truly good up-tempo teams play great defense. If we are to have any chance in the CUSA Tournament we have to keep up this style of play, and play better defensively.

- The excitement of the last couple of games does appear to change a couple of posters' opinions on Coach Floyd. This isn't surprising, as sports fans always overreact to the last game they saw. But it apparently didn't sway most voters here. Those in favor of keeping Floyd still obviously support him, while those who have him on a short leash continue to do so. This is appropriate in my opinion.

- I really would like this team to make two breakthroughs before season's end: beat a quality team at home, and beat anybody on the road. Hopefully we can do the latter twice this week.

- I never give up on player during their freshman year, but I was hopping to see something more from Jones and Thomas right now. Of the two, Jones seems to be getting more time lately, and does appear to be a better shot blocker. Thomas, however, seems better at everything else. Neither has shown me anything that makes me excited about them next year, however.

I've got to go. Here's to hoping that we finally break through on the road this weekend. And do it twice.
I'm impressed with your synopsis Maniac. I Agree with every point you made. Maybe with luck someone might show a replay so you see and feel the electricity in building . Both games rank among the most exciting and unbelievable in our recent history. Interesting that you were in Dallas while I was in EP. We just switched. Glad I wasn't in Dallas.
Floyd said they have been experimenting. Maybe they have it figured out. The talent is there....just have to use it properly.

- My wife and I were out shopping with the newlyweds on Saturday while the Western Kentucky game was on. This time I listened to a good portion of the first half, all of the second half, and the OT. When we went down by 19 I told myself that if the Miners didn't make a move quickly I would close the app. Fortunately they did just that. I was able to keep the fact that I was listening to the game secret (I was listening via Bluetooth) until late in regulation, when I shouted out loud at Moore's "and 1" to tie the game while I was driving to a restaurant. It was obvious during dinner that I was listening to the OT.

Where do you stand re: Floyd?

Too long, me personally don't read after 1 paragraph. Just a clown.

You would have thought that being able to use a computer, you would have more experience, your lips wouldn't get so tired and you could read more than one paragraph...

Thanks for your thoughts Maniac, I too thought it was tacky to boo Barbee. I didn't like the man, but that was bush league.

I noticed that Doc and Billy got applauded. When Barbee was booed, I laughed. (I didn't boo) Maybe the fans were telling Stull something. Billy probably burned us the deepest, yet we still love him.

Bush league? Tacky? Nah...it's not like he was here in person. Is it any different to boo the opposing team before we even start play? Those kids are actually here in person and we boo them....

Where do you stand re: Floyd?

Before the season began I warned everyone that this would be a rebuilding year, and decided that I would give Floyd until the end of next year to win a CUSA championship and/or earn an NCAA Tournament bid. In part I based this on the fact that while I didn't have high hopes for this year, I thought Floyd had set up next year quite nicely. We will have most of our backcourt coming back (Morris and Caldwell being the exceptions), and our young bigs will have a year under their belt. It seemed like next year might really be something to be excited about.

Unfortunately, among our young bigs, only Winn has so far showed any promise. Also, we don't know if Willms will ever recover from his injuries, and, if he does, it's still not a good bet that he will become the dominant player that Floyd promised when he signed him. Unless Jones and Thomas take some huge off season steps, Willms comes back and also improves dramatically this offseason, and we bring in at least one more quality frontcourt player, next year may not be as rosy as I had hoped.

Still, I said before the season that I was going to give Floyd next year to prove himself before calling for his head. I'm sticking to that.

I noticed that Doc and Billy got applauded. When Barbee was booed, I laughed. (I didn't boo) Maybe the fans were telling Stull something. Billy probably burned us the deepest, yet we still love him.

Bush league? Tacky? Nah...it's not like he was here in person. Is it any different to boo the opposing team before we even start play? Those kids are actually here in person and we boo them....

He was a former coach who was honoring the 1966 team. The fact that he was a black coach actually makes his perspective uniquely interesting. He should have been heard.

I understand that he wasn't well liked. While the three former Haskins successors also were looking at UTEP as a "stepping stone", he appeared to be the most obvious about it. He didn't talk up UTEP tradition like the other three; he didn't actively seek Haskins' counsel like the other three, who not only were smart enough to do so, but did so publically (brilliant PR); and he didn't profess his love for the school, job, and community like the other three. But while his PR skills were certainly poor, he did his job well, building a fantastic team by his fourth year here. I thought that winning was more important than being a brilliant PR guy.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you: the booing was extremely tacky.

I didn't care for BarBEE, either, but booing him showed a distinct lack of class. However, he didn't hide the fact that he didn't like El Paso which also showed a lack of class. He built a winning team but he did it for himself, not for UTEP, the fans or the community. All of which, he showed disdain for.

You make good points, Maniac. I still disagree though. Seeing that the majority of fans booed, I would bet they disagree as well.

I would bet they were sending a signal to Stull more than Barbee. If he were here in person, I would then agree it was tacky. I bet he had no clue he was booed, nor would he care....just sayin...

I met him once. He was courteous. Not friendly. Courteous. His wife on the other hand was a snooty witch.

Whateva....I didn't boo so......for the record, my wife agrees with you. LOL

Reactions: miner1liner
You make good points, Maniac. I still disagree though. Seeing that the majority of fans booed, I would bet they disagree as well.

I would bet they were sending a signal to Stull more than Barbee. If he were here in person, I would then agree it was tacky. I bet he had no clue he was booed, nor would he care....just sayin...

I met him once. He was courteous. Not friendly. Courteous. His wife on the other hand was a snooty witch.

Whateva....I didn't boo so......for the record, my wife agrees with you. LOL

What signal were they sending to Stull by booing Barbee?

I didn't care for BarBEE, either, but booing him showed a distinct lack of class. However, he didn't hide the fact that he didn't like El Paso which also showed a lack of class. He built a winning team but he did it for himself, not for UTEP, the fans or the community. All of which, he showed disdain for.
Right on Imaminer

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT