ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the miner fan at the game doing the weird scream?

So are many other fans, but oh well. He's graduating soon
Gibbi drove us nuts on here and would call in on Kap's show, too. He'd fly the Texas Miner flag on the 50 during homes games.

Admit it, we miss Gibbi!

Scream, scream, scream. Miner players have endured horrid name calling and other stuff over the decades at opponent arena's, what the heck is a scream going to do?

I won't dox him by giving his name, but he's actually a really good guy. Very talented trumpet player too.

I'm glad to hear enthusiasm at games. Most fans call security to make the people in front of them sit down. Many don't participate in SFD.

Look Up the lyrics to "Jump Around" and you'll see why UTEP should be happy the focus is on him rather than the song.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerFan79
That was always a great tradition towards the end of the game. Unfortunately in today's woke society we live in now, I'm sure it'll be offensive to some.
All the more reason to bring it back. BRING BACK THE AMEN CHANT!

Perhaps that guy could bring back the amen chant?
It's long gone. The chant was dead by 1991 when I was first a student so I'd imagine many of the parents of current students have no clue what that chant was.

True conversation once while that student screamed:

"Can you go tell him to shut up?"

-"why?"

"He's being loud and annoying"

-"at a basketball game?"

Last edited:
It's long gone. The chant was dead by 1991 when I was first a student so I'd imagine many of the parents of current students have no clue what that chant was.

-"why?"

-"at a basketball game?"

Sounds like my wife last month at Kansas game. She was like, "Be quiet and sit down!" I said, "We're at a basketball game!!" Probably would have been different if we had been there to support KU. 😆🤷‍♂️

-"why?"

-"at a basketball game?"
Its just an old church hymn. If the band were to play it im sure the fans would join in.

Its just an old church hymn. If the band were to play it im sure the fans would join in.
First you'd have to tell the band what it was at games. The current director is in his 30s and the oldest members of pep band are 20-something and most likely none of them know it was a thing over 30 years ago

Reactions: MinerFan79
It would be awesome if the students/band/cheerleaders/dance team could print up instructions to pass out at each game on our "traditions". For example SFD at the beginning of each half. Doing the "picks up" for free throws. etc.... Most fans are totally clueless.

It would be awesome if the students/band/cheerleaders/dance team could print up instructions to pass out at each game on our "traditions". For example SFD at the beginning of each half. Doing the "picks up" for free throws. etc.... Most fans are totally clueless.
That's a good idea but nowadays it would be easier and cheaper to laminate a bar code that people scan with their phones and have all that information accessible from their phone.

That's a good idea but nowadays it would be easier and cheaper to laminate a bar code that people scan with their phones and have all that information accessible from their phone.
Yeah, but knowing our fan base, who would use it? Besides, the digital tickets are a total pain in the a**. Thank God we don't have 8000 going to the games because they wouldn't be able to get in before halftime. (between parking and entering the Don)

For that matter, why didn't they put our paper rosters this year? (I actually know the answer, to save costs) We had such a huge turnover that it was hard to figure out who was who. I'm stuck searching on my phone and sharing with those around me, while missing parts of the game. Crazy.

Reactions: anon_yegnbe5pin2so
Covid is another reason. Same way restaurants rarely hand out menus now. Everything went virtual and now with the cost cutting it'll probably stay that way in many places.

What's sad is that the SFD tradition goes back to at least the early 80s when I would go to games with my uncle. Today if there's a timeout early in the game half the people won't stand up again after it's over or get mad at people standing on front of them (that actually has happened since at least 1994).

I see more fans sitting with their nose in their phone than getting excited for the game.

Last edited:
What's sad is that the SFD tradition goes back to at least the early 80s when I would go to games with my uncle. Today if there's a timeout early in the game half the people won't stand up again after it's over or get mad at people standing on front of them (that actually has happened since at least 1994).

I see more fans sitting with their nose in their phone than getting excited for the game.
To be fair back then there was something worth cheering for and was much more exciting

Reactions: Cube Jack
The screaming dude is pretty weird and annoying (and I like to yell sometimes at the games too), but whatever. We will survive.
That's the thing. It's a dude yelling during an athletic event. Okay... for some reason there are fans more worked up and angry over that than on the game on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT