ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we always have to stay "in-house"

TenaciousD

Rookie
Jun 28, 2001
El Paso, TX
Ugh, start fresh. Stull always said he wanted coaches who understood UTEP and either coached in the Sun Bowl or DHC. I don't get that?

Does he want coaches who win or like to eat at H&H Carwash? Jeez, get an AD who focuses on improving sports, not reliving connections to a national championship over 50 years ago. That's like A&M only interviewing RC Slocum's assistants or Texas looking for Darrell Royal's former staff. How did that work out for Carolina Basketball hiring Matt Doherty just to stay in the family, yes they are lucky Roy wanted a switch from Lawrence, but they are 50%.

Get an AD with a new outlook, who will hire coaches who drive to win. Nothing else.

I couldn't agree more, TD. I've always wondered the same thing. I don't care about ties to UTEP, just hire the best person for the job. With Stull helping to pick out his successor, however, I expect that we will wind up with someone that worked for him.

Agreed. If it's someone that already has ties to UTEP, chances are they've been bitten by the losing-culture-bug. I hear that's a bite that causes necrosis of the soul and takes forever to heal.

Agreed. If it's someone that already has ties to UTEP, chances are they've been bitten by the losing-culture-bug. I hear that's a bite that causes necrosis of the soul and takes forever to heal.
I hate to say it, but I think the necrosis has already set in at the very top; at least when it comes to athletics.

At this level and at Stull's place in the college AD/football hierarchy it is all about legacy. That why it's "in house". Stull wants to leave a legacy behind even if it is burned down at UTEP.

Thousands are ready to pack Stull's luggage and put a pina colada in his right hand and say goodbye but this legacy shit attracts money and influence. The fact is Stull is well respected and well liked in the athletic college world and is well known and his football coaching tree is admired by many as well. He is no Tom Osborne but Stull is not far down the list.

Stull set Kugler for the rest of his football career. He. Is. Set. Kug failed here but his FBS career coaching resume now says "Rebuild deconstructed and non graduating football programs" and to many that is a big freaking deal. On the NFL side, the Stull's name carries weight or as they say in D.C., it has political capital. Kug worked under Stull and was HC of FBS program and that carries just as much.

The UTEP boosters eat this shit up. I personally can give a rats arse but hey, whatever tickles their pickle.

I think our previous MBB coach Tony Barbee is a good example of a hire that was unrelated to UTEP. He has proven to be a top recruiter. What we need is someone like him for football. A big time assistant from a big time program that can bring better players and better schemes. Once we build momemtum, the AD has to know when to apply pressure and make changes if the process goes stagnant, or make the next step hire when the coach leaves. This keeps the momentum going.

I think our previous MBB coach Tony Barbee is a good example of a hire that was unrelated to UTEP. He has proven to be a top recruiter. What we need is someone like him for football. A big time assistant from a big time program that can bring better players and better schemes. Once we build momemtum, the AD has to know when to apply pressure and make changes if the process goes stagnant, or make the next step hire when the coach leaves. This keeps the momentum going.

His outsider status hurt him. The fans never liked him. He was the most unfairly criticized coach I've ever seen. Everything he did was criticized. He inherited a completely bare cupboard. In four years he built the most talented utep team in decades. Three of his starters in 2010 went on to play in the NBA. He bought hundreds of tickets for games in Las cruces and couldn't give them away. He was criticized for wearing nice suits. Im convinced if the fans would've embraced him he would have stayed one more year. That 2011 team would have made a run in the ncaa tourney with Barbee at the helm. Instead Floyd screwed up that like everything else. It was embarrassing and disgraceful how the fans booed barbee during his video for the 50th anniversary. Now instead of winning we are stuck with Tim Floyd who is not only a terrible coach but a morally bankrupt human being. We are an irrelevant low major. Basketball is actually, because of the restrurting and consolidation of power schools in a few conferences, just a tough and probably tougher rebuild than football. Moral of the story we need and outsider but our low iq fans probably won't support it.

Last edited:
Don't agree about Barbee. El Paso didn't take to him cause he didn't seem to care about the 915. Could have just been his personality. I do agree about his ability to recruit and coach.

Reactions: axingfools1
I never saw what people hated about him. I liked him, and he took The Miners to Memphis and won on their floor, he beat Oklahoma too.

I know some older boosters who thought Barbee was aloof. I never understood it. His product was exciting, and that's what matters.

Reactions: axingfools1
Barbee won a conference championship, he made the NCAA Tournament, he graduated his players(almost all of those Memphis kids left with degrees, even the one's who turned pro like Culpepper and Stone), and he ran a clean program that had no type of NCAA issues. Honestly, I would take that type of production from every UTEP Basketball Coach.
I met Barbee a few times and I can understand why some viewed his personality a little differently. His wife was the more outspoken one about wanting to leave El Paso when she was around certain people. Barbee's big break came when Dickey's connection helped him get Character. Character took our team over the top and Barbee parlayed that into the Auburn job. He came, he had success, and he left. In my opinion, Barbee was a good UTEP head coach and I appreciate his time here.

Last edited:

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! "We have a winner! Tell them what they won Johnny!" I don't think he (or she) necessarily has to be from a big time program. Big winners are in small places. Coach Haskins proved that.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAi3AAAAJGZiOWY5MWQ0LWVhZjMtNDhkYi1iZDM5LTZjYTM1ZWYyY2ZhNw.jpg

Oh, and please pick someone who is not afraid to do a little out reach with the community. Something more than lunch with students at the local high school when starting out. They don't have to be like Mike Price but someone who doesn't look like he wants shove a microphone up a reporters ass and welcomes all to the games.

Barbee won a conference championship, he made the NCAA Tournament, he graduated his players(almost all of those Memphis kids left with degrees, even the one's who turned pro like Culpepper and Stone), and he ran a clean program that left had no type of NCAA issues. Honestly, I would take that type of production from every UTEP Basketball Coach.
And was a hell of a recruiter due to his ties at Memphis and Calipari. RC 3, Stone, Moultrie and Jeremy Williams. He also got Caracter and Eric Moreland to come to UTEP. 4 played in the NBA and the others played at a high level overseas. Also, under Barbee's 4 years, we got our all-time leader scorer and assist leaders. This says a lot for his offensive style. He also gave us one of our best seasons since 1992. He is the last to coach a team at UTEP with single digit losses.

Another thing Barbee did that was cool was he sent his star players to visit schools. Both Stone and Culpepper went to my sons' school and they became huge fans as a result of meeting them.

Another thing Barbee did that was cool was he sent his star players to visit schools. Both Stone and Culpepper went to my sons' school and they became huge fans as a result of meeting them.

You're absolutely right about that. I believe Stone is hosting a basketball camp soon and Culpepper still loves EP. People still love those guys to this day and it has been 6 years since those guys left.

Reactions: unihorn
Maybe the community should write an open letter to Barbee to come back. We could get fat on Calipari's scraps.

Reactions: TrojanMiner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT