ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn't UTEP always play UNM?

Riburn3

Rookie
Oct 11, 2009
This is a pretty old rivalry and I don't understand why a UTEP/UNM game isn't a common fixture in football and basketball every year. I remember when Alford and Floyd got into it in hoops a few years back, but those days are over since Alford left, and both schools will soon have new AD's.

It just seems like an awesome opportunity to gets some more butts in the seats for sporting events that goes to waste, and it's also affordable travel for either school. With attendance down across the board nationwide, this seems like a no brainer.

We have to make room for a money game. NMSU ties up a game every season, one money game, and usually one FCS game. If we played UNM every season then we wouldn't have an available out-of-conference game to play anybody else.

We could give up the FCS game, like this season, and that would make a few vocal posters happy, but UTEP needs the win.

This is a pretty old rivalry and I don't understand why a UTEP/UNM game isn't a common fixture in football and basketball every year. I remember when Alford and Floyd got into it in hoops a few years back, but those days are over since Alford left, and both schools will soon have new AD's.

It just seems like an awesome opportunity to gets some more butts in the seats for sporting events that goes to waste, and it's also affordable travel for either school. With attendance down across the board nationwide, this seems like a no brainer.
why doesn't UTEP play UNM more often? Because the lobozos team plane ran out of coal.

We have to make room for a money game. NMSU ties up a game every season, one money game, and usually one FCS game. If we played UNM every season then we wouldn't have an available out-of-conference game to play anybody else.

We could give up the FCS game, like this season, and that would make a few vocal posters happy, but UTEP needs the win.

Well, we should always have a home and away with them in hoops.

Not sure what benefit the FCS game is. It doesn't draw fans. If you win, great, you were supposed to. Lose (as UTEP has in the past) or even keep it close, and get scrutiny. You also lose money having to pay a low 6 figure amount to the FCS school.

UTEP usually plays 4 OOC games each year so there is more room than you think. If only one body bag game is required, there's still an open game at. Don't schedule Arizona at home and switch it to UNM.

Next season UTEP has UNLV, easily able to replace it with UNM (although if they're as bad as this season might as well be an FCS game).

Let's see how long NMSU can keep up as an independent. If it doesn't work out and they have to drop to FCS then it would be logical to substitute them with UNM.

Let's see how long NMSU can keep up as an independent. If it doesn't work out and they have to drop to FCS then it would be logical to substitute them with UNM.

They're committed to it for at least the next few years. 2018 and 2019 schedule's are already complete and it definitely helps when they have auto games with UTEP and UNM every year, plus several friendly Sun Belt teams that didn't want them out of the conference.

All the current TV deals are set to expire around 2022 or 2023, so expect an epic round of conference realignment around then again. My guess is NMSU lands somewhere then, if somehow they maintain being decent, sooner.

They're committed to it for at least the next few years. 2018 and 2019 schedule's are already complete and it definitely helps when they have auto games with UTEP and UNM every year, plus several friendly Sun Belt teams that didn't want them out of the conference.

All the current TV deals are set to expire around 2022 or 2023, so expect an epic round of conference realignment around then again. My guess is NMSU lands somewhere then, if somehow they maintain being decent, sooner.
I think we will start seeing the Group of 5 conferences contracting towards 10 team leagues. Imo I see a bleak scenario where NMSU lands somewhere.

Maybe if the Big 12 blows up by Texas, OU, and two of their buddies deciding to leave that could open the door for the Big 12 to raid the AAC. Depending on how many leave, the AAC might decide to expand with Army and one or two CUSA teams. Or if the AAC decides someone in the Sun Belt is more attractive that could open up a slot for NMSU. CUSA would have to lose at least five members before adding anyone.

A lot can happen but the rule change of conference championship deregulation provided a big blow to NMSU.

I think we will start seeing the Group of 5 conferences contracting towards 10 team leagues. Imo I see a bleak scenario where NMSU lands somewhere.

Maybe if the Big 12 blows up by Texas, OU, and two of their buddies deciding to leave that could open the door for the Big 12 to raid the AAC. Depending on how many leave, the AAC might decide to expand with Army and one or two CUSA teams. Or if the AAC decides someone in the Sun Belt is more attractive that could open up a slot for NMSU. CUSA would have to lose at least five members before adding anyone.

A lot can happen but the rule change of conference championship deregulation provided a big blow to NMSU.

Why do you see contraction? When TV deals are negotiated, the larger the TV market share a conference can generate, the more money they get. It really doesn't have too much to do with conference championship games at this point.

Why do you see contraction? When TV deals are negotiated, the larger the TV market share a conference can generate, the more money they get. It really doesn't have too much to do with conference championship games at this point.
We can use for example CUSA that larger tv markets don't necessarily translate to more revenue. Once the AAC and MW renegotiate their tv deals we will have a better understanding of the market. The main reason why I say contraction is due to the playoff money revenue. The G5s will be capped at 10 million per conference. So that would equal one million per member. Any extra members and you're cutting the pie in extra unnecessary slices.

I'd actually love to see NMSU in the same conference as UTEP one day. That would keep the schools playing one another in every sport while opening up a non-conference game at the same time.

I'd actually love to see NMSU in the same conference as UTEP one day. That would keep the schools playing one another in every sport while opening up a non-conference game at the same time.

And add an easy road trip for both fan bases.

Reactions: Cube Jack

Yeah, in a perfect world all 3 schools would be in the same conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT