ADVERTISEMENT

Will Roy Robertson Harris get drafted ?

I like Roy. I like his parents, but I don't see him getting drafted. He'll probably be a free agent invite. I don't think his numbers make him viable unless someone thinks he's a good prospect. However, I reserve the right to say, if he does it won't be until a very late sixth or 7th round. Sadly, he's the one guy on that defense that had a lot of potential, but, well things just didn't turn out that way. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: LaserCoog
I would say 6th round tops. He's been meeting and working out with teams recently so at best I'm thinking there may be a team that will draft him just so they don't have to worry about any competition if he's an UFA.

I like Roy...

Sadly, he's the one guy on that defense that had a lot of potential, but, well things just didn't turn out that way. I hope I'm wrong.

Apparently Roy likes Roy, too... :)

You could make the case that Robertson was Exhibit A for why Stoker was released - after three years, the kid just never really developed or fully met expectations. Some say he wasn't even the best UTEP DE on the field last year. Numbers just weren't there, although stats don't always tell the tale - a kid could sometimes be the best player on a bad defense. That wasn't Robertson. Late bloomer? Wasn't a full-time starter until his 4th year.

NFL? Who knows, nobody wishes anybody anything but the best. An NFL rookie MUST play special teams, not sure Robertson meets that mold or played any special teams in college. Beyond that, word is he's a tweener, not big/strong/tough enough for a 3 down NFL DE, not enough quick/speed/technique to be a specialty rusher off the edge, and at 6'7" not gonna play LB at the next level unless he changes his name to Stork.

Supposedly Robertson was always the kid who people said "this is the year he does it". UTEP fans can draw their own conclusions on that. Depending on how hard Kugler pimps him, wouldn't be shocked at anything - late round, UFA deal, or nothing. I WOULD be shocked if he drew a Sunday check.

Again, good luck to him and to all young men who are killing themselves for a chance to live their dreams. We'll know shortly...

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
He has too much size and potential to not be drafted, I'm sure he will get drafter 5th-7th and will get in a camp, we'll see if he sticks on a roster though I think is the question.

Roy is definitely a tweener, but he's been an underachieving tweener. Could that have been from scheming? Maybe. Could it have been from assignments? Maybe. If Kug's sells him hard, he might be draftable. Or someone thinks he's a player they can develop, then he's viable. The only question is do you use a draft pick on him or take him as a free agent? Whether or not he makes the roster is the question you ask after the draft.

He has to sell himself to teams looking for a long, athletic body on the line of scrimmage. It's all on him. UFA, imo.

Roy is definitely a tweener, but he's been an underachieving tweener. Could that have been from scheming? Maybe. Could it have been from assignments? Maybe.

Could it have been that he just didn't meet expectations, that he didn't dominate in a mediocre conference, much less against P5 competition? Maybe.

It's no secret that the DC prior to Stoker built UTEP's front seven on speed, movement, and deceptive schemes. Unless you're a cornerback or a safety, not sure why any player with NFL aspirations would consider playing in a 4-2-5, much less for an abusive coach like Stoker. All that said, regardless of scheme, if you're a next level guy, at some point you still gotta beat the guy's ass who lines up in front of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Could it have been that he just didn't meet expectations, that he didn't dominate in a mediocre conference, much less against P5 competition? Maybe.

It's no secret that the DC prior to Stoker built UTEP's front seven on speed, movement, and deceptive schemes. Unless you're a cornerback or a safety, not sure why any player with NFL aspirations would consider playing in a 4-2-5, much less for an abusive coach like Stoker. All that said, regardless of scheme, if you're a next level guy, at some point you still gotta beat the guy's ass who lines up in front of you.
Never heard that about Stoker. Tell me more if you would please.

I agree with most of the posters on here. He and Lang were given the Wonderlic test by some teams, which means there is definitely hard interest in the player. NFL teams love his size and length but some teams are concerned that he tends to disappear on some down plays which has dropped his stock. Also, this draft is loaded big time with quality DE's and many other defensive lineman. The pick'ens are excellent for defensive coordinators and this doesn't bode well for Roy. He will go in as a UFA and definitely make it as a practice squad member. He has to develop and hopefully move up in a couple years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT