ADVERTISEMENT

Will UTEP Football Finish .500 or Better?

Will UTEP end the 2020 regular season at .500 or better?

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
A simple question. I think they can go 2-1 down the stretch to finish at 5-5. Which is exactly what I predicted before the season started. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I’m thankful for the few people left in my life and good health.

I think if they win one more game they’ll go to a bowl. At 4-6 the NM bowl in Frisco might be interested.

If they manage to finish .500, do you think they'll play in a bowl game?
"The NCAA Division I Council waived all win requirements for bowl eligibility on Wednesday as expected, leaving teams free to play in a bowl game regardless of their record. The decision accepts the recommendation of the Division I Football Oversight Committee.

Given the disparate and reduced number of games being played by the various Division I conferences, it was highly unlikely that enough teams would reach the usual six-win plateau to fill the 78 available bowl slots this year.

The ruling allows all 127 teams currently participating in the Bowl Subdivision to be eligible for the postseason"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-bowl-win-eligibility-requirement/3656916001/

"The NCAA Division I Council waived all win requirements for bowl eligibility on Wednesday as expected, leaving teams free to play in a bowl game regardless of their record. The decision accepts the recommendation of the Division I Football Oversight Committee.

Given the disparate and reduced number of games being played by the various Division I conferences, it was highly unlikely that enough teams would reach the usual six-win plateau to fill the 78 available bowl slots this year.

The ruling allows all 127 teams currently participating in the Bowl Subdivision to be eligible for the postseason"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-bowl-win-eligibility-requirement/3656916001/
I'm aware, but my question is, would any bowl take a .500 UTEP team? Especially when they're allowed to take below .500 P5 teams?

I'm aware, but my question is, would any bowl take a .500 UTEP team? Especially when they're allowed to take below .500 P5 teams?
Good point: what is going to drive selection beside wins, travel fans is likely out, so it comes down to TV presence and name. In these two categories UTEP is at a disadvantage, we don't have a tv presence and we certainly not a name program. The one factor in our favor is bring a fair number of fans to a game (for our peer group) but this is likely not going to be a factor if attendance is limited. I'd say we get passed over by more "name" teams.

Reactions: Rocketsr
A simple question. I think they can go 2-1 down the stretch to finish at 5-5. Which is exactly what I predicted before the season started. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I’m thankful for the few people left in my life and good health.

There is very little chance they win another game. The only way they're going to win another game is if they change up the play calling completely. They cannot score enough points to win a game with the defense they have. Honestly, the only aspect of football that they are remotely good at is special teams. They're passing game is terrible, the run game is terrible, the blocking is terrible, the pass rush is terrible, the tackling is terrible and the secondary play is terrible.

Hopefully, next year they won't have to contend with all the covid mess. I don't know if that is the reason why the practices are basically walk-throughs everyday or not, but I hope that is the reason. No team can be expected to perform with practices like that.

No way they win another game with the team running Dimels horrendous offense
Well, I think these are the three most winnable conference games. I'm willing to bet UTEP takes at least one of them. If UTEP can't even win one, then any progress we thought we saw earlier in the season was just a mirage.

Reactions: JCorona

I doubt most power 5 schools will want to play in bowls other than the New Years Six. Schools lose money off bowls like the Sun Bowl everyear. Most years they don't care. This year nobody is going to lose money on bowl trips. Most schools are getting the best benefit of bowl trips this year because of the pandemic extra practices. A school like UTEP who hasn't had to halt operations because of an outbreak is going to get more practices this year than they would have with extra bowl practices in a normal season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT