ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football Best and Worst Position Groups.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Here are my thoughts about what could be UTEP's best and worst position groups entering the upcoming season:

Best:

1.) Defensive Backs: In my opinion, the DB's are the best and deepest group that we have. Our DB's were relatively productive last season, as we ranked 41st against the pass. This season we will return almost the entire group, with 3 quality CB's and 3 potential quality Safeties. Devin Cockrell should be one of the best players on our team, he also is as veteran as it gets, as he will be in his 5th year in our Program and 4th year as a Starter. Michael Lewis is likely going to occupy the other starting Safety spot. Lewis gained starting experience as a True Freshman, now he returns after a season away. He was one of the top performers in the Spring Game and looked very sharp. The possible 3rd Safety could be Kahani Smith, an unproven JC transfer who the Staff has been really high on. The CB's return two 3 year Starters in Beverly and Needham. Justin Rodgers also brings experience, as he started multiple games at CB last year as a Freshman. The zone defense that we now run really appears to work well with Needham and Rogers skill sets.

2.) Offensive Line: I think that our interior O-Line(Hernandez, Gatewood, and Elmendorff) is honestly above average quality. You also have the Senior Stallings sitting as a capable back-up to all 3. We return a ton of Starting Experience and production at our Center and Guard positions. The question becomes the Tackles. I do think that Greg Long has a bright future(he started at Right Tackle in the Spring Game) and Kugler thinks that Brooks(Starting Left Tackle) is an NFL type of talent. Brooks and Long both got some experience Starting at Tackle last year, yet both also eventually lost their starting roles through the course of the season. Our overall pass protection has looked slow at times and Brooks especially has had his past troubles with speed on the edge. Brooks will now become an upperclassman and will have to handle the LT spot, while Long will have to grow up as a Sophmore. We should have good potential in the run game, but I have questions about the security of our O-line pass protection. Overall, all 5 starters have starting experience which is why I rank them #2.

3.) Linebackers: This is a bit of a stretch and this ranking largely relies on Van Hook both being eligible(after being ordered to sit out Spring Ball to focus on grades)and taking a big step forward as a Sophomore. Jones and Lovilette are both returning Seniors Starters with experience and production. This duo should give us a strong base inside and they are the main reason why this group is ranked as a strength. Van Hook is extremely athletic and gained some starting experience as a Freshman. His continued development at one of the outside spots will determine how strong this overall group becomes. Taking the assumption that Van Hook can build on his decent Freshman year, then we could possibly have quality at 3/4 of our LB spots. We will still need to have someone else step up, Parsee and the JC transfer Griffen appear to be the two most ready to help. Then there is also Julian Jackson, the Senior Wake Forest transfer to keep an eye on. As a side note about the LB's, it will also be interesting to see the development of Hughes(who was originally a 3 star RB recruit) and to see if Jamar Smith gets eligible and makes it to campus.

Worst:

1.) Kicker: The Kicker position is currently a major question mark, as we had some local walk-on's performing most of these duties in Spring Ball. To my knowledge, we still have not signed a Kicker since Mattox graduated.

2.) Running Back: We lost our #1 RB after last season ended. Then we lost our next #1 RB before Spring Ball ended. Unless a grad transfer arrives, it is a guarantee that our Starting RB next year will be inexperienced. Kevin Dove has shown some potential in limited carries and Awatt handled the majority of RB duties in the Spring Game. As a quick but undersized player, Dawn Jr. could possibly be used in a Howard Jackson type of role. He had some big moments as a Freshman WR but he does not have much D1 RB experience at the moment. The situation is almost perfect for a newcomer like Josh Fields or Dupree(if he gets eligible) to step in as a true freshman and have a chance at a lot of playing time. But regardless, there is hardly any D1 game experience at the moment.

3.) Tight Ends: Our current TE group combined for hardly any D1 receptions last season. The Senior Napier is a quality run blocker, but hasn't been a recieving target during his time here. Weeks(who originally went to BYU) and Lucero(who originally went to Boise State) were both relatively high ranked recruits coming out of high school, but neither played D1 last season. There is also a question towards both regarding how quickly they can become dual TE's, meaning effective blockers and not just recievers.

Reactions: develman
I think a solid O-Line and QB will give a chance to win several ball games. The d is always a question in my mind but if the O keeps them off the field they should be serviceable. I think a confident experienced QB will make a world of difference we haven't really had that in a long time. We'll see.

Here are my thoughts about what could be UTEP's best and worst position groups entering the upcoming season:

Best:

1.) Defensive Backs: In my opinion, the DB's are the best and deepest group that we have. Our DB's were relatively productive last season, as we ranked 41st against the pass. This season we will return almost the entire group, with 3 quality CB's and 3 potential quality Safeties. Devin Cockrell should be one of the best players on our team, he also is as veteran as it gets, as he will be in his 5th year in our Program and 4th year as a Starter. Michael Lewis is likely going to occupy the other starting Safety spot. Lewis gained starting experience as a True Freshman, now he returns after a season away. He was one of the top performers in the Spring Game and looked very sharp. The possible 3rd Safety could be Kahani Smith, an unproven JC transfer who the Staff has been really high on. The CB's return two 3 year Starters in Beverly and Needham. Justin Rodgers also brings experience, as he started multiple games at CB last year as a Freshman. The zone defense that we now run really appears to work well with Needham and Rogers skill sets.

2.) Offensive Line: I think that our interior O-Line(Hernandez, Gatewood, and Elmendorff) is honestly above average quality. You also have the Senior Stallings sitting as a capable back-up to all 3. We return a ton of Starting Experience and production at our Center and Guard positions. The question becomes the Tackles. I do think that Greg Long has a bright future(he started at Right Tackle in the Spring Game) and Kugler thinks that Brooks(Starting Left Tackle) is an NFL type of talent. Brooks and Long both got some experience Starting at Tackle last year, yet both also eventually lost their starting roles through the course of the season. Our overall pass protection has looked slow at times and Brooks especially has had his past troubles with speed on the edge. Brooks will now become an upperclassman and will have to handle the LT spot, while Long will have to grow up as a Sophmore. We should have good potential in the run game, but I have questions about the security of our O-line pass protection. Overall, all 5 starters have starting experience which is why I rank them #2.

3.) Linebackers: This is a bit of a stretch and this ranking largely relies on Van Hook both being eligible(after being ordered to sit out Spring Ball to focus on grades)and taking a big step forward as a Sophomore. Jones and Lovilette are both returning Seniors Starters with experience and production. This duo should give us a strong base inside and they are the main reason why this group is ranked as a strength. Van Hook is extremely athletic and gained some starting experience as a Freshman. His continued development at one of the outside spots will determine how strong this overall group becomes. Taking the assumption that Van Hook can build on his decent Freshman year, then we could possibly have quality at 3/4 of our LB spots. We will still need to have someone else step up, Parsee and the JC transfer Griffen appear to be the two most ready to help. Then there is also Julian Jackson, the Senior Wake Forest transfer to keep an eye on. As a side note about the LB's, it will also be interesting to see the development of Hughes(who was originally a 3 star RB recruit) and to see if Jamar Smith gets eligible and makes it to campus.

Worst:

1.) Kicker: The Kicker position is currently a major question mark, as we had some local walk-on's performing most of these duties in Spring Ball. To my knowledge, we still have not signed a Kicker since Mattox graduated.

2.) Running Back: We lost our #1 RB after last season ended. Then we lost our next #1 RB before Spring Ball ended. Unless a grad transfer arrives, it is a guarantee that our Starting RB next year will be inexperienced. Kevin Dove has shown some potential in limited carries and Awatt handled the majority of RB duties in the Spring Game. As a quick but undersized player, Dawn Jr. could possibly be used in a Howard Jackson type of role. He had some big moments as a Freshman WR but he does not have much D1 RB experience at the moment. The situation is almost perfect for a newcomer like Josh Fields or Dupree(if he gets eligible) to step in as a true freshman and have a chance at a lot of playing time. But regardless, there is hardly any D1 game experience at the moment.

3.) Tight Ends: Our current TE group combined for hardly any D1 receptions last season. The Senior Napier is a quality run blocker, but hasn't been a recieving target during his time here. Weeks(who originally went to BYU) and Lucero(who originally went to Boise State) were both relatively high ranked recruits coming out of high school, but neither played D1 last season. There is also a question towards both regarding how quickly they can become dual TE's, meaning effective blockers and not just recievers.
I would put QB and Wr's as the worst.

I could see the QB as ranking in the bottom 3. Our QB position is likely not in a position yet to be a positive game changer. Thus far we have a game manager in that role, but my personal reason for not listing the QB position as one of the 3 worst is the fact that Metz has starting experience covering multiple years. Metz also improved last season, as he had 13 Touchdowns and only 3 Interceptions over the final 6 games. That is a quality TD-to-Interception Ratio. Last year he also had the second highest single season completion percentage in school history. Metz is also just now becoming an upperclassman, so I would hope that he will take a step forward as he truly becomes a veteran. We have some major well known issues in the passing game and the question is still out there whether Metz can be the person to get the job done, but with Metz's experience and somewhat statistical improvement, he helps that QB position group avoid currently being one of the worst three. At least in my rankings.

As for the WR's you could definitely be right there as well. I think we have enough skill at the slot position with Redix and Juniel. I also think that Sinegal(if eligible)can be a more athletic version of a possession reciever. We don't have a deep threat, a true #1 WR, or the big target that a lot of programs now have. But since we possibly have the Slot and posession receiver covered, I decided to leave the WR ranked somewhere in the middle. But again, we are only ranking against other UTEP skill positions, if we were ranking/comparing our WR unit gainst other CUSA WR units, it would probably look less favorable.

Great analysis. Not sure I can rank the positions, but my question is how are we going to score? With Jones, Wadley, Plinke and likely Sinegal out, how do we get points? With CSKs offense you need a stud at RB, TE, kicker along with speedsters on the edges (not so much possession receivers). As decent as the defense MIGHT be, they aren't going to shutting anybody out. Sadly, AJ going pro will likely cost Kugler his job.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Since we're grouping, how about blondes vs. brunettes:

800full-genevieve-morton.jpg

f10e144c65e6d4f793e8760ef9409bd1.jpg

I'm taking wagers right now. 2017 and 2018 will be sub par seasons.

A new head coach will take UTEP to a 8-9 win season and a (Texas but not Sun Bowl) bowl in 2019 with Kugler players. Kug will agree to a new O line coaching position with the Raiders for almost half a million.

One domestic tall boy per wager/per person

The one spot I'm not worried about is running back. I doubt one guy gets as many yards this year as Jones did, but in the end we will have the same amount of rushing yards this year as we did last year. With regards to running back this is a plug and play offense. The NFL scouts always talk about how complex Item's blocking schemes are. In 2015 we got good production out of the backfield with a fullback, a converted linebacker, and a walk on. In the backfield we will be fine.

At qb I really like what Metz did last year. In the second half of the season he threw 13 tds and 3 ints with 68% completion percentage. That's the best production at qb since Trevor vittatoe. Greenlee played the best ball of his UTEP career in the spring. Torres I don't see it at all. He got a lot of hype after the spring game but I don't see him as the future. I really like Fernandes the incoming freshman. I think he was a steal and the future.

As for Unihorns question. Blondes all day everyday.

Reactions: JCorona
I am not sold on Torres being our next starting QB, but I was pleasantly surprised with how he looked in the Spring Game. He looks comfortable in the pocket and he does a good job of keeping his eyes down field, which some of our other QB's struggle with. It was the first time that I have seen him play and he looked decent.

Fernandes is the future hope for our program. He "might" be somewhat comparable to Stephen Montez, the starting QB at Colorado. Both players are basically the exact same size and they have some similar characteristics on film. In addition to being tall and athletic, Fernandes also had some Ivy League offers which hopefully means that we are getting a smart QB.

Sorry Miner brothers, but every year I get pumped at the spring game on certain players only to find out I am wrong. Let's all remember they are playing against other Miner players. It's easy to look good as we still suck.
Torres doesn't have a chance at a D1 school. He won't ever be our starter. We need a big, strong, fast kid. I told you so about Kavika, and I will say it again here and now. He isn't good enough or big enough.
Too many El paso kids on the roster. I LOVE El Paso, but we do NOT have 5 D1 kids each year.

Kugler doesn't recruit the right way to win. The kids are VERY smart, but that's not what wins games.

Sorry for being negative nelly....It is what it is....

Sorry Miner brothers, but every year I get pumped at the spring game on certain players only to find out I am wrong. Let's all remember they are playing against other Miner players. It's easy to look good as we still suck.
Torres doesn't have a chance at a D1 school. He won't ever be our starter. We need a big, strong, fast kid. I told you so about Kavika, and I will say it again here and now. He isn't good enough or big enough.
Too many El paso kids on the roster. I LOVE El Paso, but we do NOT have 5 D1 kids each year.

Kugler doesn't recruit the right way to win. The kids are VERY smart, but that's not what wins games.

I bought into last year's hype with mags like Phil Steele saying UTEP would be better and make it to a bowl game. I'm going wait and see and hope they are improved. I hope the Miners have a winning season and Kugler proves all the naysayers wrong. The O-line and QB should be improved this year. The RB's should be good as a committee. The D should be our best since Kugler got here. Will that be enough to make a bowl this year? After last year's huge disappointment compared to the pre-season hype, I'm not counting on it.

If UTEP had a competent AD then this season would either end with a bowl or a new head FB coach.

I bought into last year's hype with mags like Phil Steele saying UTEP would be better and make it to a bowl game. I'm going wait and see and hope they are improved. I hope the Miners have a winning season and Kugler proves all the naysayers wrong. The O-line and QB should be improved this year. The RB's should be good as a committee. The D should be our best since Kugler got here. Will that be enough to make a bowl this year? After last year's huge disappointment compared to the pre-season hype, I'm not counting on it.

If UTEP had a competent AD then this season would either end with a bowl or a new head FB coach.

True true true....but I see what Stull has done this year. Several money games ensuring we have another losing season, but making a profit. Therefore, the bottom line still looks good to Natalicio.

I have always liked the local boy, Metz. I don't think he is anything near a real D1 player, but I still like him. Honestly don't see much behind him. I would hope our large O line is good by now, but...
It seems Kugs is putting all his running game into Josh Fields. This kid was great in high school, but he is small. Sorry if I don't jump on the bandwagon yet.

I know Kugs isn't going anywhere. I just won't get my hopes up anytime soon.

I might be wrong but I don't think we are getting paid for any of the a$$ whoopings we are going to take ooc. They are all part of different h&h series.

Reactions: UTEPDefense

I think the team has a great group of players. If Skip Holtz was HC of the Miners, not a doubt in my mind they would contend for the conference title.

I would have to say WR is definitely one of our weakest units. We lost our top wideout who was average at best and none of the returning players really impressed me last year. And if teams are going to stack the box against against the run they're going to need someone who can win the one on one battles consistently. I am worried if collectively these backs can't keep defenses honest and move the ball, can they in turn rely on these wideouts (and tight ends) to get first downs and keep drives going?

Several money games ensuring we have another losing season, but making a profit. Therefore, the bottom line still looks good to Natalicio.

The Arizona game sure isn't a money game since it's a home game for us. UTEP can still make good money on that game if they put butts in the stands, though. That makes the Rice game the week before especially important. If UTEP wins the Rice game (especially if it's convincing) then a fair amount of people should show up for the Arizona game.

Arizona was bad last year. Are they supposed to be better this year? (Athlon predicted they'll be last.) If not, it would be our best shot at a P5 victory in years. Just let Metz go out there and sling it around. They had a BAD defense last year.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Just let Metz go out there and sling it around. They had a BAD defense last year.

There is some strong merit to this, because Metz has always looked best at UTEP when he is running the two minute drill. That NMSU comeback win a few years ago comes to mind. He also seemed to have some struggles at times running the offense during the Spring Game, but then almosy immediately looked more sharp once they went to the two minutes drill segment.

The Arizona game sure isn't a money game since it's a home game for us. UTEP can still make good money on that game if they put butts in the stands, though. That makes the Rice game the week before especially important. If UTEP wins the Rice game (especially if it's convincing) then a fair amount of people should show up for the Arizona game.

Arizona was bad last year. Are they supposed to be better this year? (Athlon predicted they'll be last.) If not, it would be our best shot at a P5 victory in years. Just let Metz go out there and sling it around. They had a BAD defense last year.
FYI: Season tickets holders that renew for this season will get 2 free tickets to the Rice game.

Lucky to win three games. If they let Metz loose maybe five, but coach K is determined to cram it down everybody's throat. Problem is we don't have the talent to do that. For him being a o-line coach I haven't seen a great deal of improvement on the line.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
While Arizona doesn't appear to be a money game on the surface, it is. It's designed to draw fans into the sun bowl to watch us get slaughtered. I don't care how bad Az was last year, they are still Az.

4 wins tops this year.

How funny my outlook has changed over the years. I used to think "this year is our year" every year. Price screwed that up for me. Now I am more of a "prove it".....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT