ADVERTISEMENT

"Willie Cager...not happy with the movie “Glory Road”". Writing book

I'm sure all those who were there can nit pick the movie to death. It was a Hollywoodized version of events. The biggest thing though is that they condensed almost six years of history into a two hour movie. An awful lot was never filmed much less got past the editing process. I've read several of the books about that season and everyone has their own slant on things. I'll give preference though to David Lattin's Slam Dunk to Glory, since he was there. It'll be interesting to read Willie Cager's take on things, too. Best wishes to him by the way.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I wonder what were his major problems with the movie? Aside from the potential monetary gain, why does he feel the need to tell his side of the story?

I'm sure all those who were there can nit pick the movie to death. It was a Hollywoodized version of events. The biggest thing though is that they condensed almost six years of history into a two hour movie. An awful lot was never filmed much less got past the editing process. I've read several of the books about that season and everyone has their own slant on things. I'll give preference though to David Lattin's Slam Dunk to Glory, since he was there. It'll be interesting to read Willie Cager's take on things, too. Best wishes to him by the way.

I wonder what were his major problems with the movie? Aside from the potential monetary gain, why does he feel the need to tell his side of the story?

My biggest problem with the movie (and it's huge) is Haskins' speech the night before the championship game. He chose his line up based on what he thought was the best chance to beat Kentucky, not to make a statement. That was what was great about Haskins - he was color blind. I like the movie, but I cringe every time that scene comes up.

I've read both Lattin's and Worsley's books. I'll definitely read Cager's as well.

I met Willie a few decades ago at a house superbowl party. Super nice dude. Over the years, it seems he might be struggling financially and attempting to make "easy" money. (just MY perception) He "claimed" he was planning on running for mayor. He now wants to tell HIS side of the story many years after everything else has been out and his limelight has faded.
Sorry Willie. I just won't give into it....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...sterns-1966-ncaa-title-not-realized-at-first/

Seems like Willie Cager has been peddling a potential book for years. From this interview it seems that he wants to speak more about the racial aspect of the game. If this book does get released I would be very interested in reading it because it sound like he will not speak to highly of his former coach.

Wish only the best for our man Willie Cager. I would suggest that in keeping his own counsel, he is getting bad advice. Lots of reasons to write a book. Money is one of them, but only one. It can be fool's gold.

Take it from a graybeard who knows: It is one thing to write a book, it is quite another to sell a book.

(signed,)
General Manager
Dust Devil Publications
UTEP grad ('72 journalism)
Football letterman 1970-71

My biggest problem with the movie (and it's huge) is Haskins' speech the night before the championship game. He chose his line up based on what he thought was the best chance to beat Kentucky, not to make a statement. That was what was great about Haskins - he was color blind. I like the movie, but I cringe every time that scene comes up.

I've read both Lattin's and Worsley's books. I'll definitely read Cager's as well.

I asked Coach Haskins specifically about this and if he made a speech.

He laughed and said "what do you think?"
He definitely did not make that speech.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
I asked Coach Haskins specifically about this and if he made a speech.

He laughed and said "what do you think?"
He definitely did not make that speech.

You have to take the movie with a grain of salt. They have go condense 3-4 years of basketball into 2 hours and spoon feed it to moviegoers. It wasn’t a documentary.

You have to take the movie with a grain of salt. They have go condense 3-4 years of basketball into 2 hours and spoon feed it to moviegoers. It wasn’t a documentary.

I understood the need to condense the timeline. The speech, however, was contradictory to what Don Haskins was thinking at that time. He said countless times that "he was just playing his best players." The speech did not belong in that movie.

I understood the need to condense the timeline. The speech, however, was contradictory to what Don Haskins was thinking at that time. He said countless times that "he was just playing his best players." The speech did not belong in that movie.
I agree Maniac. The whole film was filled with Hollywoodizations. The factual message should not have been tinkered with. Even the actual game was made to look more competitive than it rely was. I think there were many games during the season and in the tournament that were more in the nailbiter category than the Kentucky game.

I met Willie a few decades ago at a house superbowl party. Super nice dude. Over the years, it seems he might be struggling financially and attempting to make "easy" money. (just MY perception) He "claimed" he was planning on running for mayor. He now wants to tell HIS side of the story many years after everything else has been out and his limelight has faded.
Sorry Willie. I just won't give into it....

He did run for mayor. I had no idea he was running until i saw him on the ballot when i went to vote and voted for him (I knew he had zero chance but no way would I vote for the other guys on the ballot).

Such a good man and always patient to talk to everyone at the games. I laughed when he made fun of my limp before a game last season.

I agree Maniac. The whole film was filled with Hollywoodizations. The factual message should not have been tinkered with. Even the actual game was made to look more competitive than it rely was. I think there were many games during the season and in the tournament that were more in the nailbiter category than the Kentucky game.

Creative license always comes into play. I've read interviews with the surviving players and family from TC Williams (Remember the Titans). Much of the story was fabricated as well as names changed and characters who didn't exist in reality.

Same with We Are Marshall . If you really want to see a Hollywood edit watch Friday Night Lights. The story only kept the names and changed a pretty sad and tragic story into some odd attempt at being inspirational

He did run for mayor. I had no idea he was running until i saw him on the ballot when i went to vote and voted for him (I knew he had zero chance but no way would I vote for the other guys on the ballot).

Such a good man and always patient to talk to everyone at the games. I laughed when he made fun of my limp before a game last season.

I actually meant that you really dont run if you dont put any effort into it. I heard him say he was going to run, but never heard anything from him again until I saw his name on the ballot. Just because you somehow get your name on the ballot really doesn't mean you are running, yanno what I mean?

Reactions: Cube Jack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT