ADVERTISEMENT

Women's coach resigns?

This is odd. He had the potential of having his best team next year if he was able to keep the core players. With the portal, that is a big if, but it is still strange he resigned.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
"However, he will not owe UTEP any form of payment as a buyout, because he did not accept another coaching job, according to a UTEP official."

Yeah, probably is going to another job at a school that did not want to pay a buyout for a woman's basketball coach.

Seems to be looking for a new career path... Tired of the coaching rigors...

"This has been a tough decision for me, but I think the time is right for me to move on to the next chapter of my life, spend more time near family, and begin searching for a new career path."

This is odd. He had the potential of having his best team next year if he was able to keep the core players. With the portal, that is a big if, but it is still strange he resigned.

Not strange at all. The money wasn't enough to keep him.

Nobody cares about volleyball. The beach volleyball team is currently 4-13. The volleyball team was 17-13. Not exactly a "home run hire".
17-13 the season after going 24-8 and essentially resurrecting UTEP Volleyball from when he first started. I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt that this past year was down since he had to handle beach volleyball as well for the first time this year.

Wallis is far from a problem right now.

Nobody cares about volleyball. The beach volleyball team is currently 4-13. The volleyball team was 17-13. Not exactly a "home run hire".
To be fair, it is the beach volleyball team's first season ever. I assume they're not very experienced?

Reactions: kickballpro
It’s very obvious that many of you are not watching the volleyball team. Luckily for me, most a my friend’s daughters play volleyball, multiple at the D1 level, so I follow more than most. Some of these comments are pretty comical. One, this is the first season for beach volleyball. So how many programs start their inaugural season in a sport with a winning record, especially when they don’t even get a real home game?? Utep is in the top tier of cusa, with only Rice and WKU that are above them (both are potential top 25 programs every year). Before Wallis, Utep had 5 and 6 win seasons, and the program was probably as bad as our football team was with Kuegler. So yeah…pretty good hire.

It’s very obvious that many of you are not watching the volleyball team. Luckily for me, most a my friend’s daughters play volleyball, multiple at the D1 level, so I follow more than most. Some of these comments are pretty comical. One, this is the first season for beach volleyball. So how many programs start their inaugural season in a sport with a winning record, especially when they don’t even get a real home game?? Utep is in the top tier of cusa, with only Rice and WKU that are above them (both are potential top 25 programs every year). Before Wallis, Utep had 5 and 6 win seasons, and the program was probably as bad as our football team was with Kuegler. So yeah…pretty good hire.
How does UTEP lose to Spring Hill 4-1? Spring Hill is a small Jesuit private school in Alabama. Aren’t the UTEP players D1? How does a D2 school like them beat UTEP, with superior D1 players.

UTEP also lost to Colorado-Mesa on 2 separate occasions. Along with a loss to CUI. How do these D2 schools beat UTEP so easily?

Reactions: EPUTEP
WTF is going on with our athletic program? Seriously.
1. WBB Coach Baker resigns
2. No Spring Football Game (Scrimmage)
3. Women’s Soccer exhibition vs FC Juarez cancelled
4. Softball / Women's Soccer having down seasons.
5. No Track & Field meet at Kidd Field in 3 or 4 years
6. Cell service at the Sun Bowl/DHC is mediocre
7. DHC with Electrical and Heating problems
8. Still stuck in CUSA. 😂

Anything else,? Lol. I guess the positives have been Volleyball, Track & Field, and the current renovations to the tunnel entrance at at the DHC .

Anything else,? Lol. I guess the positives have been Volleyball, Track & Field, and the current renovations to the tunnel entrance at at the DHC .

I dunno but as a fairly decent high school track and cross country runner back in the day I'd welcome the track and field and cross country running teams back into relevance. I mean, 21 national championships should mean something, shouldn't they?

I must have missed all the volleyball threads posted on here. LOL

Nobody cares about volleyball.

We haven’t hosted a Track Meet in years? Didn’t know that. I thought they put in a new Track a couple years ago.

Relocate the Track Team to Coronado HS and use the Kidd Field Land to Build an Indoor Multipurpose Facility/athlete Performance Center.

How many of these issues could be tied to money? On the face of it all, UTEP has been dealing with years of diminishing returns and the crowds this football and basketball season were awful. Those two sports have to help subsidize everything else and if they’re suffering year in and year out I’d imagine that the Athletic Department is suffering as well.

How many of these issues could be tied to money? On the face of it all, UTEP has been dealing with years of diminishing returns and the crowds this football and basketball season were awful. Those two sports have to help subsidize everything else and if they’re suffering year in and year out I’d imagine that the Athletic Department is suffering as well.

How much money does it take to put on the spring game? They might use a little bit more electricity and would have to pay for 10 people or so to work the gates and security. Maybe have 2 concession stands open. Yes, there is a cost in running it, but the real reason they’re not having it, is because nobody is interested. Nobody would go and it would lose money.

Not because they’re “too poor” to hold it. They know there is little interest in the team. That is their own fault though.

I must have missed all the volleyball threads posted on here. LOL

Nobody cares about volleyball.
Right. Nobody pays attention to it. Can’t even get students to go. Nobody here would care if it went away.

We all hope they do well, but it’s unimportant. I doubt 95% of posters here would know how volleyball is scored or what the positions are.

Reactions: EPUTEP
We haven’t hosted a Track Meet in years? Didn’t know that. I thought they put in a new Track a couple years ago.

Relocate the Track Team to Coronado HS and use the Kidd Field Land to Build an Indoor Multipurpose Facility/athlete Performance Center.
Who wants to be seated in that dump for hours? The restrooms underneath the bleachers by the Ross Moore Building are not working either. Kidd Field is not exactly ADA compliant only field level access and the lighting is not good either.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT