ADVERTISEMENT

Best places to eat?

Aug 22, 2022
I’m flying in early Saturday morning, what are some good spots to eat near the stadium or just in general?

Would love to know what y’all think, hopefully we can get a win as well to make this trip worth it.
Thanks!
GMG

Reactions: unihorn
Hey this isn't a place you're gonna go, but I wanted to mention that I found a really good place called Oaxaca Mexican Kitchen on Delta close to Downtown. Like where Delta and Paisano split.

That place was super good. Definitely want to go back and be a regular.

Pr

Pretty cool he has his own restaurant, will probably go to after the game.
Don’t take advice from Fili. He is a troll and doesn’t even live in El Paso (allegedly). Where is your hotel located? What kind of transportation will you have?

AJ’s restaurant is sports bar and is located about a 30 minute drive from the Sun Bowl. I would not plan on going there after the game, as that’s when it’s turned into a “club”.

Don’t take advice from Fili. He is a troll and doesn’t even live in El Paso (allegedly). Where is your hotel located? What kind of transportation will you have?

AJ’s restaurant is sports bar and is located about a 30 minute drive from the Sun Bowl. I would not plan on going there after the game, as that’s when it’s turned into a “club”.
We have a car waiting at the airport, and staying at the Hilton Garden by UTEP.

Seems pretty cool, no matter if it turns into a club at night. If we win, that sounds interesting... hahaha

Reactions: kickballpro
We have a car waiting at the airport, and staying at the Hilton Garden by UTEP.

Seems pretty cool, no matter if it turns into a club at night. If we win, that sounds interesting... hahaha
Dont listen to Ncaanowins he doesn't like anything in El Paso. He has multiple accounts one here and replies to his own posts.

Reactions: BREVO2003

It's not a 30 minute drive with traffic after the game it will take like an hour.

My go to places when I visit EP are El Cometa, Taco Tote, Carnitas Querétaro and Chico's after hours.
Near UTEP and the Sun Bowl, I have to give a recommendation to Toro Burger. They are constantly in the best burger in Texas rankings.
If you're going to AJ's place there also a Toro burger in the same shopping center.

My go to places when I visit EP are El Cometa, Taco Tote, Carnitas Querétaro and Chico's after hours.

If you're going to AJ's place there also a Toro burger in the same shopping center.
That's messed up. Why you suggesting AJs competition ??

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
If you eat at L&J, right across the street (literally, a short walk) is Concordia Cemetery, which has the grave of the famous gunfighter John Wesley Hardin. The man who killed Hardin is also buried there.

It's a really easy thing to go see and it's right there if you go to L&J.

Just an option. You can walk to the stadium from your hotel. You can take the Streetcars to downtown after the game. There are a decent amount of bars and restaurants there. Then take the streetcar or an Uber back to your hotel at the end of the night.
That's a fantastic idea. I think the restored streetcars would be a fun way for a tourist to travel. It's a fun, historic throwback and it serves precisely the area between UTEP and downtown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paso_Streetcar

So, maybe hit L&J (and the cemetery) for lunch on the way from the airport, then use the streetcars to head downtown after the game.

That's a fantastic idea. I think the restored streetcars would be a fun way for a tourist to travel. It's a fun, historic throwback and it serves precisely the area between UTEP and downtown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paso_Streetcar

So, maybe hit L&J (and the cemetery) for lunch on the way from the airport, then use the streetcars to head downtown after the game.
Sounds like a plan.

I also recommend Carlos & Mickeys. They are know for their margaritas. nice atmosphere. It will probably be a 20-minute drive from your location.

Reactions: NTSN06
If you want to stay near the stadium and party before the game try https://crawdaddys-ep.com/ https://cravekitchenandbar.com/ and https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...iews-Corralito_Steak_House-El_Paso_Texas.html

But if you don't mind the short drive I agree with Vegasminer RE L&Js. All will be busy but the food and atmosphere at L&Js will be worth it. https://ljcafe.com/

I also highly recommend https://thehoppymonk.com/elpaso/ Great beer selection and great place to have a cigar.
I second Corralito. You can easily walk to it from your hotel and to the game. It’s a Mexican steakhouse. Arrachera steak is excellent, and so are their salsas. Full bar. Not super expensive.

Reactions: NTSN06
Thanks for the recommendations! Looked up a decent amount of places, should be really good. For sure hitting up bars after the game.

Thanks for the recommendations! Looked up a decent amount of places, should be really good. For sure hitting up bars after the game.
Any Mexican restaurant in El Paso including the very worsed one blows away anything in Dallas. I moved to Dallas from EP in '77. But here's my
Choices
L & J
Kiki's
Avilas
Leo's
Julio's ( either one)
Any place you pick.

Note that everyone is giving you Mexican restaurants. That's because El Paso is the best
place for Mexican; not TexMex . If you want something not Mexican, tell us.

Hope your visit is a good one; even tho UTEP will emerge victorious.
Do you have any recommendations for Mexican food in the Denton, Lewisville,
Flower Mound?

I’ll add a few more restaurants into the mix. Amigo’s (anything on the menu), Lucy’s (Tacos Antonia) and JJ’s (gorditas). Can’t miss with any of them. Salivating just thinking of all of em.

Are Casa Jurado and Forti’s still around?

Any Mexican restaurant in El Paso including the very worsed one blows away anything in Dallas. I moved to Dallas from EP in '77. But here's my
Choices
L & J
Kiki's
Avilas
Leo's
Julio's ( either one)
Any place you pick.

Note that everyone is giving you Mexican restaurants. That's because El Paso is the best

Flower Mound?
L&J, Kiki’s and Avilas are beer and wine only fyi.

I’ll add a few more restaurants into the mix. Amigo’s (anything on the menu), Lucy’s (Tacos Antonia) and JJ’s (gorditas). Can’t miss with any of them. Salivating just thinking of all of em.

Are Casa Jurado and Forti’s still around?
Fortis yes; Casa J no.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Just incase if you were wondering?? Don't go anywhere in Juarez. 👍👍

By the way, what are the in-stadium food options these days?

If the game were one week later, we could recommend St. Anthony's Bazaar.

You guys are throwing too many recommendations out to NT.
Hahaha I love it though. I’ve looked up every restaurant mentioned and will show my people I’m bringing and we will decide! Should be a blast for sure.
And for the comment above mentioning something not Mexican, no thanks! Haha I love everything about it and could eat it every day.

I’ll list some recommendations for any of y’all who might come to DFW Tomorrow.
GMG

Choices
L & J
Kiki's
Avilas
Leo's
Julio's ( either one)
Any place you pick.

Flower Mound?
I would add to that list, Dominguez Mexican Restaurant and Las Palmas.

For the best Gorditas in the area, Little Diner in Canutillo tops them all. I have been craving them! I have yet, to find those kind of Gorditas in the DFW area...

I might have to go try that out next time I am in town. I have not found gorditas that are on par with what I was used to, anywhere north of Matamoros.

I might have to go try that out next time I am in town. I have not found gorditas that are on par with what I was used to, anywhere north of Matamoros.
I can't remember if you're in Austin or San Antonio. Highly recommend Gorditas Doña Tota.

If you are a beer drinker, El Paso has improved its craft beer scene in recent years. Some good spots are:

Dead Beach Brewery
Aurelia's Brewery
Tin Man (Texas beers)
Hoppy Monk (pretty close to UTEP & good food)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT