ADVERTISEMENT

Best places to eat?

If you are a beer drinker, El Paso has improved its craft beer scene in recent years. Some good spots are:

Dead Beach Brewery
Aurelia's Brewery
Tin Man (Texas beers)
Hoppy Monk (pretty close to UTEP & good food)
Dead Beach is awesome— great beer and smoked meats.

Reactions: Prospero915
If you are a beer drinker, El Paso has improved its craft beer scene in recent years. Some good spots are:

Dead Beach Brewery
Aurelia's Brewery
Tin Man (Texas beers)
Hoppy Monk (pretty close to UTEP & good food)
Jaxon's used to brew their own beer, but they closed.

Why did they close, anyway?

Reactions: kickballpro
If you go to L&J’s, have the (appetizer) “Sampler Platter” with their ice cold (tall) Michelob Amber. You’ll thank me later.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Hahaha I love it though. I’ve looked up every restaurant mentioned and will show my people I’m bringing and we will decide! Should be a blast for sure.
And for the comment above mentioning something not Mexican, no thanks! Haha I love everything about it and could eat it every day.

I’ll list some recommendations for any of y’all who might come to DFW Tomorrow.
GMG
FYI Cinci (the bar district a few blocks from UTEP/your hotel) is mostly a college bar district. If you’re looking for something non college bar, I would suggest Hush Hush, Later Later, International, The Regan, Garrison, 1922, Berkeley and a few other places. They’re all downtown and they’re mostly more “mature” bars and less college-y

Reactions: NTSN06
FYI Cinci (the bar district a few blocks from UTEP/your hotel) is mostly a college bar district. If you’re looking for something non college bar, I would suggest Hush Hush, Later Later, International, The Regan, Garrison, 1922, Berkeley and a few other places. They’re all downtown and they’re mostly more “mature” bars and less college-y

Visitors to Cincinnati street should also be forewarned to not expect much. It's 3 or 4 tiny bars that you walk by almost without noticing them.

I will never understand the hype around Cincinnati street being a "bar district" or anything like that.

Visitors to Cincinnati street should also be forewarned to not expect much. It's 3 or 4 tiny bars that you walk by almost without noticing them.

I will never understand the hype around Cincinnati street being a "bar district" or anything like that.
To Cinci’s credit, they’ve managed to expand and it’s now a somewhat legitimate college area with roughly 10 bars on Cinci and another 3-4 within a block radius. Off the top of my head, Boozy (ice cream/dessert bar), Champagne Villain, Faded Barber, Crawdaddys (trashy Cajun dive bar with good Cajun food and relatively cheap drinks), Good Times, Desert Palm, Ditzy Duck (are they still open?), Palomino (excellent liquor selection, good food), Profe (don’t go here), College Dropout, Fool’s Gold (cheap beer and tacos). Then you have places like O2, Chino Chido, and Lost&Found that have more eclectic tastes.

If anything the warning should be to avoid Cinci after 1am with all of the violence. It’s also going to be packed with students who leave at half time

Wait, what?
Yeeeeeaaaaaa. Should get better with Rockin Cigar closing (it was the only bar on Cinci where Ft Bliss banned soldiers from going) but you’ll see a significant police presence after midnight on weekends. A lot of plain clothes police and MPs as well.

My buddy works at the Walgreen's on weekends near there. The Cincy patrons come to Walgreen's first to buy their products and usually their clothing is barely covering what God game them.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Like, one time or multiple times?

I don't live in El Paso, so I'm not always on top of the local news. El Paso prides itself on being one of the safest cities, though, so I hope it's not a trend.
Two off the top of my head.

My buddy works at the Walgreen's on weekends near there. The Cincy patrons come to Walgreen's first to buy their products and usually their clothing is barely covering what God game them.

Hmm, ladies of the night? Or men of the night?

This gringo still doesn't get why native El Pasoans recommend Carlos & Mickey's. Reminds me of pretty mediocre Tex Mex you can find all over the rest of the state.
For the margaritas.

Although you are underselling C&M. Tex mex is Chuys, which is garbage. Atleast C&M has flavor and spice. Best Mexican food in el paso? Definitely not. But it's a good place to drink.

I do however laugh when people recommend Chicos, which is dog food.

This gringo still doesn't get why native El Pasoans recommend Carlos & Mickey's. Reminds me of pretty mediocre Tex Mex you can find all over the rest of the state.

Carlos & Mickey's is serviceable. They food is decent and the prices are affordable. Not the best Mexican around but for the price, well, it's ok.

El Paso's void is a festive Mexican food experience (think the Mi Tierra in San Antonio) - CM tries to fulfill this but falls short. CM has the decor but lacks the experience (give me regular mariachis!!!) and the food is mediocre. I have always thought that transporting the Pink Store in Palomas to downtown El Paso would be a slam dunk. Downtown's hotels are doing well and the guests expect the Mexican food experience in El Paso but there is none to be found. Add that to the local population that wants to go somewhere for special dinners and all of a sudden you have the recipe for success. L&J has good food, but the place is a dump. For an authentic, no frills meal, I put my money on Jacalito everyday of the week - it gives you the food, but the experience that people expect is lacking. The opportunity is lurking.

El Paso's void is a festive Mexican food experience (think the Mi Tierra in San Antonio) - CM tries to fulfill this but falls short. CM has the decor but lacks the experience (give me regular mariachis!!!) and the food is mediocre. I have always thought that transporting the Pink Store in Palomas to downtown El Paso would be a slam dunk. Downtown's hotels are doing well and the guests expect the Mexican food experience in El Paso but there is none to be found. Add that to the local population that wants to go somewhere for special dinners and all of a sudden you have the recipe for success. L&J has good food, but the place is a dump. For an authentic, no frills meal, I put my money on Jacalito everyday of the week - it gives you the food, but the experience that people expect is lacking. The opportunity is lurking.
Would it help if we all put on sombreros, fake mustaches, and yelled aye aye aye when a light skinned person walked in?

Andale is not bad in the evenings.

There are gas stations in west Texas that serve Tamales that I wouldn't even leave in the office fridge for someone to nab and eat.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT