ADVERTISEMENT

Best places to eat?

For the margaritas.

Although you are underselling C&M. Tex mex is Chuys, which is garbage. Atleast C&M has flavor and spice. Best Mexican food in el paso? Definitely not. But it's a good place to drink.

I do however laugh when people recommend Chicos, which is dog food.
I agree with that last statement entirely, but I'm shocked that you didn't get any pushback on it.

As for Chuys, I sometimes go to the one on I-35 in San Antonio. If I still lived in El Paso I would never go to a Chuys, but so far it's the only place that I've seen in this city that has chile in their enchilada sauce. Here green enchiladas are made with tomatillo sauce (sacrilege!) and there are no such things as red enchiladas- enchiladas are topped with "gravy" (WTF) instead.

Would it help if we all put on sombreros, fake mustaches, and yelled aye aye aye when a light skinned person walked in?
Like the seeing sombrero on the Chico’s logo while hearing “numero diz y seis…16”??? Like it or not, ethnic restaurants have played to stereotypes since the beginning of ethnic restaurants. Even in Mexico, I remember walking into Chihuahua Charlies and running into the fat guy with the sombrero and bandolier asking his “amigo” (me) if I wanted a tequila shot. People have unmet expectations when it comes to an El Paso Mexican food experience.

I agree with that last statement entirely, but I'm shocked that you didn't get any pushback on it.

As for Chuys, I sometimes go to the one on I-35 in San Antonio. If I still lived in El Paso I would never go to a Chuys, but so far it's the only place that I've seen in this city that has chile in their enchilada sauce. Here green enchiladas are made with tomatillo sauce (sacrilege!) and there are no such things as red enchiladas- enchiladas are topped with "gravy" (WTF) instead.

Ugh. Mexican food in San Antonio. For the most part, I absolutely hated it. Rosario's is good and a couple of the restaurants in El Mercado. But damn, man, San Antonio has the worst enchiladas, menudo, and tamales I've ever seen. Ever. Anywhere. Absolutely atrocious.

Not that the Dallas area is much better. A stand-out here and there but mostly crappy TexMex. I mean, it says something when La Michoacana -- a food market -- has better food, including menudo and tamales, than 99.9% of the "Mexican" restaurants in the area.

Like the seeing sombrero on the Chico’s logo while hearing “numero diz y seis…16”??? Like it or not, ethnic restaurants have played to stereotypes since the beginning of ethnic restaurants. Even in Mexico, I remember walking into Chihuahua Charlies and running into the fat guy with the sombrero and bandolier asking his “amigo” (me) if I wanted a tequila shot. People have unmet expectations when it comes to an El Paso Mexican food experience.
Hey. You're preaching to the choir. I'm all about perpetuating stereotypes. I LOVE Cracker Barrell. But it's lacking a red neck greeting me out front asking if I'd like some meth. There's an opportunity there.

If you want to stay near the stadium and party before the game try https://crawdaddys-ep.com/ https://cravekitchenandbar.com/ and https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...iews-Corralito_Steak_House-El_Paso_Texas.html

But if you don't mind the short drive I agree with Vegasminer RE L&Js. All will be busy but the food and atmosphere at L&Js will be worth it. https://ljcafe.com/

I also highly recommend https://thehoppymonk.com/elpaso/ Great beer selection and great place to have a cigar.
Got to go with L&J. The best

In the Midwest, they have these really thick pork chops. I've never seen pork chops quite like that in El Paso. (Maybe there's a butcher somewhere in town who can prepare them, but I just haven't seen them.) It's definitely a Midwest thing.

Iowa is especially proud of them. In that state fair video, that old man explains how in Iowa, they're so proud of these extra-thick pork chops that they call them Iowa chops. He says he's from Texas and he never saw these types of pork chops there either.

I plugged J. D. Hoyt's because they have these types of pork chops prepared with Cajun seasoning, and they are spectacular. Sorry, I can't help you for El Paso pork chops, but if you find yourself in the Midwest, there are some good options.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Nice to see this list on here 😆 I hope it’s up to date because I’m coming in on Friday and would like to eat at a place I haven’t been to.

Reactions: jdubb66
Thanks for the recommendations! Looked up a decent amount of places, should be really good. For sure hitting up bars after the game.
Head downtown to the Plaza Hotel, they have the largest tequila selection in North America. I am sure that bar will be fun after the game with all the out-of-town people hanging out. The food at the restaurant in the hotel is very good too.

Also, check out Taco Neta which is near your hotel. Great tacos and margs.

Reactions: unihorn
Head downtown to the Plaza Hotel, they have the largest tequila selection in North America. I am sure that bar will be fun after the game with all the out-of-town people hanging out. The food at the restaurant in the hotel is very good too.

Casa Pantera has great drinks, steaks and vibe — in 5 Points area.

Reactions: bamfor

Is that Ambar? Good drinks if a little pricey. But then, good drinks are pricey everywhere anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT