ADVERTISEMENT

Brodricks Jones

Alright, I’ll give it to you, as I see it, in a nutshell. He was already a coach in CUSA just prior his journey to UTEP. As a result of that, he was able to nab some guys he spent time evaluating while he was an assistant at Memphis. He had a fast track on assembling his initial classes because of that. He had built relationships with those guys, which takes time. They trusted him. Being that Memphis was in our conference, it wasn’t such a huge drop off from Memphis to UTEP. Because Kentucky is in another stratosphere, I doubt Barbee could nab the Wildcat rejects. They’re more likely to end up at Butler, Wichita St, etc. Therefore he is going to have to find other selling points. He’s going to have to use other resources to recruit. I never said he can’t do it. I just think it’ll be more difficult. Nada mas.

12 years ago, I’m sure it went something like this: “Hey Randy, I can’t offer you a schoalrship to Memphis, however, I think you’re a helluva player. Just between us, I’m gonna get the UTEP gig. They’ve got a strong bb tradition. I’ve got a core group of guys that I’ve been recruiting who are in the same boat as you. I think we could put a damn good team together if everyone is on board. You’ve known me for a couple years now. You know I’m a straight shooter. How about we go down to El Paso together and build something special and beat the shit out Memphis?”

OK, I’m not looking for people to agree with me. It’s my question, my take. I’ve beaten this dead horse to it’s 2nd death, so I have no more to say on the subject. Carry on everybody who disagrees.

I don't believe that coming to UTEP from Kentucky would make it any more difficult for him to recruit than it was with him coming from Memphis. As a Kentucky assistant coach he has developed relationships with countless kids. A very few will go to Kentucky; there will be many more that don't. There should be enough of these kids with a close relationship to Barbee who would want to follow him. If Barbee were to return I believe that he would again prove to be a fantastic recruiter.

Of course, all of this discussion is completely academic. We have no idea which way Senter will go with this hire.

I don't believe that coming to UTEP from Kentucky would make it any more difficult for him to recruit than it was with him coming from Memphis. As a Kentucky assistant coach he has developed relationships with countless kids. A very few will go to Kentucky; there will be many more that don't. There should be enough of these kids with a close relationship to Barbee who would want to follow him. If Barbee were to return I believe that he would again prove to be a fantastic recruiter.

Of course, all of this discussion is completely academic. We have no idea which way Senter will go with this hire.
Why do we have all this hype about Barbee coming back? Are there any hints that he's even interested? Why would this be a target for him when it was obvious he didn't want to be here before? There would likely be many other destinations that would suit his lofty goals more. UTEP is not a high profile spot.

Why do we have all this hype about Barbee coming back? Are there any hints that he's even interested? Why would this be a target for him when it was obvious he didn't want to be here before? There would likely be many other destinations that would suit his lofty goals more. UTEP is not a high profile spot.

No hype. Just an animated, lengthy and pointless discussion about whether fans would want him back, and why...or why not.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
In terms of IH, there are multiple statements/theories as to why he didn't honor his NLI:

The Hamilton family version:
Isaac's grandmother was sick, and Isaac wanted to stay close to home to be near her.

The theory advanced by Floyd:
Andy Enfield's staff tampered with Isaac, convincing him that he should stay close to home and play for USC. As Hamilton ended up attending UCLA instead, the rest of the theory goes that Enfield dropped him like a hot potato after Floyd's accusation, fearing an NCAA investigation.

The rumor:
Floyd stopped by the Hamilton household before interviewing for the USC coaching vacancy, selling Isaac and his brother Daniel on the idea of playing close to home. He then went into the interview offering the Hamilton brothers as a package deal if he was hired. When he wasn't selected for the job, he expected Isaac to honor his NLI to UTEP, but the kid was now sold on playing in LA.

This is the first time someone has floated the idea that Floyd ran Hamilton off, similar to the way that he ran off so many other players. The difference is that Hamilton hadn't shown up to campus yet, making this theory absurd. Plus, Hamilton was the jewel in a class that also consisted of the highly regarded Vince Hunter and the talented Andre Spight; Floyd would not do anything to run off Hamilton (unless, of course, the above USC coaching rumor is true).

So which of the above theories is the real reason Hamilton didn't come to UTEP? I doubt that we'll ever know.

Im surprised this crap isn't deleted by the moderator!?

Im surprised this crap isn't deleted by the moderator!?

What should be deleted? The first possibility mentioned is exactly the reason the Hamilton family gave when asking for Isaac to be released from his NLI.

The second possibility of tampering is what Floyd repeatedly claimed, going as far as engaging in an embarrassing verbal confrontation before the Battle for Atlantis tournament:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2013/11/27/andy-enfield-tim-floyd-argument-battle-atlantis

The third possibility is clearly listed as a rumor. A rumor that has appeared several times on this board and on Kyyote's Den, and that I have heard from other sources as well.

I did not endorse any of the possibilities, I simply laid out the three prevailing theories as to why Isaac Hamilton did not honor his NLI. Again, please explain why the moderator should delete that post.

What should be deleted? The first possibility mentioned is exactly the reason the Hamilton family gave when asking for Isaac to be released from his NLI.

The second possibility of tampering is what Floyd repeatedly claimed, going as far as engaging in an embarrassing verbal confrontation before the Battle for Atlantis tournament:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2013/11/27/andy-enfield-tim-floyd-argument-battle-atlantis

The third possibility is clearly listed as a rumor. A rumor that has appeared several times on this board and on Kyyote's Den, and that I have heard from other sources as well.

I did not endorse any of the possibilities, I simply laid out the three prevailing theories as to why Isaac Hamilton did not honor his NLI. Again, please explain why the moderator should delete that post.

It was of public domain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT