ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Joe Golding

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
During those last 11 seconds or so, Don Haskins would not have called a time out. He would have inbounded the ball and attacked the rim for an easy 2 or a hoop plus the foul.

The loss is 100% on Golding, that was a crappy job. Blame the guys for not wanting to play but that falls on you.

1) Does Levesque give you a better chance to win than Jones, c'mon trying to prove a point is one thing but at the expense of a L, please. Yes, the fans deserve better than watching Levesque get thrown around like a rag doll. BTW, Levesque and Jones had almost exact stat lines, but Levesque got more minutes?
2) Ditto for Cole, he deserved time over Terrell? nope.
3) Jones takes a 3 which is halfway down then rims out, then tries another 3 which was ill-advised (probably got a bit cocky); jumps in the air trying to make a pass and turns it over, and commits a foul on a 3 attempt. OK not great, but if that 1st shot goes down, we all know Jones plays 11-13 minutes instead of 3.
4) Hardy was taking shots out of the offense all night (4-15 = 27% = Not good), and was missing wildly off, commits bad reach-ins when he got beat to the rim taking his guy to the line, yet you draw up the last play specifically for Hardy, where he proceeds to turn it over? Yet Jones didn't deserve minutes?? Your explanation doesn't hold water.
5) Agree, Dos Anjos has disappeared and should be getting garbage time at this point.
6) What happened with Hamilton? Was he sick, disciplined? We could have used his 6-8 minutes.

I am ok on trying to draw up a play, but it was a poorly executed play. Whoever was supposed to set the screen missed, so Hardy was blanketed. Again, a double screen or a different play getting Camper or Hardy on the wing would have been better. We went with the high risk play, and that was the result.

Most teams would let a guy drive the lane knowing UTEP needs a 3 and only 11 seconds, if it was a 2 or less point game, then perhaps you let it play on, but i think even Haskins would try and set up a 3, but again, have option 1/2/3.

Looks like Dimel is also in charge of the basketball team’s offense….dysfunctional in every respect.

I bet Golding also meets the same fate. Thoroughly Unimpressed with Golding’s recruiting and coaching to date.
Yep, it's time to start putting pressure on the basketball coaching staff. Goldings seat needs to start getting warm.

Yep, it's time to start putting pressure on the basketball coaching staff. Goldings seat needs to start getting warm.
It will if they have a losing season this year. He has a decent size but out and 2 years left. So the murmuring will start this year, well it already has. Next year is when the seat gets really toasty. I do hope he turns this team around after a promising start.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Remember Golding's effort to gain fan support when he treated everyone to breakfast on his arrival? He may have to do that again if he can't do it by winning.
Fan support will vanish pretty damn quick if the lousy performance continues.

Looks like Dimel is also in charge of the basketball team’s offense….dysfunctional in every respect.

I bet Golding also meets the same fate. Thoroughly Unimpressed with Golding’s recruiting and coaching to date.
I am too. I'm eating crow because I was all in on Golding from the get go. I was dead ass wrong. It is the very reason I have not made one mention of who I'd like as our next FB coach.

Golding was my #1. I still like him but last night was a bad loss. I was at a loss of words watching that debacle.
2 bad losses in a row and another one that we could've won with better coaching and smarter play. The disheartening thing about last night was this team looked lost in key moments where they could've taken the lead or changed the outcome. I like Golding too, but last night's not a game we should lose with this team and LMU shouldn't beat us by 20. This has to get fixed. My only shred of hope, is that it's still super early and it's a marathon not a sprint.

Golding was my #1. I still like him but last night was a bad loss. I was at a loss of words watching that debacle.
Same. It's probably premature for me to be saying I was dead ass wrong about him, but in 2 1/2 recruiting cycles he has failed to bring in ANY shooters beyond decent and most actually suck, our half court offense has seen no improvement from last year to this year, and his recruiting has been absolutely subpar. After watching the offense the last 3 games, I don't see any way in which it gets better. Which leads me to the "I was dead ass wrong about Golding" statement.

I am too. I'm eating crow because I was all in on Golding from the get go. I was dead ass wrong. It is the very reason I have not made one mention of who I'd like as our next FB coach.

My pick was Jans. Don't really know how he's doing wherever he ended up but he was my pick. I suspect he'd be doing way better than -- I'm going to adopt NoWins' moniker now -- Bronzing.

Well, at least he’s not dropping his adidas with dance team.😉 (Look it up if you don’t know)

Someone mentioned recruiting and Golding not doing a good job — I disagree I think he picked up some solid pieces this year with Jones, Terrell — I think we are gonna end up having a hard time hanging on to those guys actually

I think all of us liked the Golding hire. I liked his energy and the fact he coached a team to a huge upset. Well, maybe Golding was just a fluke at ACU. Maybe Brette Tanner is the mastermind.

Someone mentioned recruiting and Golding not doing a good job — I disagree I think he picked up some solid pieces this year with Jones, Terrell — I think we are gonna end up having a hard time hanging on to those guys actually
I do think his recruiting is improving from absolute dog sh#t to atleast mediocre. The issue is, can he coach and develop his recruits?

Reactions: picks up
Well, at least he’s not dropping his adidas with dance team.😉 (Look it up if you don’t know)

Golding after not sleeping for 3 nights.

"I've got it. We are not gonna practice offense or free throws. We are gonna play MORE aggressive on defense! We will disrupt the passing lanes, hedge with our bigs and leave the basket wide open so we can get steals and get into transition and score. Otherwise the other team is gonna play zone and pack the paint since we can't shoot. Oh and any talented freshman on my team that scores efficiently is gonna have to wait because the walk ons are better at stealing the ball! You feel me! This town deserves better! Come on out and support!"

1) Does Levesque give you a better chance to win than Jones, c'mon trying to prove a point is one thing but at the expense of a L, please. Yes, the fans deserve better than watching Levesque get thrown around like a rag doll. BTW, Levesque and Jones had almost exact stat lines, but Levesque got more minutes?

Levesque's mother (Julie) is the Deputy Athletic Director for Administration. I'm not saying that is the reason why he is getting playing time, but that is a big coincidence.

Reactions: EPUTEP
Haskins would NEVER set up a 3 in that situation. He hated them. He would get the easy 2 then play TenaciousD on the inbound. Saw it time and time again. 💯
Speaking of inbound —- that play with like 11 seconds in the game and it went out of bounds — it went out on them and should have been our ball

Is it to early to panic?
Naw. All we gotta do is beat 3 teams in a row. Net rankings of those teams will probably be in the range of top 50, maybe top 70 and another in the top 150. We have all season to work it and figure out how to put it together for 3 days in a row. Easy.

• Haha
Reactions: FedupMiner
I cannot remember a time when a team like Texas A&M Corpus Christy had beaten us at home, I just can't recall it. That is a team we should have defeated by 20 points easily, but based on the current facts I don't see UTEP achieving anything this year, I don't see any post season and Golding has to go at the end of the season. PUNTO!

I cannot remember a time when a team like Texas A&M Corpus Christy had beaten us at home, I just can't recall it. That is a team we should have defeated by 20 points easily, but based on the current facts I don't see UTEP achieving anything this year, I don't see any post season and Golding has to go at the end of the season. PUNTO!
What, you mean a team coming off a ncaa tournament season? We gave big props to UCSB I think CC should have earned the same respect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT