ADVERTISEMENT

Sort of OT:"'Hell with this; we are going to form a new league.' "

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
I found this article from 2011 regarding the creation of 16 team WAC and subsequent break up of the WAC. I did not know that Air Force was actually a bigger player in the breakup; just as much as BYU? They got five schools behind them, cried and said they would take their ball and go home.... "and the rest is history", as they say.

This quote, however, to me speaks volumes, even today:

" "The reality, in Texas, Dallas and most Texas areas are owned by Texas and Texas A&M," Hill says. "And in the (San Francisco) Bay Area are Cal, Stanford and pro sports. So though we added schools in big TV markets, it didn't really influence much the value of our TV contract.""-Tom Brennan, who was athletic director at San Jose State from 1990-97.

When realignment happens, does UTEP wait and see who CUSA invites or just say, "MWC, is this invite casual dress or formal, because we take the offer!"? Can anyone verify now if the MWC still wants UTEP? With both head coaches running our major revenue sports, I don't know if I would choose UTEP.

At that time in '03, UTEP hired a very publicly wronged head coach (who won his legal battle) who was COY, two Rose Bowls, won games and titles in a major conference located in a very rural land grant school that was hard to recruit to, and a coach who ran the Spread Offense before it became a household term. Second, Stull had UTEP looking all spiff, a president dedicated to athletic growth, a NFL sized weight room with all the bells and whistles for coach and assistants (and the best view in El Paso). And third, newcomer Billy "Bellcow" Gillispie came into town and had UTEP "taking names and kicking a#$" and the DHC was packed and loud by his second year. Everyone felt UTEP "had arrived" and left the WAC, like it should have.

Now, Kugler and Floyd have (the casual) fans alienated, unproductive seasons and not since the Lee/Bailey/Nord and Jason Rabadeaux era, has the bar been this low. Now, we're supposed to get excited about a "sure win" against FIU, UNT and Houston Baptist? Basketball has been selected to finish in the bottom half, write-up by recruiting sites of top notch players coming to UTEP which never pan out, attendance getting lower every year, less than desirable scheduling and owned by NMSU the last few years.

Well, there is track.

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_756924.html

Reactions: UTEP05
Funny thing is that Rabadeaux won more postseason games that Floyd. I even forgot that UTEP won 23 games in 00-01.

I found this article from 2011 regarding the creation of 16 team WAC and subsequent break up of the WAC. I did not know that Air Force was actually a bigger player in the breakup; just as much as BYU? They got five schools behind them, cried and said they would take their ball and go home.... "and the rest is history", as they say.

This quote, however, to me speaks volumes, even today:

" "The reality, in Texas, Dallas and most Texas areas are owned by Texas and Texas A&M," Hill says. "And in the (San Francisco) Bay Area are Cal, Stanford and pro sports. So though we added schools in big TV markets, it didn't really influence much the value of our TV contract.""-Tom Brennan, who was athletic director at San Jose State from 1990-97.

When realignment happens, does UTEP wait and see who CUSA invites or just say, "MWC, is this invite casual dress or formal, because we take the offer!"? Can anyone verify now if the MWC still wants UTEP? With both head coaches running our major revenue sports, I don't know if I would choose UTEP.

At that time in '03, UTEP hired a very publicly wronged head coach (who won his legal battle) who was COY, two Rose Bowls, won games and titles in a major conference located in a very rural land grant school that was hard to recruit to, and a coach who ran the Spread Offense before it became a household term. Second, Stull had UTEP looking all spiff, a president dedicated to athletic growth, a NFL sized weight room with all the bells and whistles for coach and assistants (and the best view in El Paso). And third, newcomer Billy "Bellcow" Gillispie came into town and had UTEP "taking names and kicking a#$" and the DHC was packed and loud by his second year. Everyone felt UTEP "had arrived" and left the WAC, like it should have.

Now, Kugler and Floyd have (the casual) fans alienated, unproductive seasons and not since the Lee/Bailey/Nord and Jason Rabadeaux era, has the bar been this low. Now, we're supposed to get excited about a "sure win" against FIU, UNT and Houston Baptist? Basketball has been selected to finish in the bottom half, write-up by recruiting sites of top notch players coming to UTEP which never pan out, attendance getting lower every year, less than desirable scheduling and owned by NMSU the last few years.

Well, there is track.

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_756924.html

I don't think we are relevant at the National level in Track anymore either.

Older article (2011) but accurate, only two schools have had a negative trajectory in all the conference reshuffle. UTEP and Rice. The timeline as I see it
UTEP Original WAC, Expanded WAC, Weak WAC, CUSA, Bottom of the Barrel CUSA
RICE Southwest Conference, Expanded WAC, Weak WAC, CUSA, Bottom of the Barrel CUSA
Consider two other schools we have been affiliated with
TULSA - Independent, Expanded WAC, Weak WAC, CUSA, American Athletic Conference
UTAH- Original WAC, Expanded WAC, MWC, Pac 12

Our fall has been pretty steep and every step we have taken (except for the weak WAC to CUSA) has been a downgrade. Sad thing our fate in most of these circumstances has been decided by others not ourselves. The presidents and ADs who voted to expand to 16 form the original WAC started the chain of events which brought us to where we are now and the bastards who dumped us in the breakup pushed us down the slope.

Reactions: UTEP05
What the UTEP men's track team have done the last five years in NCAA finals:
Cross Country Indoor Track. Outdoor Track
2015- 11th. 2016- 55th. 2016- Did Not Place
2014- 27th. 2015- 36th. 2015- 26th
2013- DNP. 2014- 9th. 2014- 29th
2012- DNP. 2013- 47th. 2013- 25th
2011- DNP. 2012- DNP. 2012- 60th

Last Cross Country title: 1981
Last Indoor title: 1982
Last Outdoor title: 1982
http://www.ustfccca.org/infozone/public-meet-alltime.php?meetno=515947585