ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Yeah me too. The staff brought in Jackson and Taylor with the from Austin Peay. Triche and Dye were also ahead of him.
Triche? Really? Just saw him on the sideline all day during spring game. His size is definitely questionable for D1. Don’t like him being ahead of Franklin.

Reactions: kickballpro
How much do I get paid for that insider information? Nobody on here new about it until I broke the news
You think I’m gonna pay you for old news thats free on X. 🤣 How about you find out why they’re transferring and then we’ll talk about getting paid.

You think I’m gonna pay you for old news thats free on X. 🤣 How about you find out why they’re transferring and then we’ll talk about getting paid.
Mike Franklin is transferring because Walden is bringing other RBs. So Franklin feels left out, and is leaving . Will probably join Nealy at Texas St.

How do you wanna pay me?? Cashapp? PayPal? GoFundMe?

Reactions: JCorona
Anyone concerned that we are losing a bunch of Dana Dimel recruits for a bunch of Austin Peay Transfers?

Would Austin Peay beat UTEP a year ago?

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I know players can enter the transfer portal at any time, but I find it a little concerning with so many players at UTEP entering the portal now. Could these be players who are not projected to be starters and looking for a shot somewhere else? Or this there something else brewing at UTEP?

Reactions: picks up
I know players can enter the transfer portal at any time, but I find it a little concerning with so many players at UTEP entering the portal now. Could these be players who are not projected to be starters and looking for a shot somewhere else? Or this there something else brewing at UTEP?
Most of them had no shot of ever seeing the field

They return 2 starters on offensive line and brought 2 starters with Walden plus a couple of jc transfers. Return 3 starters on d line
Then more depth.

OL- Jake Riggs, Isiah Wright, Brennan Smith, Isaac Hawkins (LS), Otis Pitts, Tyrone McDuffie, Craig Wydra, Luka Matamoros, Allan McCarter, Ivan Escobar, Luis Carlos Aranda, Jaquan Toney, Joseph Immediato, Jael Duran, Rolando Beltran, Jake Utley, Nick Scalise, Azizi Henry, AJ Barton

Defense(assumed 3-3-5)
DL- Devin Goree, Quinn Warren, Joey Lightfoot, Ashton Coker, Tyrone Duhon, Ekow Taylor, Jaylin Jones, Elijah Baldwin, Mo Westmoreland, KD Johnson, Bryton Thompson, Viontay Robinson, Matt Wann, Dresden McIver-Brown, Osaiasi Taueli, Tevita Tafuna, Valentino Diaz, RaQuan Thompson, Logologo Va’a, Sione Tonga’uiha

I don't like the reliance on Austin Peay guys to fill those spots along the OL. I'd prefer they compete with higher caliber players to prove they belong. Plus, we are guaranteed inexperience at QB unless Walden brings in an experienced guy.

And as for the DL, we are moving to a 335 defense, which means the style of DL changes. Do we have a big enough guy that can play NT? Do we have DTs that can plays ends in that scheme? Not too sure.

I think the team is solid everywhere else on offense and defense. OL, DL and QB are questionable.

Anyone concerned that we are losing a bunch of Dana Dimel recruits for a bunch of Austin Peay Transfers?

Would Austin Peay beat UTEP a year ago?

They would be competitive against Utep . Utep had trouble with Sam Houston and Jacksonville St. Austin Peay almost beat Tennessee. Walden is not just bringing in Austin Peay players. He brought players from Florida State,TCU, Tulsa and a bunch of others. I don't think Walden is done recruiting for 2024. With all these players leaving I'm sure he will bring in more transfers.

Along with being high energy, Walden seems to be very demanding on his players and after Spring Ball it could be a case where certain players won’t get playing time or they don’t mesh with the coaching staff and their style. I bet Walden already has offers out to fill the holes in the roster so I’m not too concerned about losing some backups.

Maybe after the spring game these kids realized that they weren't gonna be able to start and compete with the incoming transfers. It's seeming like the kids leaving are all hold overs who were mostly bench players.

This is
Maybe after the spring game these kids realized that they weren't gonna be able to start and compete with the incoming transfers. It's seeming like the kids leaving are all hold overs who were mostly bench players.
This is way too many players at the same time for this not to be planned.

Reactions: nattybry
This is a cursory look at recruiting and transfers at UTEPs football team. With a couple of players getting initial contracts with the NFL, it seems that the Miners had some talent on the team that Coach Dimel couldn't seem to take advantage of. But now, with several of Dimel's remaining players transferring out with the influx of new recruits on the team, I wonder if there was a noticeable drop off in talent on the team. It could be that Dimel had a first-string team that was good but dropped off badly if the second team got on the field. I remember that Mike Price had the same problem. And it looks like Coach Walden has a better grade of athletes coming in compared to what was here. Is that how you see it?

This is a cursory look at recruiting and transfers at UTEPs football team. With a couple of players getting initial contracts with the NFL, it seems that the Miners had some talent on the team that Coach Dimel couldn't seem to take advantage of. But now, with several of Dimel's remaining players transferring out with the influx of new recruits on the team, I wonder if there was a noticeable drop off in talent on the team. It could be that Dimel had a first-string team that was good but dropped off badly if the second team got on the field. I remember that Mike Price had the same problem. And it looks like Coach Walden has a better grade of athletes coming in compared to what was here. Is that how you see it?
The loss of Nkele to Minnesota looks to be the only significant portal loss so far for Walden. It should be acknowledged that Dimel did a solid job of bringing in OL talent. It is unheard of for UTEP to have nearly the entire OL unit having a shot at making an NFL roster. While Klein was the only UTEP lineman drafted, Meyer and Henry also have a shot as UDFAs. If you throw in guys who have transferred up (Byers, Mayers, and Nkele), that further shows the job that Dimel was able to do to recruit into that group. I'm definitely not a fan of Dimel, but you have to give credit when due. For Walden, I think the OL is an area of concern especially in pass protection based on observations I have heard. Definitely an area to keep an eye on to see if he tries to add some transfers.

Last edited:
This is the new normal, especially with a new coach and staff. Minor losses for potential major gains.

We wanted offense, but with possible OL issues and the 3-3-5 defense I hope we are not looking at a bunch of high scoring losses like we had under Price.
Honestly, if our offense is explosive, I'll take it....

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Dimel had talent and we knew he had it, he was just stubborn with his lack of spontaneous play calling and was too predictable and too much of a nice “awe shucks” kind of coach. Thats why we were frustrated. If Walden didn’t try hard enough to keep all of these transfers then I’m sure he didn’t think much of them. He wants and is gonna get his guys for his style. Typical of college kids now that can’t handle a challenge or criticism.

The elephant in the room is the significant number of players entering the transfer portal at this time. Many of them are thanking Dimel or former coaches. I hope this is not the start of a mass exodus of experienced players and starters.
Dimel was a bad coach and an even worse offensive mind. Did he have an eye for talent? Sure. But that guy cast such a narrow recruiting net.

At the end of the day, it’s a new coach, new regime and in today’s world players can leave at any time. And as a coach it can leave you high and dry or you can use it to your advantage to clear out the roster quickly. With all of the scholarships Walden is throwing about this seems like it was expected. And if we look at the bright side, UTEP football could be on the fast track to a complete overhaul. The hell with some 5 year plan, we could have a new roster in 8 months.

t.

The elephant in the room is the significant number of players entering the transfer portal at this time. Many of them are thanking Dimel or former coaches. I hope this is not the start of a mass exodus of experienced players and starters.
Not an elephant if we can see the transfers.

Welcome to the college football portal, as I’ve said, we got to be ruthless with it. There is no such thing as loyalty anymore. Quicker we understand that as a fan base, the better.

This is the new normal, especially with a new coach and staff. Minor losses for potential major gains.

We wanted offense, but with possible OL issues and the 3-3-5 defense I hope we are not looking at a bunch of high scoring losses like we had under Price.

Honestly, if our offense is explosive, I'll take it....
Not me. What I find exciting is winning. If our team was grinding out and winning games with 20-14 and 17-10 type scores then I'd be excited. If the team was losing 42-38 and 49-45 then I'm not excited, I'm pissed. My problem with Dimel was that his poor play calling, poor clock management, and inability to instill discipline in his team cost us wins. Fast pace, slow pace, doesn't matter to me, I just want wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT