ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Baseball

abethagr8

New guy
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2019
With the amount of talent El Paso has should UTEP consider finally bringing a baseball team and would the team be successful?

• Haha
Reactions: Cube Jack
The Chihuahuas came in and took over that part of the market. Baseball at UTEP will not be happening for a long time, if ever. Let’s focus our small resources on getting football and basketball competitive.

When I was 10 I went to Dudley Field and watched a double header between UTEP and NMSU and it was literally my dad and I and like 7 other people.
...and Benji. No low income neighborhood baseball field was official without some scraggly mut wandering around. Especially before PETA got a toe hold on american society.
bencvr.jpg

With the amount of talent El Paso has should UTEP consider finally bringing a baseball team and would the team be successful?

So I felt like doing a little research. Division 1 baseball teams can give 11.7 scholarships. Schools will divide that up so that they can have 30 players on the team. This would require UTEP to match that amount with scholarships to female athletes. That would require UTEP to add some female sports, with the most logical one being swimming, since they wouldn't have to build a new facility. Cost of attendance at UTEP is estimated at $18k and when you do the math it is 18,000 x 11.7 x 2= $421,200 per year to cover the student athletes in baseball and whatever women's sport is added. In addition UTEP would have to build a facility, Southwest University Park is full with the Chihuahuas and now the Locomotives. A new facility would run at least $3 million. Now I hope you understand how crazy your question was. If they were going to add any sports, men's soccer and tennis would be the easiest and least costly. The problem with tennis is that it would be a team of foreigners, which is what the women's team is right now. I like the women's tennis team and they are great girls. There is just not enough talent in El Paso and the southwest to field a tennis team of Americans.

So I felt like doing a little research. Division 1 baseball teams can give 11.7 scholarships. Schools will divide that up so that they can have 30 players on the team. This would require UTEP to match that amount with scholarships to female athletes. That would require UTEP to add some female sports, with the most logical one being swimming, since they wouldn't have to build a new facility. Cost of attendance at UTEP is estimated at $18k and when you do the math it is 18,000 x 11.7 x 2= $421,200 per year to cover the student athletes in baseball and whatever women's sport is added. In addition UTEP would have to build a facility, Southwest University Park is full with the Chihuahuas and now the Locomotives. A new facility would run at least $3 million. Now I hope you understand how crazy your question was. If they were going to add any sports, men's soccer and tennis would be the easiest and least costly. The problem with tennis is that it would be a team of foreigners, which is what the women's team is right now. I like the women's tennis team and they are great girls. There is just not enough talent in El Paso and the southwest to field a tennis team of Americans.

A nation crazy for soccer is just a stone's throw away across the river. I'm sure you can lure some prospects from the academies in Mexico with the prospect of free education and a shot at MLS.

A nation crazy for soccer is just a stone's throw away across the river. I'm sure you can lure some prospects from the academies in Mexico with the prospect of free education and a shot at MLS.

I wonder if by definition those kids are considered professional players, especially if they sign contracts at a young age. I don’t know how the academy systems work in Mexico but in England players are sometimes offered contracts at 17. So really you would be looking at kids that weren’t good enough to progress through the academy system, and are those kids that much of a cut above American kids? Tough to say.

I wonder if by definition those kids are considered professional players, especially if they sign contracts at a young age. I don’t know how the academy systems work in Mexico but in England players are sometimes offered contracts at 17. So really you would be looking at kids that weren’t good enough to progress through the academy system, and are those kids that much of a cut above American kids? Tough to say.

If you are in the 2nd tier team you are a professional. I knew a guy that flamed out of the academy system at 13, without a contract. Depends on the situation I guess.

Baseball was seriously considered around 2005. There was an alumnus who was ready to build a baseball complex with 8 fields for tournaments. The centerpiece of the complex was going to be a 5000 seat stadium built for UTEP and leased to UTEP. Natalicio was on board. Stull was hesitant. In the end Stull decided it would best to focus on building the revenue sports which at the time were doing very well.

There is still a group of prominant donors about 8 of them who are hellbent on bringing baseball back. I do think baseball will come back to UTEP. I think the most important priority is building a winning football program. After that then bring on baseball there are people willing to fund it. Minor league baseball isnt a drawback from having a team. UNM, Fresno State, Nevada and UNLV all share their city with a minor league team.

Baseball was seriously considered around 2005. There was an alumnus who was ready to build a baseball complex with 8 fields for tournaments. The centerpiece of the complex was going to be a 5000 seat stadium built for UTEP and leased to UTEP. Natalicio was on board. Stull was hesitant. In the end Stull decided it would best to focus on building the revenue sports which at the time were doing very well.

There is still a group of prominant donors about 8 of them who are hellbent on bringing baseball back. I do think baseball will come back to UTEP. I think the most important priority is building a winning football program. After that then bring on baseball there are people willing to fund it. Minor league baseball isnt a drawback from having a team. UNM, Fresno State, Nevada and UNLV all share their city with a minor league team.

I dont know. If you’re the AD and you have people willing to drop serious cash on baseball, why have they never been convinced to drop that money to make any other sports successful? That’s either A: An awful AD, or B: bad donors

Reactions: Cube Jack
We have local baseball talent, start a team!
We need to drop football and add soccer
We should drop to D2
Why isn't athletics promoting hockey ?
UTEP should join the Mountain West
UTEP should join the Big 12
UTEP should hire (insert recently fired big name coach here)
UTEP should tear down the Don Haskins Center and build a new facility

Did I miss any?

Just saw a commercial. On Tuesday, KFOX is having a story on UTEP baseball and mentioned what it would take to bring it back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT