ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

WTF?!? "If" true...and he proves to be innocent and he becomes a Miner, holy sh!t. This kid is legit. I've watched 6-7 games and the kid always shows up. He's a handful.

I wonder if true though.

Reactions: nattybry
The guy has 401 followers. (Thats many times what I have but I don't make up news)

In other news, I checked the stats on the juco big that signed.

Underwhelming. 9.6ppg, 7.7 rpg. 37.5% from 3 on very few attempts. 6 of 16 for the year.

I hoped for 15&10.

But at least his juco team is top 10.

This kind of guy is probably only good for 5-15 minutes his first year. And maybe 15-20 as a senior.

He was ranked 24 on the top 100 list but those lists are not very accurate.
UAB signed 3 juco guys last year and the top guy, ranked 2nd in the top 100 is the worst of the 3.
6.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg in 18.2 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, he is not a bad player, just maybe top 50-70. Not 2nd.
The guy who ranked 9th is a stud. 13ppg, 10rpg,2.1 bpg and 38% from 3.

The guy has 401 followers. (Thats many times what I have but I don't make up news)

In other news, I checked the stats on the juco big that signed.

Underwhelming. 9.6ppg, 7.7 rpg. 37.5% from 3 on very few attempts. 6 of 16 for the year.

I hoped for 15&10.

But at least his juco team is top 10.

This kind of guy is probably only good for 5-15 minutes his first year. And maybe 15-20 as a senior.

He was ranked 24 on the top 100 list but those lists are not very accurate.
UAB signed 3 juco guys last year and the top guy, ranked 2nd in the top 100 is the worst of the 3.
6.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg in 18.2 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, he is not a bad player, just maybe top 50-70. Not 2nd.
The guy who ranked 9th is a stud. 13ppg, 10rpg,2.1 bpg and 38% from 3.
The eye ball check on Moreno is underwhelming as well on the few games I have seen. He has a decent interior offensive skill set, but is a limited athlete. Like Hamilton, I question his fit in UTEP's scheme defensively. Golding is going to really have to step it up in recruiting.

A couple of notes, Jeff Nwankwo, who visited UTEP but did not sign, is ranked 7th. Another miss by UTEP. Also, last year, Corey Camper checked in at 25, while Don McHenry (WKU) was ranked 46th. I like Camper, but a guy like McHenry is a far more efficient and an overall better player. Just another example of how subjective the rankings can be.

Nwankwo has not signed but he has about 15 offers. a 10% chance is probably generous.
The UNT juco guy, Jason Edwards, was ranked 15th and he is doing well. 19ppg and 38% from 3. Part of that is because they have had 2-3 guys hurt most of the year and they don't have a lot of scorers.
(They play bore you to death slowball) He is an undersized shooting guard.

It's pretty rare for juco guys to do that well their first year in d1.

Camper and his 8ppg and 30% from 3 is closer to the norm for top 75 juco guys. He should be good for 13-15 and 33-35% next year.

Hamilton looked good last night. 8 of 10 from the field.

Nwankwo has not signed but he has about 15 offers. a 10% chance is probably generous.
The UNT juco guy, Jason Edwards, was ranked 15th and he is doing well. 19ppg and 38% from 3. Part of that is because they have had 2-3 guys hurt most of the year and they don't have a lot of scorers.
(They play bore you to death slowball) He is an undersized shooting guard.

It's pretty rare for juco guys to do that well their first year in d1.

Camper and his 8ppg and 30% from 3 is closer to the norm for top 75 juco guys. He should be good for 13-15 and 33-35% next year.

Hamilton looked good last night. 8 of 10 from the field.

I like Big Ham. Just a really good touch with the ball close to the basket. Hope we see more of last night's Big Ham going forward.

The eye ball check on Moreno is underwhelming as well on the few games I have seen. He has a decent interior offensive skill set, but is a limited athlete. Like Hamilton, I question his fit in UTEP's scheme defensively. Golding is going to really have to step it up in recruiting.

A couple of notes, Jeff Nwankwo, who visited UTEP but did not sign, is ranked 7th. Another miss by UTEP. Also, last year, Corey Camper checked in at 25, while Don McHenry (WKU) was ranked 46th. I like Camper, but a guy like McHenry is a far more efficient and an overall better player. Just another example of how subjective the rankings can be.
Im not sold on any of our centers. We need a starting caliber center next year. A guy that can put pressure on opposing defenses AND defend the rim. Of the 4 guys Kalu should still be the starter, but I'm hoping Mbengue will stand out with his sheer size. Hopefully he has some decent timing and is quick and athletic enough to make a difference.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I like Big Ham. Just a really good touch with the ball close to the basket. Hope we see more of last night's Big Ham going forward.
I agree...he is really solid close to the basket. His defense in Golding's scheme HAS to improve or all it is is trading baskets. Personally, I think CJG has to adapt to what he has and change the D up a little when Ham is in.

I agree...he is really solid close to the basket. His defense in Golding's scheme HAS to improve or all it is is trading baskets. Personally, I think CJG has to adapt to what he has and change the D up a little when Ham is in.
Definitely. And really until last night, it had been a net negative with Hamilton in there. Good to see him score inside, which he is capable of doing. The issues are on the other end, of course. Unfortunately, he is not a good rebounder either, and that also has to be factored into his playing time.

Definitely. And really until last night, it had been a net negative with Hamilton in there. Good to see him score inside, which he is capable of doing. The issues are on the other end, of course. Unfortunately, he is not a good rebounder either, and that also has to be factored into his playing time.
Should be good in end of game situations where you can pull him on timeouts when you need a defender. Assuming the other team cannot foul him because 46% from the line will not cut it.

Im not sold on any of our centers. We need a starting caliber center next year. A guy that can put pressure on opposing defenses AND defend the rim. Of the 4 guys Kalu should still be the starter, but I'm hoping Mbengue will stand out with his sheer size. Hopefully he has some decent timing and is quick and athletic enough to make a difference.
Big Ham is tougher than you think. Has progressed nicely despite lack of minutes.

Reactions: groundrounds
10.4 PPG is player of the year? He is 3rd on his team in scoring.
Somehow he was Co-Player of the year in the conference with another kid from Chipola 🤷‍♂️

Probably the reason Golding got rid of him, cause like Jones, he could contribute

For those interested (and those with espn+), Jorge Moreno's team (Lee JC) was eliminated last night from the NJCAA tournament. Moreno finished with 10 pts, in about 20 minutes of PT. You can check out the game with espn+ on demand.

When Moreno signed, I viewed him as a potential replacement for Hamilton, as their skillsets (and limitations are similar). At this point, if Hamilton stays, I see these two as redundant, with Hamilton as probably the better option. It will be interesting to see where Golding goes with this, but he will need to bring in a higher level of recruit in my opinion.

For those interested (and those with espn+), Jorge Moreno's team (Lee JC) was eliminated last night from the NJCAA tournament. Moreno finished with 10 pts, in about 20 minutes of PT. You can check out the game with espn+ on demand.

When Moreno signed, I viewed him as a potential replacement for Hamilton, as their skillsets (and limitations are similar). At this point, if Hamilton stays, I see these two as redundant, with Hamilton as probably the better option. It will be interesting to see where Golding goes with this, but he will need to bring in a higher level of recruit in my opinion.
Originally recruited by Jans, Moreno looks like an upgrade to Hamilton.

Let's hope that Mbengue is a dominant rebounder and rim protector while Golding focuses on getting a PF that can score and open up whatever outside shooting we might have.

Hamilton provided some some good inside pressure towards the end of the season, but I dont see he or Moreno doing much in high profile games. I would favor Kalu or Hamilton as back ups right now.

Having 4 centers (2 being similar) is dumb unless coach plans on playing two together.

If Jones is not a starting PF (in Golding's eyes) then Golding needs to find one that is a game changer while Jones grows in at least a backup role.

Let's hope that Mbengue is a dominant rebounder and rim protector while Golding focuses on getting a PF that can score and open up whatever outside shooting we might have.

Hamilton provided some some good inside pressure towards the end of the season, but I dont see he or Moreno doing much in high profile games. I would favor Kalu or Hamilton as back ups right now.

Having 4 centers (2 being similar) is dumb unless coach plans on playing two together.

If Jones is not a starting PF (in Golding's eyes) then Golding needs to find one that is a game changer while Jones grows in at least a backup role.

Good news for Jones. 😀
Help me. What do mean bt "Good news for Jones"?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT