ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Through 5 games Maclin leads their team at 14.8 ppg. However, he only played 21.4 minutes per game. (also leads the team)
On a per 40-minute basis that's 27.7 pp40.
They play 12 guys over 10 minutes per game.
Their team is or was ranked 3rd in the country. (preseason poll) I have not seen a new poll.

Does not take a ton of 3s, just 1.8 per game. 16 steals and 14 assists. 4..2 rpg
He seems well rounded.

Last edited:
"I am very excited to welcome KJ to the Miner Basketball program. He's a West Texas kid that has all the characteristics in a guard that we want as we continue to build this roster. He's a tough, versatile athlete that has a winning pedigree leading his team to the 2023 Texas State Basketball Tournament and has been developed by one of the most well-respected men in Texas High School Basketball, Coach Leslie Broadhurst. We are excited for what KJ can bring to our program and the way he will represent us on the court, in the classroom and in the El Paso community!"
Head coach Joe Golding
----------
IF they were going to sign 2 today I would think they would hold off on the PR and combine them.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I’m a little cynical of AAU (tourney) games but it is what it is and they are litmus tests for coaches to see collectively.

He needs to hit the weight room. I don’t see him starting quickly but providing good support. Good shooter.

Reactions: axingfools1
I’m a little cynical of AAU (tourney) games but it is what it is and they are litmus tests for coaches to see collectively.

He needs to hit the weight room. I don’t see him starting quickly but providing good support. Good shooter.
I expect Golding to go hard after a lead gaurd. Hopefully he can gain some recruiting traction with some wins this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerManiac
Signed with Jans a couple years ago. What else do we know about him, train?
He's a skilled big, but an average athlete; worked to lose some extra weight. Comparison on the very high end may be a guy like Max Fiedler out of Rice, although not as good a shooter. I'm thinking more a depth guy, similar to Hamilton.

Hamilton gives good minutes and uses his beef fairly well in the paint. Hopefully Moreno will as well.

There is a lot of Basketball talent developing in Mexico. Several kids have been coming and playing high school and Juco ball. Many in this area.

It’s interesting to watch because of their soccer roots, they have great feet and are fundamentally sound. Right now foreign basketball players are better than ever and we see eastern and Western Europe, Australia, Canada, and other producing great players, Mexico is doing a solid job and is getting overlooked.

So will he be a junior next year? It will be interesting to see hiw everybody fits with Kalu, Hamilton, Babacar and now Moreno. It looks like Jones will slide in nicely at the 4 next year if Golding can keep him.

I like Camper and Terrell, but Golding really needs a seasoned leader/play maker at guard next year. Not sure if Hebb is the answer, but who knows.

So will he be a junior next year? It will be interesting to see hiw everybody fits with Kalu, Hamilton, Babacar and now Moreno. It looks like Jones will slide in nicely at the 4 next year if Golding can keep him.

I like Camper and Terrell, but Golding really needs a seasoned leader/play maker at guard next year. Not sure if Hebb is the answer, but who knows.
I think Golding will save the final two rides for portal transfers. Although they like Thomas and Terrell, I think he will look to pick up a seasoned guard as well. I could see one or two other guys leaving freeing up a couple of additional spots. With Jones, since he has already transferred once to a D1 school, the chances of keeping him improve.

Kid has some actual upside, moves well but has the same couple of moves inside the paint and is more athletic than I expected. Would def love to see him expand those moves and develop a set jump shot, think he can really help and be an impact player if he can improve those two offensive areas. Haven’t said that about very many of Goldings croots.

I didn't realize Camper, Cole and Hebb were all upperclassmen. For some reason I thought they were younger.

I was actually impressed with Cole yesterday too, albeit against what we consider lesser competition. He looked quick and has nice handles. Shot looked decent too.

Kid has some actual upside, moves well but has the same couple of moves inside the paint and is more athletic than I expected. Would def love to see him expand those moves and develop a set jump shot, think he can really help and be an impact player if he can improve those two offensive areas. Haven’t said that about very many of Goldings croots.

I looked up his stats from his last game and he was 2-2 from 3

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I wrote and called everyone on the staff two years ago about a kid here in San Antonio that I have a personal connection with. At the time, he was a low-end three-star prospect but was a freshman. I wanted them to offer him, knowing he was gonna blow up. I never got a response. He is now a junior and getting offers from UT, Kansas, and Houston. He might not have gone to UTEP, but an offer would have done wonders because he is attached to the biggest AAU in San Antonio.

I wrote and called everyone on the staff two years ago about a kid here in San Antonio that I have a personal connection with. At the time, he was a low-end three-star prospect but was a freshman. I wanted them to offer him, knowing he was gonna blow up. I never got a response. He is now a junior and getting offers from UT, Kansas, and Houston. He might not have gone to UTEP, but an offer would have done wonders because he is attached to the biggest AAU in San Antonio.
UTEP will not say but you can.

Did they respond to you? Are you a high school coach?

I never got a response nor did I expect one. But I did expect the coaching staff to make contact with someone here in San Antonio. I know that never happened. I have a feeling UTEP has burned some bridges in SA. but why not offer some of these kids as freshman before the big schools start calling. Build a relationship and even if the go to a power school they might not like it or make it. And in todays day and age of tranfers we might get another chance because of the relationship you built earlier.
I am not a coach just in the know with local basketball here.

Here is an update on Moreno.

11 games. 11.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 58.5% fg%, 45.5% from 3 on just 11 attempts.

He did not play in 1 game. His team is 11-1.

His stats last year were 10.6ppg and 6.2 rpg with 64.9% fg%.

Not as much improvement as you would expect/ hope for.

(Minutes per game is broken for Lee and many jucos)

Here is an update on Moreno.

11 games. 11.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 58.5% fg%, 45.5% from 3 on just 11 attempts.

He did not play in 1 game. His team is 11-1.

His stats last year were 10.6ppg and 6.2 rpg with 64.9% fg%.

Not as much improvement as you would expect/ hope for.

(Minutes per game is broken for Lee and many jucos)
I was able to catch a couple of his games online. TBH, I wasn't impressed. He is limited athletically which is going to be an issue against D1 players. He does offer more of a post presence offensively, which is non existent on the current roster. Defensively, it's going to be a challenge if Golding plans to have him hedge on the perimeter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT