ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Softball 🥎

It's a sport, like baseball, but with girls. It's fast-pitch, not a slow-pitch company league; I bet they'd strike you out.

Can you answer this question??

So simple, whether you or “ woke” people want to admit it, there is physical difference between men and woman.
Women can play baseball if here is ever a demand for it. Something’s are just cause that’s the way they are.

Reactions: axingfools1
So simple, whether you or “ woke” people want to admit it, there is physical difference between men and woman.
Women can play baseball if here is ever a demand for it. Something’s are just cause that’s the way they are.
I never watched women's basketball until my daughter started playing. It's all relative. Like you said though, if there is a demand then woman's baseball would be fine. That's the way it is..

OK. Enough pissing on each other over what is or isn't a sport. And yes, they did take away men's baseball for women's softball to comply with Title IX. But that was years ago and is now an old fart boring topic of discussion.
So far this season, the softball team is far and away better than any team in school history. From what I've read, the Lady Miners have a new pitcher on the team that's the real deal in the sport. Faith Aragon from Carlsbad H.S.
With the volleyball team doing well, and now the softball team up and coming, we need the women's basketball team to step up. Keitha Adams needs to bring in more than the one really good player she brought with her from her old school. If multiple women's teams do well in sports, UTEP will get noticed.

OK. Enough pissing on each other over what is or isn't a sport. And yes, they did take away men's baseball for women's softball to comply with Title IX. But that was years ago and is now an old fart boring topic of discussion.
So far this season, the softball team is far and away better than any team in school history. From what I've read, the Lady Miners have a new pitcher on the team that's the real deal in the sport. Faith Aragon from Carlsbad H.S.
With the volleyball team doing well, and now the softball team up and coming, we need the women's basketball team to step up. Keitha Adams needs to bring in more than the one really good player she brought with her from her old school. If multiple women's teams do well in sports, UTEP will get noticed.
I actually didn't know baseball was taken away because of softball. Interesting 🤔🤔

It was partially dropped due to Title IX, but there were other factors at play. Despite what @pay4dirt says, starting the softball program wasn't one of them.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I'll admit I wasn't sure of dates in my response. UTEP still had baseball when I was there. Shows how long ago I went to UTEP. I attended a class with two baseball players around 1980. The nerdy professor of the class often complained about athletics taking up too much of the university's budget. The ball players often argued with him about it. I tended to agree with them. Over the years, a lot of people have griped about baseball being dropped and rightfully so. But it is what it is. UTEP isn't going to suddenly come into a huge wad of money to do everything on everyone's wish list. We might as well enjoy what we got. If multiple women's sports do well here, that is a positive thing.

I just looked at the standings to see where we were. Even in our best year in softball in forever, we're still in 6th in the conference. Not great.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Oh, nice. Now we're in 5th. Still not great.
Tied for fourth place in 9 teams/ 1 division.
This would only be the fourth winning season in program history. The other seasons:
2007- Finished in 9th place, 28-23 (7-16); USM 18-38 (8-14).
2008: Finished in 6rh place. 30-24. 9 teams/ 1 division.
2010: Finished in 6th place. 31- 24. 9 teams/ 1 division which is the last winning season. 13 losing seasons followed (2011- 2023).

Reactions: picks up
Their best finish was in 2009 where they were one game from getting the auto bid to the NCAA tournament but lost to Tulsa in the conference tournament title game here at home. Still had a losing record. Just another UTEP sport for Title IX purposes that hasn’t garnered any success since its inception in the early part of the 00’s.

Reactions: Minerinciter
I have to give them some credit. For the most part, they have been gawd awful since they started playing. My friend's daughter was highly ranked in high school, recruited to UTEP, decided she wanted to stay home and play for the hometown team. (Previous coach) She somehow got in the doghouse with the staff and barely played her final 2 years. She stuck it out, got her degree, and was a finalist for state teacher of the year last year.
Senter got rid of that staff. They have been slowly building a program and it shows with this year's team. They are actually getting fans AND wins. If they can grab a couple more stud pitchers, they will be off to the races.
Softball isn't like hoops. You NEED more players that can impact the game, not just like 3.

I have to give them some credit. For the most part, they have been gawd awful since they started playing. My friend's daughter was highly ranked in high school, recruited to UTEP, decided she wanted to stay home and play for the hometown team. (Previous coach) She somehow got in the doghouse with the staff and barely played her final 2 years. She stuck it out, got her degree, and was a finalist for state teacher of the year last year.
Senter got rid of that staff. They have been slowly building a program and it shows with this year's team. They are actually getting fans AND wins. If they can grab a couple more stud pitchers, they will be off to the races.
Softball isn't like hoops. You NEED more players that can impact the game, not just like 3.
I'm not trying to take credit away from them. I just thought we were much better than where we are. I'm also just tired of losing everything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT