ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs FIU

Why do the Miners always let this pesky FIU game be aggressive in the end and come back SMH. I hope we don't play them in the tournament, they're annoying and we don't respond well to their intensity.

We don’t respond because Golding is not a good coach. Doesn’t know how to set up plays, doesn’t teach his players how to handle pressure. Starts his half court offense at mid court. Dumb! Players rarely set screens and when they do the the ball handler always takes it wide.

I will always root for the Miners but am disgusted with Coach Golding.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I mean it's a win, but the last 8 minutes were brutal. No chance of winning the Tourney with the way we played down the stretch and again missing free throws. Reality is, Good job on 3 wins in a row, but Golding is still who we've seen and idk if this team can win it all, but I'll be hoping!

Last edited:
I think it's obvious. We all have had doubts about this team all season and that continues. After maybe playing two of our best games of the year last week it looked really promising after the quick start tonight, but then they ended up losing their focus and intensity and became their same old crappy selves. That's all Golding. I just can't come grips with the annoying. way this happens over and over.
BTW I wonder if we'll ever find out what his deal is with Jones. It's mind boggling.

It's disappointing that a team that thrives on pressure defense, can't adjust to it on the other end.

Other teams already know that if it's a close game in the 2nd half just foul us. We can't shoot free throws.

And if they didn't already know, now they know they can also press us on the inbound. We suck breaking the press. Why we did not press them on their inbound I don't know. It would have slowed their momentum as the game wore on.

Volunteer service called last night. Who was on their best game last night? Mondo or UTEP?😁

Other teams already know that if it's a close game in the 2nd half just foul us. We can't shoot free throws.

And if they didn't already know, now they know they can also press us on the inbound. We suck breaking the press. Why we did not press them on their inbound I don't know. It would have slowed their momentum as the game wore on.
Agreed. You have to consider the skill set of our guards. All are really two guards, except for Terrell. In last night's game, Terrell was pulled down the stretch because he was so erratic against the pressure (just like the first game against FIU). FIU does a good job with their pressure defense. Just because UTEP also implements heavy ball pressure defensively that doesn't mean their personnel skill sets can handle it on the other end.

Last edited:

I kept yelling at the tv, but Golding didn’t listen!!

So I noticed in the pictures from last night, it looked like Otis was honored with seniors. Is it because he’s graduating? And if so, is this a sign that he’s transferring at the end of the season? Just giving me Souley vibes from senior night before he left. I hope I’m wrong.

So I noticed in the pictures from last night, it looked like Otis was honored with seniors. Is it because he’s graduating? And if so, is this a sign that he’s transferring at the end of the season? Just giving me Souley vibes from senior night before he left. I hope I’m wrong.
Hopefully not, but he is one of the few guys on the team who may have interest to move up, in my opinion. Plus, I don't even think guys even need a graduate waiver to be eligible immediately any more when transferring multiple times to D1 schools. There has been so many lawsuits against the NCAA that transferring is pretty much wide open. The NCAA can't even enforce NIL rules/penalties. We know guys like Sean Miller love to go shopping at CUSA.

Last edited:
Does it really matter anymore? UTEP is not going anywhere under Golding. We have no real NIL, no way to retain players and our history is dead and buried. We all saw it coming with our poor leadership and the new NCAA changes. Now it's here.

I think that’s true for all mid majors, we are now just farm teams to the Power 5.
We must accept it, or rich UTEP alumni must step up and donate like other schools.
However seems like our alumni have El Paso syndrome “It’s mine let others pay, I will wait until it’s free.”

Does it really matter anymore? UTEP is not going anywhere under Golding. We have no real NIL, no way to retain players and our history is dead and buried. We all saw it coming with our poor leadership and the new NCAA changes. Now it's here.
I thought there's about a $500,000 NIL Comparable to other teams at Utep's level. Did I miss something, that you know? I know it's not great and hasn't done much in the way of recruiting, but it is there as fast as I know.

I thought there's about a $500,000 NIL Comparable to other teams at Utep's level. Did I miss something, that you know? I know it's not great and hasn't done much in the way of recruiting, but it is there as fast as I know.
I've heard of it, but not sure how much is in there or how it's being distributed. Anyway we need more (like 1-2 million).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT