ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs WKU 2024 CUSA Championship Thread

We have never won a CUSA championship. I don’t see it happening. Needed 2 magical games just to get to a final.

Just keep Golding. Doesn’t matter
19 years and counting. CUSA has been the 2nd worst thing that has happened to this program, maybe even worse than the original MWC betrayal.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
The ice sure is making that court really slippery and dangerous for everyone!

That floor is way too slippery. Need to move the tourney next year.
Teicher brought it up during the radio broadcast.that conference officials need to address the floor issues with the arena management.

Barfarama
If you you think we're going to find a way to keep the young nucleus around, it might not be the worst thing in the world, as long as you give Terrell and Horton more playing time and Jones playing time period.

With the NIT more than likely snubbing the majority of the midmajors, I wonder what the knock on effect will be on the CBI and CIT.

23 free throws WKU second half
11 free throws UTEP second half

Can’t blame the refs completely but they controlled the game flow the second half which makes it harder for the team with all the fouls called against them to get into their rhythm. When they weren’t doing that, Solomon was giving them a hand, doing his best screw job and giving their whistles a rest. He was a complete dud tonight and put alot of the blame on his performance. Jones should of been in there instead of him.

Even through all that, the team battled, which is all I asked for and didn’t receive plenty of times this season. With that said, this tournament run is something to be proud of in my opinion. I thought they gave up a long time ago and they did the opposite come tourney time. The team should get better with losing Solomon and Powell, 2 selfish players in my eyes. Now it’s up to Golding to go out and replace that “production”, which isn’t very much and can be done in my opinion. Just hit the portal the way he did for the freshman he brought in.

Last edited:
MWC about to get 6 bids, think about that 😮‍💨
I try not to. It's hard to watch any of those teams play. We've been conference mates with every single one of those schools and every single one is leagues ahead of us. Just watching the full arenas they each play in front of and comparing it to our empty high school gyms is incredibly painful.

Huge thanks this year to Hardy. After not playing well last year, he turned into a great leader, scorer, and UTEP player this year. He exceeded my expectations by far for the year. He is one player that will really be missed from this year's team. Thank you Tae!

I was surprised that Golding was able to hold on to everyone he wanted last year, with the exception of Onyema. If we can keep Frazier, Terrell, Horten, Jones, Hamilton and Camper, maybe we can be .500 next year.

Terrel and Horton stay, Jones leaves.
I say Terrel leaves and moves up. Only way he stays is if Utep matches any offer that some of the bigger schools will throw at him. It didn't help that he won CUSA freshman of the year.

Other players it doesn't matter.

I say Terrel leaves and moves up. Only way he stays is if Utep matches any offer that some of the bigger schools will throw at him. It didn't help that he won CUSA freshman of the year.

Other players it doesn't matter.
He's not ready yet, but hey that's just the way it is now. I think he stays at least one more year though.

🤔Another 10 years plus for another shot? Go back to the WAC? (It was a joke).
Joe your team was barely above .500 in year 3 with two senior guards in a crappy conference. You are struggling on the recruiting circuit. You have minimal NIL$. Your teams don't shoot well and are horrible at defending the paint. You can't win on the road. You are stubborn with your rotations and inability to capture player momentum. You lost 2 championship games after 5 game win streaks. That last to a WKU team that was very beatable after all the chips fell your way.

I think most have succumb to the fact you will get a 4th year (Since our AD was foolish enough to give you 5 in this day and age), however to say that the fans are united is a bit premature don't you think? Recruit and win some championships next season and we'll see.

My $.02....which isn't worth much.....

With what UTEP has in place at the moment (i.e., AD, Administration, coaching), I think UTEP's strategy should be to work towards having a team get an upper half seed (1-5) in the CUSA Tourney and peak during the CUSA tournament to win it. I don't see CUSA ever getting more than one team in the NCAA Tourney. Basically, it doesn't matter what happens during the regular season as long as you are in the conference tournament and then go all out for the Championship. Until UTEP as a whole puts more emphasis (Administration) and support ($$$) towards the athletics program, I don't see the program improving its standing beyond being in CUSA and what we currently have.

I saw a post indicating that the move to CUSA may have been the worst thing to happen to UTEP, I disagree because at the time it was a lifeline out of a dire situation with the WAC. However, the onus is on UTEP to keep itself relevant and continue to develop the athletic program along with the alumni/donors to support this development (Athletics in Texas public universities rely on its own revenue generation, not on appropriations nor tuition dollars). It really comes down to the strength/support of the administration towards athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT